SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Is the SC430 boring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-09, 12:22 AM
ERicincal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the SC430 boring?

Hey guys, I am new to this forum and I am looking for your opinions. I have been reading a lot here and love the information. I am thinking of buying a 05 sc430 tomorrow but I am worried that after a year or so, its going to start getting boring. I love the quality of the car, the quietness, and the look (with wheels and body kits). I am just concerned that its more of a cruiser and not a canyon carver.

My other cars have always been more geared towards performance over comfort. (90 Porsche 944S2 Cabrio, 94 NSX, 03 S2000, 04 RX8, 04 Mazdaspeed Trubo Flyin Miata). This car is going to be the slowest car of the bunch.

I do plan on adding intake and exhaust, so hopefully the performance will increase? (comments?) I guess, do you guys start getting bored knowing that the new cars (30-40K) now run 0-60 1-2 seconds quicker and finish the quarters 10 mph faster?

How long have you all had your SC430s?

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-13-09, 04:03 AM
carbuff
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

The SC is not a performance car. It does not look like one, it does not drive like one and it does not ride like one.

The SC is a sedate and luxurious cruiser. It sits the driver and passenger in elegance. This is not to say that it cannot provide power and speed. It is just that power and speed are simply other factors that this car has in addition to its quality build, elegant design and eternal presence.

You will be disappointed if you expect it to dive into curves at full throttle and slide through them with road-gripping control. And, although it is not sluggish pealing away when the light turns green, do not expect it to stimulate your senses with a verve that excites. If you want that kind of thrill, stick with what you have had in the past.

I have had many of those "thrill" cars when I was young. Today, I would not trade my SC for any one of those bone-rattling rides. I like the ride I get in my convertible on nice days and my coupe of not such nice days.

Good luck with your investigation but remember, no one buys the SC thinking it will match the Porsche in any way other than quality of build.
Old 06-13-09, 06:03 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ERicincal
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and I am looking for your opinions. I have been reading a lot here and love the information. I am thinking of buying a 05 sc430 tomorrow but I am worried that after a year or so, its going to start getting boring. I love the quality of the car, the quietness, and the look (with wheels and body kits). I am just concerned that its more of a cruiser and not a canyon carver.

My other cars have always been more geared towards performance over comfort. (90 Porsche 944S2 Cabrio, 94 NSX, 03 S2000, 04 RX8, 04 Mazdaspeed Trubo Flyin Miata). This car is going to be the slowest car of the bunch.

I do plan on adding intake and exhaust, so hopefully the performance will increase? (comments?) I guess, do you guys start getting bored knowing that the new cars (30-40K) now run 0-60 1-2 seconds quicker and finish the quarters 10 mph faster?

How long have you all had your SC430s?

Thanks for your help!
I'm 61 and have had alot of fast cars in the past, when I purchased my SC three years ago, I could never have predicted the number of compliments it generates. If you want speed and agility, don't purchase the SC, it was never engineered to compete with a Porsche. But, if you want the best interior, a smooth quiet ride, and head turning style buy a SC430. Your friends and total strangers will be envious, the resale value will hold it's own, and the reliability is second to none. I would guesstimate that 90% of SC owners love their cars, no other nameplate comes close. Good luck with your purchasing decision.
Old 06-13-09, 07:03 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a 2005 pebble beach , Its the best darn car I ever owned drove etc etc . I also have had the racers and the killer speed demons . I am 64 feel like 34 , I just love the ride

Buddy
Old 06-13-09, 09:53 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is the SC430 boring?

Mines not

BBK really makes a difference, being able to brake late and having more confidence to drive faster into corners and short stretches. Also coilovers and anti-swaybars are a must if you want more fun without ending up in a ditch at the side of the road.
Old 06-13-09, 09:57 AM
jontoronto
Driver School Candidate

I currently own an SL55 amg, sc430 and a G37 (wife drives the SL mainly)

I can't remember the last time I got into anything but the sc430. No other ride matches it.
My best friend has a GT continental and that would be the only other ride that compares when it comes to comfort and feel (in my opinion of course)

It's not about the speed with this car, it's about the feeling when you open the door and sit down. Heck, even my father drives a z4 convertible and it doesn't even come close to the comfort and design. If you are in it for the speed, I don't think you will enjoy it.
Old 06-13-09, 10:14 AM
LexFather

SC is a GT, period and the posters above are correct. (Btw nice fun stable of cars)

The other thing that haunts the SC is the media and internet toolz. It simply is not an adored car by people who think Car and Driver is the bible and basically hate Lexus. Owners love the car and swear by it and fanbois will bash the car endlessly. Its one of those hate/love vehicles. Thus I think you think its "boring" is from those outlets.

We have seen completely modded SCs, BBK, Turbo, coils etc and sure it helps but it is not a sports car.

What is boring? Some people find excitement in how the SC coddles its driver in luxury and refinement. Some people get excitement knowing its the best built or one of the best built cars ever made. Some get excitement in other ways like racing at green lights or going to the track.

The SC will be unlike anything you have owned. Its up to you to decide will it be boring or not.
Old 06-13-09, 02:22 PM
driftway
Driver School Candidate

I'll tell you what's boring: the fact that it seems every other car in my area is a benz, bmw or porsche. If you want to be one of the pack, get one of those. If you want to stand out, and have one of the best convertibles ever made, get an SC.
Old 06-13-09, 05:12 PM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I continue to feel privileged each time I take my 430 out.
like I've earned it.
that's not boring.
Old 06-13-09, 05:18 PM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it boring? No.

It's not a performance car, but it will handle well considering what it is designed to do. It also has decent acceleration. But if you want to compete with a Porsche, well, you'll have to do what I do....
Old 06-13-09, 05:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Jackalope
Is it boring? No.

It's not a performance car, but it will handle well considering what it is designed to do. It also has decent acceleration. But if you want to compete with a Porsche, well, you'll have to do what I do....
Love the sig quote Try to make it out to a meet in GA sometime.
Old 06-13-09, 05:35 PM
Jackalope
Pole Position

A meet? What kind of meet?
Old 06-13-09, 08:26 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ERicincal
I disagreed. Unless you are talking about speed on a race track when turns are involved, in a straight line, a stock SC430 is only a hair slower then a 94 NSX and a 90 944S2. The SC430 is dead even with a 03 S2000 in the 1/4, and the SC430 is quicker then the torque less RX8 and the Mazdaspeed Miata with way less power. Unless all of the cars you listed are heavily modded.

A stock SC430 is pretty quick, even in today's standard. 0-60 in high 5s and 1/4 in the low 14s. That is very respectable for a luxury convertible GT.
Old 06-13-09, 09:27 PM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

Yes, the car is boring after awhile....

Was that what you wanted/needed to hear?

Come on...you post in this SC430 forum and really expect the members here to say that their cars are boring? Anyone who still reads this forum will of course still love their cars, anyone who felt it was boring would have sold it and moved on already.

But to be honest, what do you mean by "boring" anyway? If you mean less-performance orientated, than sure it's one boring car (in comparision to the myriad of cars out there). But if you consider the things you can do in this car, turning an unexpecting tourer into something fierce, then heck no it's not boring.

At the risk of sounding even more preachy than I already sound, the type of car a person buys reflects his/her personality. If you plan on buying this car, I'd guess you to be a person of class and subtlety who prioritizes comfort and luxory over performance.

That being said, if you like a challenge, the SC430 can definitely be made into a beast at the tracks. A little research will provide the answers you'll need...
Old 06-13-09, 11:12 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

It's not boring to me. Every time I get in it, I am proud as can be.

I feel like I'm in the picture window at Macy's when I drive it, especially if the top is down. So don't be pickin' your nose in it. People will definitely see you.

Quick Reply: Is the SC430 boring?