SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Is the SC430 boring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-09, 11:23 PM
ERicincal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for everyones responses. I wasnt looking to cause a stir or call your cars boring. What I meant by "bored" was do you tend to look at the new cars coming out these days with uber- horsepower make you want to get something different? I am looking at getting this car because I am getting older and comfort is starting to be more important than just performance numbers. I also like the fact that it is not very ostentatious. I am just worried that after a year or so, I will be looking for another car with a bit more power.

How long have you all have your SC430s?
Old 06-14-09, 04:00 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ERicincal
Thanks for everyones responses. I wasnt looking to cause a stir or call your cars boring. What I meant by "bored" was do you tend to look at the new cars coming out these days with uber- horsepower make you want to get something different? I am looking at getting this car because I am getting older and comfort is starting to be more important than just performance numbers. I also like the fact that it is not very ostentatious. I am just worried that after a year or so, I will be looking for another car with a bit more power.

I've had my SC for three years, will keep it untill 2020, if I don't die first. Hope Lexus comes out with another roadster.
Old 06-14-09, 06:09 AM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TooCoolSC
So don't be pickin' your nose in it. People will definitely see you.
Whaaaaaat????

NOW you tell me.
Old 06-14-09, 07:20 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I am just worried that after a year or so, I will be looking for another car with a bit more power.
as we've found, drive in the PWR setting.
the 430 becomes a rocket, with same or better mpg.

enjoy your 430!
Old 06-14-09, 07:36 AM
Scott R
Pit Crew

I just my black '02 SC430, so it's probably no surprise that it's not boring to me yet. Depending on your personality, you may get bored with any car after owning it for a year, two years, three years, whatever your usual limit is. I owned an '07 RX-8 which I absolutely loved to drive. If they made a convertible RX-8, I'd have probably gotten one. My brother got a convertible BMW 3-series (previous body style) and it gave me the bug for a convertible. The features I was looking for were (in no particular order):

- Convertible
- Back seats (I have a 10-year-old daughter and needed somewhere to squeeze her into so that all three of us could go for a drive)
- Decent power/handling (handling was more important to me than speed)
- High-level of build quality (ideally Japanese, but American cars were probably out of consideration)
- Less than $25K.

I also considered the Audi A4, Saab 9-3, BMW 3-series (including M3), Mini Cooper, and probably one or two others I'm forgetting. The only other one I got around to test-driving, and which was high in the running for me, was the BMW 3-series. It probably would have given me better handling than the SC430. I was concerned, though, about reliability (especially after one that I test-drove sprung a leak in the coolant right after pulling it back in from the test-drive).

The one other feature that wasn't on my list of must-have's, but which I have to say I really love about the SC430 and will likely keep it from being boring for quite a while, is that there aren't many out there. BMW 3-series, especially the previous body style (an '07 3-series would have been beyond my budget), are a dime a dozen, as are Audi's and Saab's (there's a Saab dealer in my town, so we have quite a few of those on the road near me). Mini's are all over the place (less convertibles, but they all look the same). And with the SC430 being discontinued, and the newest model looking nearly identical to the '02, we'll have a rare car that looks just like the latest one they ever made.
Old 06-14-09, 10:37 AM
Jackalope
Pole Position

As you see in my signature, I've got a C5 Corvette. It puts out 350 HP and in 2000, that was a mean SOB. Now they're selling cars with over 600 HP. NOTHING you get will be the top dog indefinitely. On the other hand, a luxurious, moderately good handling car with decent acceleration, if well cared for, kept immaculate and running properly will always be a thing of beauty and envy.
Old 06-15-09, 09:55 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

everyone has a different excuse to feel "bored" at some point in time and each one is unique to their acquired flavor and taste.

As this model is dropped from the current lineup in the not too far distant future, the unique-ness of this model will retain it's elegance and glory from when it was first conceived back in '02.

I'm not going into a 10,000 word essay so I think everyone here that knows me what my answer is.

peace...
Old 06-15-09, 11:06 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

If you mean by "boring", will you get the itch to move on to something else...well the answer is yes. I get that itch within a year with every car I've ever owned!
I've had mine a little more than a year, and have fiddled with adding this and that, but no major mods to it.
Prior to buying mine, I didn't do much research on available mods to get a little more HP. Having owned a Vette, I figured there would be plenty of stuff like intakes, chips, etc. to get 50-60 more HP readily available. Well, that's not the case with this vehicle.
Everytime I think about what I would get should I sell the 430, I come up empty finding a better car for what we like to do with it - cruising.
It's a unique vehicle that exudes luxury and style. You pull up in front of a hotel, and this is one of the cars they let you park right out front, instead of the garage.
I also doubt you'll find a better value for your money - buy one!
Old 06-15-09, 11:21 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I owned one, a 2004, for several years and I would consider it boring. Why? I was coming off a 2002 Z-06 Corvette and was, incorrectly, expecting some spirited acceleration. The SC was good car by every other measure except performance.
Old 06-22-09, 08:31 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought my SC in July of 2001. Every time I look at it, I like it more. Every time I drive it, I like it more. I'll own this car until it dies or I do (guess what's gonna be around longer).

Putting it away every winter might have something to do with my never-ending appreciation of this car ... or maybe not.

Definitely not bored.
Old 06-22-09, 12:26 PM
ERicincal
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for all of your input. I went ahead and made the plunge and bought the SC430. So far, with the exception of the issue with the run flat tires, I like the car a lot. While not quick off the line, once she gets moving, she is a lot of fun.
Old 06-22-09, 01:04 PM
jontoronto
Driver School Candidate

Enjoy it in good health!
Old 06-22-09, 02:53 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Thank you for all of your input. I went ahead and made the plunge and bought the SC430. So far, with the exception of the issue with the run flat tires, I like the car a lot. While not quick off the line, once she gets moving, she is a lot of fun.
Put it in "Power" mode and use the tiptronic system to shift. It's alot "spunkier".

If you're an aggressive driver, you may want to disconnect the battery for an hour, and let the ECU relearn your lead foot
Old 06-22-09, 02:57 PM
ERicincal
Driver School Candidate

actually, I am finding with this car, I am starting to drive like an old man. LOL. Im starting her up at lights slow and smooth, going around corners slowly, and accelerating gently. Its fun growing old. LOL.
Old 06-22-09, 04:53 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

actually, I am finding with this car, I am starting to drive like an old man. LOL. Im starting her up at lights slow and smooth, going around corners slowly, and accelerating gently. Its fun growing old. LOL.
I'm 61, never in a hurry to go anywhere, my kids think I should get tickets for going too slow. Never had my SC over 85, boring? NEVER ! I love my car and it still generates alot of compliments, why, because there aren't many around !

Quick Reply: Is the SC430 boring?