SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

High fuel consumption!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-09, 10:27 AM
Wheel Dr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CAMAracer
Your range is way up there.What does your mpg av come out to. When I bought my sc it was averaging in the 360's on range.I replaced the tires with the 960 pp and the range went up to mid 380's.Question is, what kind of driving are you doing to get that range?How many miles on your sc?
Old 06-20-09, 10:08 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tromly
As a person who has taken his car to only 85mph since ownership, perhaps my comments won't be germane. I avg about 21mpg between city and highway driving. I never can recall figures like your pics demonstrate. There must be something wrong with the computer that's generating your fuel consumption. Have you taken it to the dealer??
Next service is due in 900 mile
I will take your advice and take it to the dealer. Thanks
Old 06-20-09, 10:10 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Scott R
The forum you're posting this on is "ClubLexus". Your "handle" is the username you registered here with (Turboo). So he was asking you if you have a turbo in your SC430.
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA so imparissing
No I dont have Turbo on my SC430

gush, I feel so stupit
Old 06-20-09, 10:12 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JTMav
Doesn't look right to me as well. Have you checked using the old fashion way of resetting the trip between fill-ups and doing the math? I get an average of 22-23 with a mix of country, highway and city driving. I put about 20k a year on my 06 daily driver.

YMMV()
I did that and got same readings?!!!!!

Full tank can run 240 miles only

I think am paying more that 20K a year on my 04 daily driver
Old 06-20-09, 10:20 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by intdiamond
First of all, very aggressive driving, at high speed, like you're doing, will definitely give you poor mileage. Adding in the fact that it's +100 degrees with the AC on will only compound this. Also, your computer isn't extremely accurate and may be less accurate if it hasn't been reset so it can start averaging from zero again. Finally, I would replace your fuel filter and clean out your MAF sensor as well, which can contribute to poor mileage results.
First of all, thank you for the info.
very aggressive driving, at high speed, like am doing, . Adding in the fact that it's +100 degrees with the AC on on my friends LS430 2004 is not resulting the same reading?!
I think you are correct, it is the computer reading wrong or less accurate.
Idid replaced the fule filter and the MAF in the dealer workshop at 17000 miles, the car now is 25000 miles, should I change it again?!
Thanks again
Old 06-20-09, 10:26 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jason702
it looks like you're resetting it before taking the reading. if it is reset to zero and you are coasting, it'll say you're getting 30-40 mpg. if you reset it and stomp on it, it'll tell you that you're getting more like 7 mpg. what's your average over a few days? for moderately aggressive driving, i'd say it should be around 15 mpg. if you stomp on it at every light, probably more like 12. personally, i average around 18.

edit: you said you get 240 miles on a tank of gas. i fill up when the light comes on. which is about 16 gallons. if you do the math, that would mean you're getting 15 mpg. which sounds about right.
you are right and it is on average based on my calculation 15 mpg in the city and about 18 mpg on high way.
So shall I considred this normal?!
Old 06-20-09, 10:29 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CAMAracer
Check out my Range Approx on a full tank...keep in mind there is ~4 gallon reserve when the number hits zero, so if I ran my car out completely dry...I'd hit...550 miles? As an unofficial challenge, can anyone here beat my number?

Please please please teach me how?!!!!!!

your car is runing double miles of my car!!!!

on my car, Range Approx on a full tank never exceeded 252 miles
Old 06-20-09, 11:24 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Turboo
you are right and it is on average based on my calculation 15 mpg in the city and about 18 mpg on high way.
So shall I considred this normal?!
that's normal for the way you're driving. if you want better milage, slow down.
Old 06-21-09, 12:11 AM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have secret driving technique!

I just don't mash the foot pedal when I drive, avoid using my brakes when I don't have to by giving myself plenty of space between me and the car ahead of me, set the AC at 76 on hot days or turn it off completely, time my traffic lights so I don't hit reds, draft when possible, drive speed limit (which is 55 in lots of places up here in the SF bay area) and never carry dead weight in my car (trunk is always empty unless returning from the store).

My SC is approaching 100K.

Originally Posted by Wheel Dr
CAMAracer
Your range is way up there.What does your mpg av come out to. When I bought my sc it was averaging in the 360's on range.I replaced the tires with the 960 pp and the range went up to mid 380's.Question is, what kind of driving are you doing to get that range?How many miles on your sc?
Old 06-21-09, 03:37 AM
Turboo
Pole Position

I have secret driving technique!

I just don't mash the foot pedal when I drive, avoid using my brakes when I don't have to by giving myself plenty of space between me and the car ahead of me, set the AC at 76 on hot days or turn it off completely, time my traffic lights so I don't hit reds, draft when possible, drive speed limit (which is 55 in lots of places up here in the SF bay area) and never carry dead weight in my car (trunk is always empty unless returning from the store).

My SC is approaching 100K.
I will try todo the same and hope to get same results

I will start tomorrow
wish me luck and thanks for sharing the info

Last edited by Turboo; 06-21-09 at 03:38 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 06-29-09, 09:44 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Turboo
I will try todo the same and hope to get same results

I will start tomorrow
wish me luck and thanks for sharing the info
It did not work for me at all!!!!! I was not even near your readings

however, I took my car to the dealer and they have reset the ECU and they did a very strang thing!! they attached both wires of the car battery to the negative pole of the battery for a second + & - to -
and then put it back as they are
+ to +
&
- to -
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I asked why? and they said to flush the memory of the sensors?

anyway the problem is solved and the readings are reasnable now and the average is between 19 - 20
Old 06-30-09, 07:35 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Check out my Range Approx on a full tank...keep in mind there is ~4 gallon reserve when the number hits zero, so if I ran my car out completely dry...I'd hit...550 miles? As an unofficial challenge, can anyone here beat my number?
CAMAracer, are you sure about the 4 gallon reserve? From what I've observed, when the number is near zero, the fuel gauge is also at the bottom and the light comes on. I've filled up in these conditions and put around 19 gallons in. Since we don't have a 23 gallon tank, I'd say that qualifies as empty. (My wife's Camry is equally empty when the light comes on.) From what I can tell, once the fuel light comes on, you have about 1 gallon or less left. (I have an '02 SC430.)
Old 06-30-09, 09:37 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey CAM your numbers are out of sight, never came close to your range, what's your secret??
Old 07-01-09, 10:03 AM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm positive about the reserve tank because when the number hits zero and I fill up, I put in about 16-17 gallons in. According to the factory spec sheet, we carry 19.8 gallons. I've driven my car as a daily and I keep an eye out on my fuel consumption so I'm rather sure about this. But maybe the ECU on our cars are different because the light comes on just as the needle barely reaches the bottom. And from my experience, I can drive with the needle dipping really low before I completely run out (which I've done once ).

Originally Posted by Harold57
CAMAracer, are you sure about the 4 gallon reserve? From what I've observed, when the number is near zero, the fuel gauge is also at the bottom and the light comes on. I've filled up in these conditions and put around 19 gallons in. Since we don't have a 23 gallon tank, I'd say that qualifies as empty. (My wife's Camry is equally empty when the light comes on.) From what I can tell, once the fuel light comes on, you have about 1 gallon or less left. (I have an '02 SC430.)
Old 07-01-09, 11:03 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I hadn't gone 300 miles once on an all freeway trip and the low fuel light came on and I thought WTF. Time to go to the shop. Then I looked down and I had been driving with the gearshift to the left in 4 the whole time instead of over to the right in D. Made a huge difference in gas mileage. Usually If I set the cruise at 70 I can just hit 500 miles when the low fuel light comes on.It usually takes about 18.5 gallons then to fill up to the top.

Quick Reply: High fuel consumption!!!