SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Do you need tpm

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-09, 04:27 PM
Wheel Dr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your local tire guy can install the sensor but you still have to go to lexus to set the code to your car,probably 50 bucks a wheel because they don't have to dismount the tire.
Old 06-03-09, 04:40 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tromly
If he's a rookie he might not know, but any tech whose worked for over six months at the dealership would know. Anyone who goes to this SC forum knows how to disable, are we smarter than a certified tech ??
I should think no Lexus tech would know how to disable the system as their not allowed to, so would not be under the training.

Of course if they came here they would know.
Old 06-04-09, 08:34 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

It sounds like what we should be asking is whether anyone knows how to train the tire pressure receiver controller to accept a new sensor. Can it be done with an OBD tester, or through the Nav touch screen or is there special dealer only gear that is required? (I suspect that the latter is not the case.)

I don't own the service manual, does anyone else? It is probably mentioned in there.
Old 06-04-09, 09:10 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aquanuke
I should think no Lexus tech would know how to disable the system as their not allowed to, so would not be under the training.

Of course if they came here they would know.
You're right about that aquanuke, however most of the techs I've spoken with actually look at this forum, since they know firsthand how much beneficial info is exchanged. Your point is well taken
Old 06-04-09, 11:51 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I did a (not so) quick search on the web for methods to retrain the receiver to listen for a new TPM and found only one site, so far, that had any information whatsoever.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_monitors.htm

Here's a statement from that site:
<<<<<>>>>>
On most Asian import applications, each sensor has a code that is programmed into the TPMS control module at the factory. If one or more of these original equipment sensors is later replaced with an OEM or aftermarket sensor, the new sensor code(s) must be manually programmed into the TPMS system using a scan tool. That means a trip to the dealer if you do not have a factory scan tool or an aftermarket scan tool with the appropriate software in your shop. Vehicles that currently require this kind of reprogramming include most Hyundai, Infiniti, Kia, Lexus, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota models.
<<<<<>>>>>
That implies that special tools are required to do it yourself, which may or may not be a problem depending on the availability and cost of the "tools".

When I had DTC install my new tires a year or so ago, I also had them install new TPM kits (replaces all the o-rings and seals in the TPMs to prevent and stop leaks). It was a cheap $5 or $10 or so for each tire and stopped the leaks dead that I had previously. So it might be worth a call to them to see if they replace TPMs and can retrain the receiver also. It might be fairly cheap.
Old 06-04-09, 02:59 PM
jimbo409
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tpm

Thanks for all the great information, One other thing ,If I put on new non run flat tires on my original rims do I need to have the sensors reprogramed. Could a regular tire shop do this or do I have to have the tires remounted at Lexus. Thanks Jimbo
Old 06-04-09, 03:39 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

changing to non runflats won't effect your sensors. any tire shop should be able to handle it.
Old 06-04-09, 04:38 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus will encourage you to bring them the car when changing tires (gee, I wonder why?). They will insinuate that you're taking a chance on it not being done "right" unless you bring it to them.

But the truth is.....any major tire shop can do it.....it's their business.
Old 06-08-09, 07:51 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I just checked with the Director of Automotive Training Development with the
Tire Industry Association (I got his email address off an article on the web) and he said that replacing a sensor requires a scanning tool to input the new sensor information and then another tool to connect through the OBDII connector to retrain the monitoring system. He also said that most tire stores, including Costco, are either in the process of getting the equipment or already have it. He said that they typically won't charge for setting the system up, just the cost of the sensor and the work to install it.

So your non-dealer tire stores either already can or will soon be able to replace a TPM and retrain your system much cheaper than the dealer. So check out the tire stores before paying the big bucks to the dealer.
Old 06-08-09, 08:13 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

I just talked with the manager of a Discount Tire store that I go to and he said they will do sensor work for some makes of cars, but he said they don't do any sensor work on makes that would actually require them to "program the computer." He specifically mentioned Lexus, Mercedes and BMW's as the types of cars they do not do sensor work on.

So what I'm understanding is that they can do any kind of wheel/tire work you need, as long as the sensors are working. But if you've got a bad sensor/battery, Lexus is still the only place that can deal with that problem. My mechanic that I've used for years also said I would have to take it to Lexus to get the sensors replaced. It's the only thing he's ever not been able to help me on.
Old 06-08-09, 10:36 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I just called DTC in my area (Dallas/Plano) and he confirmed what you found TooCool. I called Costco and he said that they probably can do it (he would need some time to check into it). I called an independent garage (Davenport) that does almost exclusive Lexus repair and they said that they can replace the sensors and retrain the system.

According to the guy with the Tire Industry, if tire stores don't currently have the capability, they will before too long. Apparently his association is helping to push that through.
Hope that helps,
Harold
Old 06-08-09, 12:07 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Harold57
According to the guy with the Tire Industry, if tire stores don't currently have the capability, they will before too long. Apparently his association is helping to push that through.
Well, I wish they would hurry it up. My TPM light is on and there's no way I'm going to pay $1,000 to get it turned off.
Old 06-08-09, 05:17 PM
Yes

Originally Posted by TooCoolSC
Well, I wish they would hurry it up. My TPM light is on and there's no way I'm going to pay $1,000 to get it turned off.
do you have runflats? if not, you should disable it. if you do have runflats, you should get it fixed. but if it's going to cost $1,000, i'd invest that in new tires and disable it anyway.
Old 06-08-09, 10:27 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jason702
do you have runflats? if not, you should disable it. if you do have runflats, you should get it fixed. but if it's going to cost $1,000, i'd invest that in new tires and disable it anyway.
No, I don't have run flats. I've thought long and hard about disabling the system....I'd just prefer not to if I could get it corrected at a reasonable price. The problem is.....it's not reasonable.

My tire professional and my mechanic have both encouraged me to disable the system. They both said they would do it if it was their car, especially my mechanic. He HATES the TPM system.
Old 06-09-09, 12:41 AM
Yes

eventually, it'll start beeping every 15 seconds. at that point you won't have much choice.

Quick Reply: Do you need tpm