SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Car & Driver (SC430 vs. CLK430)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-02, 04:55 PM
longboatlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Owned 2 E 430's and CLK 430; own SC 430 and RX 300. Whatever the relative strengths of the two cars, Mercedes service is a mind boggling joke. The service department of my local dealer ran me off after buying three Mercedes. For those who don't think service is important, buy a Mercedes. I smile in my SC when I see the suckers in their E's CLK's and S's.
Old 04-04-02, 07:26 PM
Lex Lugar
Driver School Candidate

Talking i just busted a clk430's a$$

I just played with a clk 430 the other day. this guy was really trying to run me and i decided to show him what the Lexo was all about. not only did the Lexo look 5X's better but i let him pull away and sucked him up like a cheap cigar. all he could do was bow down. it was no contest. i'm sure he's at the shop getting wrenched on right now... and i'll just bust that a$$ again!!!
Old 04-04-02, 10:30 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

but whats with c/d times of the sc????
Old 04-05-02, 05:20 PM
LexFather

More fun in the CLK,

WHO THE HELL RACES A CLK!?!?!?? Hardly anyone from my experience, in other words, 98% of the people won't get to use this "fun" in their Benz.

Lexus just gives people what they want, no fuss included.
Old 04-07-02, 01:38 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my two cents worth on the MB-Lexus discussion ...

During the wait for my SC430, I had a lot of time to ponder alternatives. I never spent this much money for a car and probably will never again. I thought long and hard about BMW, Porsche, MB, etc etc. Based on much reading over the years and the experience of others, I decided, all things being equal, that I would have a more reliable car if I purchased the Lexus.

But all things are not equal. I find the Lexus to be much more attractive (head-turning?) than the MB. In my opinion, MB has not made a decent-looking sports car since the 190SL/300SL back in the 50's and have not made an attractive convertible coupe since the 220S from that same time period. And for those who think the Audi TT and the SC430 are apparent twins, well, just because neither an egg nor an orange have flat planes doesn't mean they look the same. The SC has been likened to a tuber, but I think that moniker fits the TT more aptly.

I knew I would be giving up certain handling characteristics with the SC, but I'm long past the age of perceived invincibility when I was ramming around the countryside at ridiculous speeds in a P1800 and then a 240Z. I have but two complaints about the SC430; the harsh response to bumps (which I hope the bushing replacements will remedy) and the vague steering feel, which I will simply put up with. I also wish they offered a manual transmission - I do miss that fun.
Old 04-08-02, 05:54 AM
vicky!!!
Driver School Candidate

Default Pahhhhleeeeease........Lexus vs mercedes...there is no comparison

I ordered a CLK from our local Mercedes dealer and it took 13 months to arrive!!!! I was driving an older but very nice SL with very low miles ('91 w/ 63,000). I placed the order with the understanding that since the delivery time would be ridiculous, I was not committed to take it once it finally arrived. So I waited and waited.....in the meanwhile I saw a magazine ad for the SC430 and was "wowed" from the beauty of the style of just the exterior, alone. So days before my CLK was to arrive I drove into a Lexus dealer to check out their SC430...the interior of the silver/ecru on the showroom floor blew me away! I said, "Oh my, this looks as if an interior designer has created this look." The soft colors of the light leather, birds-eye maple and brushed silver were just so appealing to my sense of decor. (I am an interior designer/decorator) This was the most scrumptous interior of a car I had ever seen. So, when the CLK did finally arrive I drove it but still had to check out the Lexus beauty I couldn't get out of my head. So, I went directly to the Lexus dealer just down the street and test drove the SC......there was just no choice to be made the SC out did the CLK in every way I could imagine... the interior is unquestionably superior, the hard-top vs. soft-top, navigational system, run-flat tires, trunk space, the ride was noticably smoother, the Mark Levison sound system, even the warranty!!!! I looked at my husband (who was leaning more towards the CLK) and said, "Forget it, this is my car". We called the salesman at Mercedes Dealer and told him to sell it to someone else on their waiting list. I test drove a black/ecru
but, thought I would be happier with a indigo ink pearl/ecru which wasn't available at the dealer......but they had it within days ready for me to pick up, not months. Plus, the Lexus dealer gave me $1,500 more value on my trade-in (A premium Mercedes, remember) than the Mercedes dealer offered. I have had my car for less than 48 hours and I am completely delighted with the choice....we were driving home after purchasing my SC and a CLK drove past us and all I could say was, "What was I thinking?"
Old 04-08-02, 07:17 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So Vicky, don't hold back.....let us know how you really feel about the Lexus !

Only kidding, glad you love it so much.
Old 04-08-02, 05:36 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

yeah agreed.. the interior of the SC430 is the nicest of almost any car ive seen, including the LS430s interior...
Old 04-12-02, 07:17 AM
danynijm
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus towers over BMW and Mercedes

Had a 93 SC400, loved it.
Got 2000 BMW 328 Coupe, hated it traded in for 99 CLK430.

CLK430 one of the worst cars I ever had. If you like Donkey thick leather, an instrument cluster that is from the 80's, a terrible sound system, Mercedes customer service center that's rude and visting the service department often, then the CLK is for you.

I told the service manager that the engine on the CLK seemed too loud. I think that there was something wrong with it so he called his head mechanic and told me that it sounds normal. He then asked me what car I had previously. I told him a Lexus, he says, well that's a Lexus and they are smooth. I said and this is a Mercedes and it sounds like a Mustang GT.

Later I read a Road & Track long term artical on a CLK430 and I couldn't believe how much undeserved praise the car was given. Yes, these magazines are biased.

I have since sold the CLK and now I have a 97 SC400. Lexus is the best. They give you what you want not what they think you should have.
Old 04-12-02, 11:30 AM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Oh yeah, that reminds me...

Back in '00, when I was considering the CLK430, I talked to a few people who had them. Their main complaint was consistent: they had them in the shop several times for "stupid little things."

At the 2001 Dallas Auto Show, I asked a MB dealer if they had resolved these integrity problems. Having a '93 SC400 at the time, I was shocked by his answer: "Oh, any car has problems like that."

I walked away from that one. Yes, this is a biased forum, but I've NEVER had an attitude from a Lexus service department who finds integrity problems to be acceptable. Agreed, most cars do have squeaks, rattles (OK, shut up -- they'll fix it), loose parts, etc. Remember, the CLK430's current model started in '99, so they should have worked out all the bugs by now. Of course, they still have a 1yr waiting list for the 2002's!!! What's up with that?
Old 04-12-02, 03:21 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

About the sound system, you think the system in the CLK is bad?

I think all mercedes cars are way too loud.. my dads cl55 is loud as hell in the garage, and it sounds like a strong v8, but not like a mercedes.... its nice when you give it gas, but then you say "wait, this is a mercedes, not a gto!"
Old 04-12-02, 07:46 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

yeah, that would be a sweet pic
Old 04-13-02, 07:56 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Haha, im really gettin tackled here about my familys cars.... If you want you can call me on my cell and come to my house and look at them, but untill then, i dont have a dig. camera.

I know, i have 2 cars and no camera. Nikon screwed things up and my dad wont let me get a new one till i get my money back from nikon.

toog
310 739 7171
Old 04-13-02, 08:41 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

No, he will let me buy a camera, and he did, but it hasnt come from NIkon, so he doesnt want me spending more money on one untill i either get the one from nikon back or i get money back from nikon... its not too hard to understand.
Old 04-13-02, 09:07 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to me, it all comes down to "total ownership experience"... it does not matter whether one spends $10k or $100k for a car. till this day, i will always remember top guys from MB claimed that their cars are "over-engineered", NOT "over-priced"...when toyota first introduced lexus outside its domestic market at more affordable prices, MB claimed that toyota will NOT survive by selling cars without profit margin. well, a decade has passed, and toyota/lexus has brought nothing but improvement to the luxury car segment....and they are here to stay...hey i do like some models from MB...it is their prices and often attitude towards consumers that makes me....well....want to drive lexus/toyota...i do not want to spend $50k for an e320 just so i can have the 3-point mark on the hood

bottomline, if i want a "driver's car", bmw and porsche comes to my mind first...

Quick Reply: Car & Driver (SC430 vs. CLK430)