SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

OEM snob seeks shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-09, 10:14 PM
bfigard
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM snob seeks shocks

Did search. Can't see how long are the OEM shocks typically good on an SC430.

Hard to be sure, but I think the bumps are getting worse.
2003...not the bushings.
Got the Daizen bars, tires by General (since before the bumps were this bad).
Just quoted parts + labor for OEM shocks $240 front, $630 rear.
Don't want to lower/spend $ on coilovers, so...

Anybody find shocks that absorb the bumps better than OEM?

Last edited by bfigard; 07-09-09 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-10-09, 01:50 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, shocks don't "absorb" bumps. They dampen the spring rebound that's all.

I would test each corner of the car personally. Push down on each corner sharply and if the car takes more than 1 "rebound" the shocks (more appropriately called "Dampers") are shot and should be replaced.

If you travel over bad roads or regularly go over a lot of speed bumps, the life of your shocks can be pretty short.

I suspect you will either have to go OEM for the SC or look to someone like Tein.
Old 07-10-09, 09:33 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Also, don't rule out the tire factor, especially if you have run flats. As some of the run flats age, they tend to get fairly harsh in the last 5kmi or more of their life.
Old 07-10-09, 12:49 PM
bfigard
Rookie

Default underdamped systems should oscillate

Worsening ride seems to contradict the rules of natural wear and second order systems. The bumps do arrest after one pulse...so the dampers can't be done yet. But the response to the bumps is getting more overdamped.

If the dampers are aging, allowing the suspension to compress faster, then the oscillation should be noticable. Feels like my springs are just fully compressing and passing the bumps right into me...but no oscillation.

Is there any way bad dampers would not slow the initital compression, but still arrest oscillation like they are supposed to?

Harold57, General tires are not runflats (doubt they make them).
Old 07-11-09, 06:21 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

How old is your SC?
Old 07-11-09, 09:29 AM
bfigard
Rookie

2003 102k miles.

what if there were gunk or something blocking the veins that allow the fluid to move through the dampers?
That would make the suspension seems stiffer (less fluid allowed to flow for given bump), but still keep the oscillation low.

Last edited by bfigard; 07-11-09 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-11-09, 06:14 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

At 102K miles I'm not surprised the ride has deteriorated.

Based on that mileage, I would simply replace the shocks. The Bushings shouldn't need doing yet.

Tyres also contribute to ride quality, are yours getting close to needing replacement?
Old 09-29-09, 03:25 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Bfigard, Did you replace the "dampeners" and did it resolve your ride issue? My '02 with 86k miles is also worsening. I replaced the tires and it did not resolve the ride.
Old 09-30-09, 11:33 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

There was a post earlier about the Diazen bars failing. So you might want to check yours out also. (I'll try to find the post tonight.)
Old 02-18-10, 05:55 PM
bfigard
Rookie

Been riding around with a fractured rear Daizen bar for who knows how long. Bent two of my rims on standard tires as well. Plan to get new bushings everywhere and consider the $1200+ to switch to runflats to protect my rims.
Old 02-19-10, 04:14 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any vehicle with 100K miles usually is badly in need of shocks/dampeners. I wouldn't stop at bushings.
Old 02-19-10, 04:54 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 158 Posts

When I had my ES 300 I had a lower spring isolator wear through. I spoke with both Lexus of Richmond VA and Flow Lexus in Greensboro NC. I had 130000 miles on the car and both indicated that even though the shocks were not like new they were not bad. In fact both indicated that many people never replace shocks. to say that everyone needs shocks at 100000 miles is totally misleading and just not borne out by the facts. If you treat your car like a hobby like I know many people on this forum do, then by all means replace them at 100000 or sooner if you like and feel good about your great car. I am not being sarcastic. I love the SC.
Old 02-19-10, 06:02 AM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

iolmaster,
I agree with you when you write that not everyone needs new dampeners at 100,000 miles. Mechanically, the dampeners still work. However, I think that "bad" in this setting means "not good enough" or "not new". Most Lexus owners love the cushy ride that their cars had when new. Thus, new OEM struts will definitely help.

Bfigard,
There really is no substitute for OEM struts if you want the OEM ride. Tokico or KYB may actually make the OEM struts for Toyota. However, the aftermarket models that are available for our cars are NOT the exact same as the ones made as OEM replacement for Toyota. I had KYB's on my SC400 very briefly and absolutely hated them. I purchased the OEM struts and it made all of the difference.
Old 02-19-10, 07:56 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bfigard
Been riding around with a fractured rear Daizen bar for who knows how long. Bent two of my rims on standard tires as well. Plan to get new bushings everywhere and consider the $1200+ to switch to runflats to protect my rims.
if you care about ride quality, i'd think twice before you switch to runflats. they ride like wagon wheels. if you have tire pressure sensors all you have to do is make sure your light doesn't come on. if you don't, you can have them installed for less than runflats will cost you. personally, i have my tps disabled. i just keep an eye on my tires to make sure they're not low.
Old 02-19-10, 01:58 PM
bfigard
Rookie

Yeh, considering I need new bushings/control arms and sway bar, $400 for new TMS sensors + $800 for tires doesn't seem compelling enough to switch to runflats. Replacing stock wheels when they bend will have to be my m.o. Maybe new OEM shocks too...

Quick Reply: OEM snob seeks shocks