SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Do you need tpm

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-09, 07:27 PM
jimbo409
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you need tpm

I have a stupid question. What happens if you put a set of wheels and tires that don't have the tpm installed. Will the light and beeper stay on Thanks jim
Old 06-02-09, 07:57 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

yes. unless you disconnect it, which is easy to do.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...pm-system.html
Old 06-03-09, 05:45 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

As long as you're getting rid of the run-flats, it's no big deal to disconnect the TPMS. However, I personally think you'd be crazy to drive with run-flats and no TPMS...that's just asking for trouble.

I replaced my run-flats with non-run-flats about 2 years ago, but kept the TPMS system. I've now had 3 of the 4 sensors die on me and get replaced by the dealership (under warranty, thankfully). The system can be a bit of a pain and certainly is finicky sometimes, but I think it's worth a little bit of aggravation for the peace of mind that it provides.

I know I SHOULD check my tire pressure every week...I don't. The TPMS has helped me find a slow leak in one tire (wasn't seating properly on the rim) and notified me once of a flat before I started to drive away (the flat was on the right-rear, out of site).

Last edited by Habious; 06-03-09 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Spelt a werd rong.
Old 06-03-09, 07:54 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Habious
I've now had 3 of the 4 sensors die on me and get replaced by the dealership (under warranty, thankfully). The system can be a bit of a pain and certainly is finicky sometimes, but I think it's worth a little bit of aggravation for the peace of mind that it provides.
Habious, do you have any idea what you would have paid if it hadn't been covered under the warranty? I'm thinking I've got a sensor problem right now, but I don't know how many are involved. Just wondering what I should expect to have to pay.
Old 06-03-09, 08:24 AM
Yes

Originally Posted by TooCoolSC
Habious, do you have any idea what you would have paid if it hadn't been covered under the warranty? I'm thinking I've got a sensor problem right now, but I don't know how many are involved. Just wondering what I should expect to have to pay.
i replaced one. it was $225 at lexus.

However, I personally think you'd be crazy to drive with run-flats and no TPMS...that's just asking for trouble.
i assumed he would be going to non runflats if he's putting on new tires and wheels. but if he's sticking with runflats, yeah it would be a very bad idea to disconnect the TPS.
Old 06-03-09, 09:51 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jason702
i replaced one. it was $225 at lexus.
That's expensive.... I paid $436/ttl. for 4 of them @ my local Lexus dealer in February.
Old 06-03-09, 10:11 AM
Yes

Originally Posted by intdiamond
That's expensive.... I paid $436/ttl. for 4 of them @ my local Lexus dealer in February.
there's only one dealership in vegas. and they're complete douchebags. this was shortly after i bought my car. i had a couple problems with them since then and i'll never go back.
Old 06-03-09, 10:36 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jason702
there's only one dealership in vegas. and they're complete douchebags. this was shortly after i bought my car. i had a couple problems with them since then and i'll never go back.
And unfortunately, for this particular problem, this is one of the very few things my regular mechanic can't do. He told me I would HAVE to go to Lexus to get the sensor/TPM problem fixed. Wonderful.....

Looks like they've got people over a barrel and they know it. $225 seems completely absurd. No doubt that they are gouging.
Old 06-03-09, 11:07 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Get this....I just called my Lexus dealer and asked them about replacing the sensors. He told me they are $160 a piece and $150 to put it in...so $310 per sensor!

Everyone I talk to about this (tire professionals, my mechanic) tells me that they would disable the TPMS if it were them, and that even goes for the Lexus service guy. They can't disable it for you because of liability issues.

Strangely, the Lexus service guy said he knew nothing about disabling the TPM....and knew nothing about the two plugs under the radio that disables the system.

I'm not sure what to think about that. If he really doesn't know about it, what does that say....since he's a Lexus service guy? And if he DOES know about it, then he's lying. Neither one is good.
Old 06-03-09, 12:37 PM
Yes

Get this....I just called my Lexus dealer and asked them about replacing the sensors. He told me they are $160 a piece and $150 to put it in...so $310 per sensor!

Everyone I talk to about this (tire professionals, my mechanic) tells me that they would disable the TPMS if it were them, and that even goes for the Lexus service guy. They can't disable it for you because of liability issues.

Strangely, the Lexus service guy said he knew nothing about disabling the TPM....and knew nothing about the two plugs under the radio that disables the system.

I'm not sure what to think about that. If he really doesn't know about it, what does that say....since he's a Lexus service guy? And if he DOES know about it, then he's lying. Neither one is good.
At that rate, they would be charging an hour of labor per sensor. Which is complete BS. The entire job should only take one hour.
Old 06-03-09, 01:22 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm betting that the reason they "don't know how to disable the TPMS system" is that it's illegal for shops, dealers, or anyone in fact to disable, or modify the TPMS system per FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and Regulations) 138 and 49 U.S.C. 30122(b).
Old 06-03-09, 02:27 PM
flygirl62
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's not lying...just doesn't want to tell you that he knows how, but won't.
Old 06-03-09, 03:20 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Should be about $200/tire
Old 06-03-09, 03:25 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If he's a rookie he might not know, but any tech whose worked for over six months at the dealership would know. Anyone who goes to this SC forum knows how to disable, are we smarter than a certified tech ??
Old 06-03-09, 04:10 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A good wheel shop should install your TPMS sensors for around $100- TOTAL.

Quick Reply: Do you need tpm