SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

1 Stop Bluetooth/Ipod solution for 02 sc

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 06:42 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by czerkawski
I've had my 02 SC for awhile now, and I've felt lost without bluetooth and an ipod adapter. And I was sick of hearing how you can't do this to the sc or can't do that. But my prayers have been answered, I installed a Parrot mki9100($200), which gives you bluetooth and an ipod hookup, a line in, and a usb. I used a harness($85) so no wires needed to be spliced, sound comes from all the speakers. The actual screen is in the ash tray,the screen is a caller id display, plus gives you all your song info just like on your ipod, all the hookups (ipod,etc) are in the center console. It comes with a remote that i put on top of the change lid by the shifter. I will post pics later. It really is incredible
Petasheep, I think you need to read this. Sounds to me like it is all in the console which is easy to get to!
Old 07-28-09, 08:33 PM
dag8882
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone know if we need purchase a Harness in order for this thing to work? or if it can be installed w/out the harness altogether?
Old 07-29-09, 10:17 AM
petasheep
Rookie

Farkas, I believe what he means is that the hook up for the ipod is ran through his center console.. (IE Dock connector). He doesn't mention all the wiring is done in the center console. There is no speaker output from the original stereo, there is simply signal out into the amp.

I am not trying to thread crap, i'm just responding because someone asked how the installation is performed and the OP doesn't seem to log in much. And I guess my point didn't come across, what i meant to say is that if the installation is similar to other parrot bluetooth only units (like the one i did in my Prius) the wiring would need to be done in the trunk, because the parrot bluetooth systems are meant to go between the speaker output from the source and the speakers themselves. This way they are able to bypass the audio system when you get a call, etc. Quite honestly, i think this parrot ipod/blueooth system is the same. There is no way the parrot is designed to send a balanced line output (the connection that is available in the front) into the amp and use the amp for processing of the conversation/ipod.

I personally have not done (or plan to) one in my SC because i have already upgraded the ML system to an Alpine system. Like i said i'm just sharing my $0.02 because all questions seem to come to a dead end from the OP... we'll let the OP comment if it's installed in the rear or the front.
Old 07-29-09, 11:44 AM
farkas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by petasheep
Farkas, I believe what he means is that the hook up for the ipod is ran through his center console.. (IE Dock connector). He doesn't mention all the wiring is done in the center console. There is no speaker output from the original stereo, there is simply signal out into the amp.

I am not trying to thread crap, i'm just responding because someone asked how the installation is performed and the OP doesn't seem to log in much. And I guess my point didn't come across, what i meant to say is that if the installation is similar to other parrot bluetooth only units (like the one i did in my Prius) the wiring would need to be done in the trunk, because the parrot bluetooth systems are meant to go between the speaker output from the source and the speakers themselves. This way they are able to bypass the audio system when you get a call, etc. Quite honestly, i think this parrot ipod/blueooth system is the same. There is no way the parrot is designed to send a balanced line output (the connection that is available in the front) into the amp and use the amp for processing of the conversation/ipod.

I personally have not done (or plan to) one in my SC because i have already upgraded the ML system to an Alpine system. Like i said i'm just sharing my $0.02 because all questions seem to come to a dead end from the OP... we'll let the OP comment if it's installed in the rear or the front.
Thanks for the update and insight into the install. If it has to be installed to the rear of the car than this is not such a good option.IMO
Old 07-29-09, 01:14 PM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Removing the back seat is a 5 minute job. Three different size wrenches and out it comes. My thanks to Habious for telling me how to do it when I replaced my seatbelts. Really simple and it would be under 5 minutes with a little hustle.
Old 07-29-09, 05:30 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by norman52
Removing the back seat is a 5 minute job. Three different size wrenches and out it comes. My thanks to Habious for telling me how to do it when I replaced my seatbelts. Really simple and it would be under 5 minutes with a little hustle.
Yes but have you ever taken the panels off in the trunk? That is not an esay job..... And that is where the radio stuff is I believe.
Old 07-30-09, 10:04 AM
petasheep
Rookie

Correct, the radio stuff is in the trunk underneath the liner that is held in by those lovely push in plastic clips that love to break if the proper tool isn't used. The best tool i've used for removing those clips is a panel popper prying bar. However i still managed to accidentally mangle one of those clips using the "proper" tooling.
Old 07-31-09, 12:37 PM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You can buy those little black plugs/clips at any paint/bodywork supply house.
I small bag of them is around $4.99. Just take one in to make sure you get the right size. Same with the clips that hold the door panels on. Just go spend a couple of bucks and throw them all in a drawer in your garage. Then when you are working on a project and you break one off you have spares laying around.
Old 08-02-09, 01:09 PM
Ears
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Petasheep,

I can't help wonder if the audio does not route back to the amp, then back up front to the headunit, for distribution to the speakers. This is logical because it follows other systems without an amp would distribute from the headunit. I have rewired systems in "other" vehicles, and found this to be the case. Also, since the harness seems to be configured for this setup by visual of its size and length, I suspect the amp does return to the front.

This also follows logic, ie why distribute to the speakers from the amp in back, and not from the head unit location, a central bus, if you will.

It would be great to look at the schematics and confirm. Does anyone ahev a schematic they can post up, illustrating the routing of the audio? As I am evaluating "something" for a 2002, I would like confirmation on this. I hate the RF modulator, and even hate the tape adapter more!!! Having had two ML disc changers fail in less than 20,000 miles (yea, I know. It needs driven more often), I suspect another failure will be imminent sometime. Ipod is the way to go, and a more integrated means of facilitation is sure needed. This parrot sounds like the beans!
Old 08-03-09, 12:58 PM
czerkawski
Driver School Candidate

sorry took forever with the pics
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
untitled.bmp (87.9 KB, 1275 views)
console.bmp (87.9 KB, 1695 views)
Old 08-03-09, 01:00 PM
czerkawski
Driver School Candidate

more pics for you
Attached Images
kp2.bmp (87.9 KB, 1188 views)
remote.bmp (87.9 KB, 1230 views)
Old 08-03-09, 01:02 PM
czerkawski
Driver School Candidate

one last picture
Attached Images
blackberry.bmp (87.9 KB, 1189 views)
Old 08-08-09, 07:47 AM
michaelhit
Driver School Candidate

What is that Silver device in The Central Console on the Picture ? It does not look like it is something from this installation. any comments ?
Old 08-08-09, 07:50 AM
michaelhit
Driver School Candidate

What is that Silver device in The Central Console on the Picture ? It does not look like it is something from this installation. any comments ?

Old 08-08-09, 07:54 AM
farkas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by michaelhit

It is the controls from his Tein Adjustable Coilovers.

Quick Reply: 1 Stop Bluetooth/Ipod solution for 02 sc