SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

That’s it!! Enough from the poor performance of my SC!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-09, 10:39 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With turbo, a proper heat insulation and cooling system are neccessary. Otherwise, overheating can be a big problem. Actually with $2K-3K, not much power can be added. I don't think NOS is very convenient when your area doesn't have a lot racing shops to fill the bottle. Well, you may add a set of hi-performance headers and a complete exhaust system along with a piggyback ECU to tune it. Also, send the cams out to customize them. You may marginally do all of these above for $3K and will gain around 40-50 rwhp that equals to 70-80 bhp. That's a lot of hp to have. You'll still need to have your parts done at the right shops or sent to the right place.
Old 06-15-09, 08:57 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevechumo
With turbo, a proper heat insulation and cooling system are neccessary. Otherwise, overheating can be a big problem. Actually with $2K-3K, not much power can be added. I don't think NOS is very convenient when your area doesn't have a lot racing shops to fill the bottle. Well, you may add a set of hi-performance headers and a complete exhaust system along with a piggyback ECU to tune it. Also, send the cams out to customize them. You may marginally do all of these above for $3K and will gain around 40-50 rwhp that equals to 70-80 bhp. That's a lot of hp to have. You'll still need to have your parts done at the right shops or sent to the right place.
thank you for the info. I like your car and the mods in it

as you said the overheating problem is the main issue with turbos and this is why I stopped dealing withem. NOS idea was an option that I dropped after all CL members advized me not to go for it and thank you for highliting the refill issue as it could be a true additional reason.
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
  3. [*]
  4. [*]
any suggesstions?
Old 06-15-09, 11:13 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

# Searching for the S&S headers to buy it. Dont know where to find it US$???

ssheaders.com or l-tunedparts.com but they just order them from s&s anyway

# Searching for exuhast system! Dont know which one to go for !! US$???

I would go to a decent exhaust shop and have a custom one made, ready made there is the Blitz one again l-tunedparts.com

# Searching for PI dragon torque converter to buy it. US$???

l-tunedparts.com again
Old 06-16-09, 08:14 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aquanuke
# Searching for the S&S headers to buy it. Dont know where to find it US$???

ssheaders.com or l-tunedparts.com but they just order them from s&s anyway

# Searching for exuhast system! Dont know which one to go for !! US$???

I would go to a decent exhaust shop and have a custom one made, ready made there is the Blitz one again l-tunedparts.com

# Searching for PI dragon torque converter to buy it. US$???

l-tunedparts.com again
Thanks
am working on it
Old 06-16-09, 09:54 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

I agree to all of the above by aquanuke. Also, there's an alternative place to get the torque converter. Go to www.lextreme.com and David (the owner) can have it rebuilt for 1/3 of the price and it'll be as good as the PI torque converter. I'm using it and running at 378 rwtq with no problems. I still suspect my actual rwtq could me more. The advantage of the rebuilt one is that you can request for any high tall speed that you want, there won't be check engine light (I was told the PI torque converter threw the CEL in some 2000+ SC and LS), very strong, cheaper, and life-time guarantee as long as you have the car.

For any high stall speed torque converter, you should always add an extra tranny cooler because the fluid will be hotter.
Old 06-20-09, 10:34 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stevechumo
I agree to all of the above by aquanuke. Also, there's an alternative place to get the torque converter. Go to www.lextreme.com and David (the owner) can have it rebuilt for 1/3 of the price and it'll be as good as the PI torque converter. I'm using it and running at 378 rwtq with no problems. I still suspect my actual rwtq could me more. The advantage of the rebuilt one is that you can request for any high tall speed that you want, there won't be check engine light (I was told the PI torque converter threw the CEL in some 2000+ SC and LS), very strong, cheaper, and life-time guarantee as long as you have the car.

For any high stall speed torque converter, you should always add an extra tranny cooler because the fluid will be hotter.
thanks for the great info. i emaild David 4 days aga bu the did not replyed?!!
Old 06-21-09, 12:32 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Turboo
thanks for the great info. i emaild David 4 days aga bu the did not replyed?!!
You're very welcome. I believe David is currently busy on some projects, but I'm sure he'll get back with you soon.
Old 06-26-09, 02:09 PM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all,

I have reached my limits on the poor performance of my SC engine!! My car is 2004 SC430 with 25K mileage only and well maintained in the dealer workshop. However, the engine performance is not at all satisfactory to me!! I know that the SC is a luxurious car and was never designed to be a racing car but guys I think you agree with me that the SC has an aggressive look that shouts loudly “I have a V8 4.3 engine, so don’t think of beating me easily”.
In reality, most other sport cars can beat it easily!! Here are some of my experiences with some of my friends:-
First 0 to 100:-
1. Z350 2006 auto gear “was a head of me by at least two meters!”
2. Infinity j35 coupe 2007 “same results like Z350”
3. Ford Mustang GT auto “exactly next to me till we reached 60 then he was a little bit ahead”
4. GMC Sierra 2008 pickup auto “was a head by at least 3 meters”
5. BMW Z4 3.0 auto “SC was a head by 2 meter then he was next me when we reached 100”
6. SC 400 with 2J Twin turbo engine “could not see his back lights even, he was in front by at least 12 meters”

Second full speed:-

7. Z350 2006 auto gear “I was a head and able to beat him after 135M/H”
8. Infinity j35 coupe 2007 “same results like Z350 but he was closer”
9. Ford Mustang GT auto “I was able to beat him after 130M/H”
10. GMC Sierra 2008 pickup auto “after 120M/H it was bye bye for him”
11. BMW Z4 3.0 auto “was behind all the way till I reached full speed 150M/H”
12. SC 400 with 2J Twin turbo engine “This was a miserable experience for me as although I was at 150M/H he was waiting for me to reach him the he vanished as if I was driving at 20M/H ”

So guys I am open for any suggestions to increase the take off performance of my SC especially from 0 to 100.
Buy a Corvette, kick their butts and then go home and get the SC.
Old 06-26-09, 03:01 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i dont have an Sc, but had a gs400 almost same drive train
get these mods this that order, will help u. SC is just a heavy car. You really cant do much, but these mods should help you.

torque converter PI Dragon (should help with pick up) best mod you can do should cost around 700$ for part and 500$ labor

Exhaust- get a full exhaust ( i had greddy evo2)

Differential- maybe supra's
Headers
intake -

Hi all,

I have reached my limits on the poor performance of my SC engine!! My car is 2004 SC430 with 25K mileage only and well maintained in the dealer workshop. However, the engine performance is not at all satisfactory to me!! I know that the SC is a luxurious car and was never designed to be a racing car but guys I think you agree with me that the SC has an aggressive look that shouts loudly “I have a V8 4.3 engine, so don’t think of beating me easily”.
In reality, most other sport cars can beat it easily!! Here are some of my experiences with some of my friends:-
First 0 to 100:-
1. Z350 2006 auto gear “was a head of me by at least two meters!”
2. Infinity j35 coupe 2007 “same results like Z350”
3. Ford Mustang GT auto “exactly next to me till we reached 60 then he was a little bit ahead”
4. GMC Sierra 2008 pickup auto “was a head by at least 3 meters”
5. BMW Z4 3.0 auto “SC was a head by 2 meter then he was next me when we reached 100”
6. SC 400 with 2J Twin turbo engine “could not see his back lights even, he was in front by at least 12 meters”

Second full speed:-

7. Z350 2006 auto gear “I was a head and able to beat him after 135M/H”
8. Infinity j35 coupe 2007 “same results like Z350 but he was closer”
9. Ford Mustang GT auto “I was able to beat him after 130M/H”
10. GMC Sierra 2008 pickup auto “after 120M/H it was bye bye for him”
11. BMW Z4 3.0 auto “was behind all the way till I reached full speed 150M/H”
12. SC 400 with 2J Twin turbo engine “This was a miserable experience for me as although I was at 150M/H he was waiting for me to reach him the he vanished as if I was driving at 20M/H ”

So guys I am open for any suggestions to increase the take off performance of my SC especially from 0 to 100.