SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Pros and Cons of the 02 SC430?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-09, 02:51 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Pros and Cons of the 02 SC430?

I am looking to buy a 2002 SC430. About 87,000 miles. Appears to be in good shape but..if you were looking to buy this car, what would you be looking for?
What issues does this model have? Is this a good one to get? The asking price is about $18,500.

I have had a ES300 which was great, but have always loved this car.

Any comments would be appreciated!!
Old 08-01-09, 03:42 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

pros:

reliable
almost identical body style to new
cheaper
same overall performance

cons compared to 07+:

5 speed transmission
non led taillights (can be upgraded if you care)
slightly different front bumper and headlights
older nav and stereo, no bluetooth. not a big difference
fugly stock wheels. you'll want to replace them.

overall, most people wouldn't know the difference unless you told them.
Old 08-01-09, 03:45 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That price sounds a tad bit high, but as long as it's clean and has a good history (which you should check out through CarFax, etc.), I wouldn't be too concerned. Also, ask the seller to get a service history printout from Lexus and provide it to you. You can see what all has been done to the car and also see if it has a history of any unusual problems over the last 7.5 years. Since it's so close to 90,000 miles, you might try work a deal where the seller will pay to have the timing belt service done (assuming it hasn't already been done). That service at Lexus is around $1,500 and it would make up for the slightly higher price.

In addition to that, make sure the top goes up and down flawlessly, make sure the speakers all work (particularly the lower front door speakers which have a history of blowing out and buzzing), make sure the navigation system works, and make sure you drive it with the top UP....not just down. When you drive with the top up, you hear all kinds of sounds that you don't hear with the top down. If any of the noises concern you, ask about them.

Lastly, the suspension on this car is different from any other Lexus and many people complain about feeling every bump in the road. That can be improved by buying regular tires (non-runflats), but it won't make the ride great. If you're expecting a typical Lexus ride, you're not going to get it in this car.

Look on cars.com for an indication of where the prices are for these cars and their respective mileages. The mileage is a little high for me. I would think you could find one with significantly fewer miles for not too much more. Good luck.
Old 08-01-09, 04:13 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You'll be purchasing a great car, get rid of the ugly stock wheels and the run flats, makes the car run so much smoother and quieter. Make sure you get the timing belt done at 90,000 miles, get the service history! Good luck and welcome to the SC owners club!! Good Luck
Old 08-01-09, 04:19 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Default Thank you!

We are going to see and drive the car tomorrow...from our phone conversations, this is the second owner,,,speakers have been replaced as well as door lock actuators. Run flat tires and wheels also replaced with newer Michelin Pilots on Is spoke wheels (2006). Spoke with the service advisor at the Lexus store, that said that he has known the car since new, all service has been done as scheduled, and car has been very well taken care of. Timing belt service is due ($850)He can update the NAV for $265 (fair?) no accidents, local car. Is there a good quality warranty that I can purchase? Thanks again for your comments, Bob
Old 08-01-09, 04:23 PM
Yes

i'd offer $16,500 then split the difference at $17,500. he should be flexible with the timing belt service due. it's actually past due going by age. that said, the timing belt isn't as big of risk as with most cars. the sc430's engine is a non interference engine. so the pistons won't slam into the valves if it breaks the way it will in most cars.
Old 08-01-09, 06:03 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Great information! Thank you kindly, and we shall see how this goes tomorrow!
Old 08-01-09, 07:08 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Let us know -- especially since the style has not changed much over the years (and still turns heads), I think an older SC is a shrewd purchase.
Old 08-01-09, 07:09 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

The prices you have for the services are fair. $800 for the timing belt, and $250 for a new NAV disc is about right.
Welcome, and post some pics!
Old 08-01-09, 07:19 PM
Jace_91
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought an SC in May, I got a 2002 w/ 50k miles for 21000.. I would try to get them down a little on price because of the high mileage. I haven't had any problems and its a great car. When people ask how old it is they usually guess its an 05 or 06. So no one can tell, The tires and IS rims probably look great, I agree the Pie Plate rims are terrible, mine were upgraded to the stock 2004 rims by the previous owner. What color is the one your looking at? I got blue ext. with saddle/ maple interior.
Old 08-01-09, 07:33 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by azkaty
He can update the NAV for $265 (fair?)
8.1 Navigation DVD is only $199 now.
If you are going to pay $265 for that update disc, wait till the 9.1 is released.

http://www.lexpartsworld.com/scripts...?idproduct=627
Old 08-01-09, 08:59 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jason702
that said, the timing belt isn't as big of risk as with most cars. the sc430's engine is a non interference engine. so the pistons won't slam into the valves if it breaks the way it will in most cars.
Amazingly, this has been debated and debated over the years on this forum and there never seems to be any definitive answer. But as much as I have read on it, I believe the SC 430 DOES have an interference engine, and WOULD be susceptible to significant damage if the belt breaks.

I ran across the link below and it clearly has an asterisk by it to denote an interference engine on the SC 430.

http://www.raauto.com/pages/timing%2...nt%20guide.pdf
Old 08-02-09, 01:14 AM
Yes

i had read before that it's not. but i can't say 100%.
Old 08-02-09, 06:09 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

So if we were to go further afield, like California ,, New Mexico, etc,would we likely find some better prices? We are looking at a black one with tan interior..white would be nice too..

We have a mint 06 Miata with 6000 miles..that would be a nice trade for someone..where could we find one with 50K and $21,000?
Old 08-02-09, 07:30 AM
Jace_91
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked everywhere for mine, I really wanted the color combo that I ended up getting, but it took about two months to find. I checked cars.com vehix.com autotrader.com ebay and craigslist in my city and also major cities around me. I ended up finding the car in miami, which was only a 2 hour drive. I would still see if the owners of the car your looking at want to come down on the price at all.
The car I purchased also just had all 4 Run Flat tires changed, although I want to change to a non runflat becasue i hear the ride is better, those tires are expensive so I did take it into consideration during bargaining.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of the 02 SC430?