Help on 2002 SC430 Purchase info

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-09, 07:05 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help on 2002 SC430 Purchase info

Ok guys,
You have all been a great help (just joined 2 days ago) we drove our 1st 2002 Black 430 today...actually has 70,000 miles (less than we thought) black with white interior. 2nd owner, all service records...does need the timing belt at 90,000. Tires are Michelin pilot mounted on 2006 IS wheels....very quiet. Very pretty...it also has an emblem in the back reads "430 SC i or 430 SC ix"...red letters...is this a dealer edition, or what model is it? Also have a very "stupid/newbie question"...car drove nicely, quiet and somewhat responsive....but assumed 4 was the same as D(rive) was not as quick as I expected..felt "heavy" but very nice, quiet and comfortable...then, we drove another 430 for sale this afternoon (actually 5 blocks from our house!) silver, black interior, has new Falkens on expensive looking chrome wheels (run-flats also replaced). This car did not feel as heavy as the the former...and I drove in "D"...seemed much more responsive on throttle, and felt tighter than the much prettier black car...no special red "i or ix badge"...this car had 77,000 miles. I am totally confused now. What is "4 vs D"? I thought that the transmission was not a "shift on the fly" type... Really feel stupid, as I am a car guy...but cannot believe the performance difference...and hate the noisy Falkens...please give us your feedback!!
Bob and Carolyn in AZ. Please note...neither of the sellers know much about cars, let alone Lexus.....but have service records and car fax...
Old 08-02-09, 09:27 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

4 is 4th gear. you won't accelerate very fast in 4th
Old 08-03-09, 04:47 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by azkaty
Ok guys,
You have all been a great help (just joined 2 days ago) we drove our 1st 2002 Black 430 today...actually has 70,000 miles (less than we thought) black with white interior. 2nd owner, all service records...does need the timing belt at 90,000. Tires are Michelin pilot mounted on 2006 IS wheels....very quiet. Very pretty...it also has an emblem in the back reads "430 SC i or 430 SC ix"...red letters...is this a dealer edition, or what model is it? Also have a very "stupid/newbie question"...car drove nicely, quiet and somewhat responsive....but assumed 4 was the same as D(rive) was not as quick as I expected..felt "heavy" but very nice, quiet and comfortable...then, we drove another 430 for sale this afternoon (actually 5 blocks from our house!) silver, black interior, has new Falkens on expensive looking chrome wheels (run-flats also replaced). This car did not feel as heavy as the the former...and I drove in "D"...seemed much more responsive on throttle, and felt tighter than the much prettier black car...no special red "i or ix badge"...this car had 77,000 miles. I am totally confused now. What is "4 vs D"? I thought that the transmission was not a "shift on the fly" type... Really feel stupid, as I am a car guy...but cannot believe the performance difference...and hate the noisy Falkens...please give us your feedback!!
Bob and Carolyn in AZ. Please note...neither of the sellers know much about cars, let alone Lexus.....but have service records and car fax...
Stay with the Michelin pilots, there was no i or ix model, probably a badge purchased on EBay from previous owner, always drive in "D" for best performance and fuel economy. Good Luck
Old 08-03-09, 07:37 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car can be manually shifted, too. You were probably driving around in 4th, so the car was sluggish. There's a switch next to the shifter that you can put the car in the "Power" mode, to help performance a little bit, too.
I wouldn't let the brand of tire on the car determine which car to buy, as they will wear out and you can put on what you want, and the Michelin's seem to be the crowd favorite.
Old 08-03-09, 07:52 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2002 sc help...

Thank you all once again...really feel stupid as I drove from Mesa all the way up to Cave Creek yesterday to drive the black car...saw the power switch, and should have asked the very helpful and seemingly honest owner some questions about the transmission....makes perfect sense now. Will probably ask more questions, but you have been a great help to a new- comer...taking my Mx-5 Miata to the dealer today, said they were very interested when I took her in for her annual oil change...only 6800 miles since new, and only 1,000 of them put on in the last 3 years....also selling my classic VW collection (57 and 66 vert show cars)..we just don't/can't drive the VW's in the summer here, and scared to death to drive any distance....have won all of the shows, magazine articles...etc. Just lost interest in the past year. The 430 will be our third car, and will probably put about 2,000 miles a year on her....and we can put all three of our cars in the garage...instead of the classics inside, and the newer cars outside!
Old 08-04-09, 05:07 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to CL, sounds like you're quite the collector, hope the SC gives you great service, it's the best car I've ever owned!
Old 08-04-09, 07:27 PM
John P
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Sc help

Hey, I just joined CL too. Purchased an 02 w/ 34K, I'm third owned. Still have temp paper tag on it. Smoked a late model WRX in POWER mode!!! I really looked far and long for this Indigo Ink/ Ecru mint machine. Has a Lexus spare and the second owner ditched the run flats w/ 19K. I believe on riding on General Exclaim UHP? They only have 15K and they work for me!! Happy hunting!!!