SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Spare Tire Kit Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-09, 07:46 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spare Tire Kit Installation

I've ordered the spare tire kit from Sewell Lexus. I also downloaded the installation instructions. Can anyone who has installed this kit give me any pointers about the installation. The instructions seem pretty detailed, but I don't know if they're easy to follow or not. Any help would be appreciated. I did a search and couldn't find anything on this that was helpful.
Old 08-10-09, 10:28 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MDames2
I've ordered the spare tire kit from Sewell Lexus. I also downloaded the installation instructions. Can anyone who has installed this kit give me any pointers about the installation. The instructions seem pretty detailed, but I don't know if they're easy to follow or not. Any help would be appreciated. I did a search and couldn't find anything on this that was helpful.
It's fairly simple and straightforward. The most difficult part is pulling the plastic tray that holds the tools, etc. You'll have to pull up the adjacent panels on the left and right. I did not remove these panels, just pulled them up with one hand while extracting the black tool tray.
The wedge-shaped bracket that holds the spare is mounted with highest part of the wedge up. this keeps the wheel/tire off the trunk latch. There are also rubber bumpers you need to put on before you install the wheel/tire. these keep things from rattling.
Old 08-10-09, 02:12 PM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PHXSC
It's fairly simple and straightforward. The most difficult part is pulling the plastic tray that holds the tools, etc. You'll have to pull up the adjacent panels on the left and right. I did not remove these panels, just pulled them up with one hand while extracting the black tool tray.
The wedge-shaped bracket that holds the spare is mounted with highest part of the wedge up. this keeps the wheel/tire off the trunk latch. There are also rubber bumpers you need to put on before you install the wheel/tire. these keep things from rattling.
Thanks for your feedback. Are you glad you put in the spare? Are there any problems with it other than it taking up some space in the back? This is for my wife's car. After replacing the runflats with non-runflats, I'm not comfortable with her not having a spare. By the way her car is the same color as yours, very rich looking. Take care.
Old 08-10-09, 02:19 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MDames2
Thanks for your feedback. Are you glad you put in the spare? Are there any problems with it other than it taking up some space in the back? This is for my wife's car. After replacing the runflats with non-runflats, I'm not comfortable with her not having a spare. By the way her car is the same color as yours, very rich looking. Take care.
No regrets. The ride and handling is so much better with the runflats off the car. For local trips, I have fix-a-flat and a compressor, and for long trips use the spare. Actually, I haven't pulled the spare since our last trip to San Diego, so I have both the spare and compressor, etc. in the trunk. Golf clubs fit in the back seat so no need for trunk space. Once you put the spare back there, there's no room for much of anything, with the top down.
Old 08-11-09, 06:18 AM
mpx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to get rid of the run flats, hated the bouncing around of the car, but i had nitrogen added, and it was a very big improvement, and the RF'S have lots of tread left.
i was kind of shocked how badly the car drove compared to my sc400
Old 08-11-09, 06:25 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PHXSC
No regrets. The ride and handling is so much better with the runflats off the car. For local trips, I have fix-a-flat and a compressor, and for long trips use the spare. Actually, I haven't pulled the spare since our last trip to San Diego, so I have both the spare and compressor, etc. in the trunk. Golf clubs fit in the back seat so no need for trunk space. Once you put the spare back there, there's no room for much of anything, with the top down.
Great info PHXSC, glad you have no regrets and those run flats have been eliminated!