SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Car & Driver (SC430 vs. CLK430)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-02, 02:23 PM
daygo718
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car & Driver (SC430 vs. CLK430)

The latest issue of Car & Driver just shows how biased these car magazines are towards German cars (especially Mercedes). C&D placed the CLK 1st by two points over the SC (CLK-95/SC-93). I wouldn't even place the CLK in the same category as an SC much less vote it number one! I think the SL500 vs. SC430 would be more comparable. C&D pretty much had the two cars neck & neck...the two deciding points came in the styling category (CLK-9/SC-7). How you give the SC a lower ranking in styling is beyond me...styling is such a subjective area anyway, but I like it much better than a CLK. In the end, they say that if you want a luxuriously comfortable hardtop convertible that you want to get noticed in...then buy the SC, but if you want a "drivers car", then pick the CLK...which of course was their pick! I know which one I'd pick...I'm waiting for delivery of my SC as we speak!

I'm not trying to hate on MB or say that the CLK is a bad car (I happen to like it and have respect for German manufacturers), I guess it's frustrating to continually see the major car mags say that Lexus vehicles are great, but it's not a drivers car so we'll take the Benz or BMW regardless of cost...doesn't make sense to me!
Old 04-02-02, 02:42 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for bringing this up.
I've been kinda bent over this article myself.

I provide these pointless arguments to defend our vehicles:
1. The CLK430's interior is hideous in comparison to ANY Lexus. Can't stand that "Euro-dash", with too many damn buttons. Almost as ugly as the minimalist approach GM takes to interiors.
And where's the NAV system?
2. Is it necessary to build something less than bold in order to get good styling points? And if they want to take points away for the SC's exterior styling, they should give them back for the interior.
3. Yes, we all admit that the rear seat space is useless. But does anyone enjoy being in the back seat of a convertible, where they get the wind from all sides?! Can't get rid of the back seats, otherwise Lexus would have lost some of their target buyers (some people wouldn't buy a 2-seater, despite the rear's uselessness). And a longer SC would probably not be as sporty.
4. OK, I'll relent on the "fun to drive" numbers (7 vs. 9). But I'll take ultra-cool looks and a smooth touring car over a german pseudo-roadster. If I wanted that, I'd choose something prettier than the CLK (although I'd pay a ton more for it).
5. True, the seat side bolsters are not great for extreme cornering. But I can't stand riding in buckets for hours. Better even up those "driver comfort" numbers to even -- both have advantages.

Hmm, maybe they don't make for a great comparison.
But I did look at both of them before I got on the SC list in 11/2000...
Old 04-02-02, 03:41 PM
therocker
Rookie

In a test between a Lexus and a Hyuandi disguised as a Mercedes, complete with the Mercedes emblem, the major car mags would still place the Lexus second. I am glad I did not see the C & D article because I would have gone nuts.
Old 04-02-02, 06:56 PM
pot_head
Driver

i have that magazine also. the drivers just like more "sporty" cars, or cars that handle better.

for example, theres 4 tests done on motor trend. M3 VS E55, M ROADSTER VS SLK32, M3 VS CLK55, X5 4.6IS VS ML55.

as you know, bmw's handle a bit better than mercedes. and all the bmw's won. this leads to me that those car magazines dont appreciate a car that doesnt handle well. i think the bottom line on those guys minds is 'handling'. if we wanted to handle we wouldnt've bought a Lexus, we wouldve got a nsx or rx7 or something like that. they dont care about nice interiors. they like handling. weird.
Old 04-02-02, 07:54 PM
Davin Huang
Driver School Candidate

Funny how i saw this dude traded his CLK430 for a SC430 the other day at the Lexus Dealership!..
Old 04-03-02, 06:47 AM
pot_head
Driver

Originally posted by Davin Huang
Funny how i saw this dude traded his CLK430 for a SC430 the other day at the Lexus Dealership!..
i did that!
Old 04-03-02, 08:19 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree. I've been a subscriber to every (and I do mean EVERY) car magazine for the last 20 years.

Bottom line.......if it's made in the "Fatherland", it's automatically the best. Nevermind looks, price, minimalist interiors, etc. I don't even know why they bother doing comparisons. They should just award first place to BMW, Mercedes and Porsche.

As far as the comp we're discussing here......did you read how they managed to "light the MB's brakes on fire"?( not literally of course, but enough to cause fading......no concern, just learn to brake differently !

As far as handling.....the Lex did a pretty damned good job and was very near the MB.

I used to get pissed when i had my NSX and I'd read that it "wasn't up to the Ferraris and Porsches". Of course it handled better, road better, was just as quick and had the reliability of a Honda Accord, but it didn't have "Heritage". HUH ?? What the hell does that mean ?

You're right about the Hyundai with MB badging. It would definitley win 1st..........unless it was up against a Daewoo with a BMW sticker.

They also did a test years ago with an MR2 and a Boxster. The Toyota went for about 40,000 miles with no problem. The Boxster went about 9,000 miles and had tranny problems, electrical failures and the top had to be replaced........as well as rotors warping. Gues which car took 1st ?
Old 04-03-02, 08:43 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

They do that just to keep the people happy, They would rather **** off Lexus owners, then Mercedez and BMW owners, since there is more of them... it'll always be that way, I can't stand the way they test cars, I mean who is gonna take an LS430 through the Twisties, Like it matters if it can't turn like a sports car, Why don't they set up different tests for different cars, Luxury cars should be tested for LUXURY, which Lexus would win every time, I think if they tested each car for which class they are in and what they should have, Lexus would win everyone of them.

ShOwGS
Old 04-03-02, 08:58 AM
daygo718
Lead Lap

It does seem like if it's made in the "fatherland" you're automatically the best. Remember when they compared all the top sedans? The LS430 came in 2nd to the MB S430. The LS beat or tied the S class in almost every category accept handling of course and in the end they said if it were their money they would pick the S class despite the $15k difference in price! The LS even beat the S class in acceleration tests, but they said the S class "feels faster". What kind of judging is that!

And I'm sorry, no matter what the mags say, IMO none of the German car interiors can compare to the luxurious interiors of a Lexus...although they usually pick the german cars in this category as well!
Old 04-03-02, 11:49 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hey!!!

Please don't put Porsche and MB in the same catagory.. My Porsche doesn't fall apart like MB or shake and rattle like a MB... I own BOTH an SC430 and a 911 Porsche and love them equally for very different reasons! Both a a joy to drive (again for different reasons)... But my summer daily driver is my SC430.. weekends tend to be for the Porsche --- and track days and autocross.. (GRIN).... but MB tries to marry Luxary and Performance the best possible way..... so the folks who are used to the bare sport of a Porsche love the MB luxary.... while those of us that have seen Lexus Luxary don't see what all the fuss is about MB... I feel MB is for the 'older' German guy who just can't handle the Porshe ride any more and doesn't want to get harrassed by his friends so he gets a MB and still has respect.. LOL
Old 04-03-02, 02:56 PM
LexFather

Honestly.......(Lexus Bias aside)

Who the hell would pick a SOFT TOP convertible over a HARD TOP convettible!!?!??!

The CLK 430 they tested costed 1k MORE than the HARDTOP with NAV/ML etc SC 430.

THEY ARE NUTS.

Are all those mag writers German?
Old 04-03-02, 02:58 PM
LexFather

If you read EVO, or CAR (Euro mags, I actully LOVE EM) they are even more biased. But they are funny and make some good points.
Old 04-03-02, 08:02 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

i had a CLK 430 and my 98 SC300 is a much better car....nuff said
Old 04-04-02, 01:16 PM
alfa2600
Driver

Have 9500 miles on my SC430 and before getting it rented a CLK430 for a couple of weekends. No question the MB is a better "handler" altho much of the reason for this is the horrible run flat tires on my Lexus which make the steering jiggly and annoying. The MB also has an at least semi-usable back seat.

In every other respect the SC is much superior - the hard top is an inestimable advantage. And even after a year people still ask "What kind of car is that anyway."
Old 04-04-02, 04:45 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

It all has to do with reputation! Also, the Mercedes is a funner car to drive according to the testers, so this is why they ranked it over the sc... you have to remember, it is their opinion... not yours... the lex comes with a lot more features than the clk for a lot less buck, which shows something: The mb is better (in their opinion) A car that is fully loaded and costs less than a standard car is ussualy for a reason... and the last, you have to remember that MB is the number one in luxury, and lex is second, so people always think MB.. when someone says whats the opposite of Merc, they say BMW, not Lex... and when someone asks the opposite of Lex, they are ussualy stumped... LEX is just making their comback with the sc430 and the new es and is.. and rx.. they were out of it for a long time, even though ive always loved their cars.

my major concern is how the hell they got the sc's time of 0-60 in 6.6 and not the lexus claimed 6.6? Whats wrong with them?

Quick Reply: Car & Driver (SC430 vs. CLK430)