SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

That’s it!! Enough from the poor performance of my SC!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-09, 09:59 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry That’s it!! Enough from the poor performance of my SC!!

Hi all,

I have reached my limits on the poor performance of my SC engine!! My car is 2004 SC430 with 25K mileage only and well maintained in the dealer workshop. However, the engine performance is not at all satisfactory to me!! I know that the SC is a luxurious car and was never designed to be a racing car but guys I think you agree with me that the SC has an aggressive look that shouts loudly “I have a V8 4.3 engine, so don’t think of beating me easily”.
In reality, most other sport cars can beat it easily!! Here are some of my experiences with some of my friends:-
First 0 to 100:-
1. Z350 2006 auto gear “was a head of me by at least two meters!”
2. Infinity j35 coupe 2007 “same results like Z350”
3. Ford Mustang GT auto “exactly next to me till we reached 60 then he was a little bit ahead”
4. GMC Sierra 2008 pickup auto “was a head by at least 3 meters”
5. BMW Z4 3.0 auto “SC was a head by 2 meter then he was next me when we reached 100”
6. SC 400 with 2J Twin turbo engine “could not see his back lights even, he was in front by at least 12 meters”

Second full speed:-

7. Z350 2006 auto gear “I was a head and able to beat him after 135M/H”
8. Infinity j35 coupe 2007 “same results like Z350 but he was closer”
9. Ford Mustang GT auto “I was able to beat him after 130M/H”
10. GMC Sierra 2008 pickup auto “after 120M/H it was bye bye for him”
11. BMW Z4 3.0 auto “was behind all the way till I reached full speed 150M/H”
12. SC 400 with 2J Twin turbo engine “This was a miserable experience for me as although I was at 150M/H he was waiting for me to reach him the he vanished as if I was driving at 20M/H ”

So guys I am open for any suggestions to increase the take off performance of my SC especially from 0 to 100.
Old 06-13-09, 10:22 PM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search forum...many informative posts.

Funny that you should mention all those defeats...I've *cough* out performed those cars before and that was with modest modifications. Perhaps you should use the "manual" shifting technique?
Old 06-13-09, 11:38 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CAMAracer
Search forum...many informative posts.

Funny that you should mention all those defeats...I've *cough* out performed those cars before and that was with modest modifications. Perhaps you should use the "manual" shifting technique?
My dear I tried all possible way starting from manual shifting to pressing the paddle as hard as I could till my feet was almost going to touch the street below the car!!!!

I used to drive a Toyota Supra 1995 with Fuel injection and manual shift and all of these cars that I mentioned were way far than me. Some times, they were even afraid to race with me. The supra was stander with ZERO modifications and an engine of only 3.0

What was the modifications on your SC?
How about using NOS?!!
Old 06-14-09, 07:19 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to read the SC570 thread if you need more power. Whereabouts in the US are you doing 150, do you ever get any speeding tickets? In VA you would no longer have a license, probably would also impound the car.
Old 06-14-09, 09:43 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which one of those cars rides smoother than your SC ? Which one's hard-top goes down faster? Which has a nicer interior? Which turns heads more?

This topic is by far the most debated on CL.... performance vs. luxo-cruiser GT.

If you want to make your SC faster, it's really not that difficult. With some easy mods and a couple grand you can beat all the above-mentioned cars.... it's all about the amount of time and money you want to put into your ride.

If you wanted your stock SC to beat these cars on the stopwatch only, you bought the wrong car.
Old 06-14-09, 01:34 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a motorcycle.

It's more appropriate for speed and performance than the SC430.

That's how I did it...
Old 06-14-09, 01:50 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

SC430 is a nice luxury cruiser that has class and presence....More than any of the cars you mentioned above! Try driving nissan 350z or z4 for couple weeks and i am sure you will notice the difference in build quality...SC430 with few modifications can definitely make it more enjoyable and more performance oriented...Try getting intake, exhaust, Torque converter and some headers and then see the results, it will make you appreciate your car much more...In my eyes nothing comes close to the looks of SC430...Its in a class of its own I am not being biased since i don't even drive a sc430...i have an IS-F with way more performance but everytime i see an SC430 dropped and wheels i drool all over
Old 06-14-09, 08:03 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tromly
You need to read the SC570 thread if you need more power. Whereabouts in the US are you doing 150, do you ever get any speeding tickets? In VA you would no longer have a license, probably would also impound the car.
Hi,
SC570 is a deferent issue!! and I dont live in US. Usually I get tickets but not for speeding
Old 06-14-09, 08:09 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by intdiamond
Which one of those cars rides smoother than your SC ? Which one's hard-top goes down faster? Which has a nicer interior? Which turns heads more?

This topic is by far the most debated on CL.... performance vs. luxo-cruiser GT.

If you want to make your SC faster, it's really not that difficult. With some easy mods and a couple grand you can beat all the above-mentioned cars.... it's all about the amount of time and money you want to put into your ride.

If you wanted your stock SC to beat these cars on the stopwatch only, you bought the wrong car.
Dont get me wrong, I love my SC and will never change it. I am also not compairing my SC to none of the above mentioned cars, all what am asking for is little more horsepower. I totally agree and admit that SC is the coolest car among all and never depated that at all, but whats the problem if it can give better preformance?!
I have the couple grand and the time, so tell me what to do to enhance the preformance of my car.
Thanks for reminding me of how much the SC is great in all aspects
Old 06-14-09, 08:13 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Get a motorcycle.

It's more appropriate for speed and performance than the SC430.

That's how I did it...
although I love motorcycles but always afrid to drive one
Philip, your way is the coolest
Old 06-14-09, 08:17 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Salil022
SC430 is a nice luxury cruiser that has class and presence....More than any of the cars you mentioned above! Try driving nissan 350z or z4 for couple weeks and i am sure you will notice the difference in build quality...SC430 with few modifications can definitely make it more enjoyable and more performance oriented...Try getting intake, exhaust, Torque converter and some headers and then see the results, it will make you appreciate your car much more...In my eyes nothing comes close to the looks of SC430...Its in a class of its own I am not being biased since i don't even drive a sc430...i have an IS-F with way more performance but everytime i see an SC430 dropped and wheels i drool all over
Totally agree with you and thanks for explaining in a smooth way.

I am going to do some small mods to my car and see the result.
Even if my SC preformance sty as it is, I will still love it and really appreciate it
thanks
Old 06-14-09, 09:51 PM
KoSC300
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turboo
SC 400 with 2J Twin turbo engine. This was a miserable experience for me as although I was at 150M/H he was waiting for me to reach him the he vanished as if I was driving at 20M/H.

LOL.....
that made me crack up.
Old 06-14-09, 11:52 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not so hard. Spend around $5K-$7K on a turbo system and I'm sure you'll smoke all of the above mentioned cars, perhaps along with a few low end Ferrari. All Toyota V8 love boost to make power. But if you go crazy, the rods will break. Then another chapter will begin to rebuild the internals for crazy power.
Old 06-15-09, 02:35 AM
Turboo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stevechumo
It's not so hard. Spend around $5K-$7K on a turbo system and I'm sure you'll smoke all of the above mentioned cars, perhaps along with a few low end Ferrari. All Toyota V8 love boost to make power. But if you go crazy, the rods will break. Then another chapter will begin to rebuild the internals for crazy power.
I had enough with Turbos and their problems as the weather is so hot here
at the same time, I dont have any professional reliable mechanics here to fix these turbos and solve any problem with it!!!

moreover, spending 5k to 7k is to much for me
2k to 3k maximum budget
Old 06-15-09, 03:50 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Turboo
Hi,
SC570 is a deferent issue!! and I dont live in US. Usually I get tickets but not for speeding
Thanks for sharing that info, good luck in obtaining more performance out of your SC.

Quick Reply: That’s it!! Enough from the poor performance of my SC!!