SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Purchasing SC...just lost my beloved IS

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 01:27 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Purchasing SC...just lost my beloved IS

Hey to everyone on this forum...I've been reading a few posts for the past few days, but finally decided to join.

I used to have an 2003 IS300 that my parents bought me in high school; however, two weekends ago my roomate decided to take it out (without permission as well) and he totaled it on the high-way . Geico gave us $12k for it which I didn't think was a bad deal considering it had over 100K miles on it and a lot of interior sun damage especially on the dash / upholstery (as the IS is prone to) Anyway I was looking to buy a replacement, but really started giving the SC a thought especially used as I can get them for my budget for anything around 22-23K or ideally less. I had a few questions:

What were major issues that I should be wary of in a 2002-3 SC?

How are these cars in long run? How much should I anticipate in maintanence costs?

I've never bought a used car and Lexus won't certify anything < 2004 so whats the best way to "check-up" on a car I'm interested. Basically, how much would it cost to do a diagnostic and do they really do anything? My IS was bought at JM Lexus in South Florida (which I read on this forum is respectable)

Any other hints or anything to look for?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
Old 08-11-09, 02:36 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Check out this thread where the same subject was covered fairly well.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-02-sc430.html
Any more questions after reading that thread?
Old 08-11-09, 02:50 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Harold57 thanks, I did read that thread, but since its my first time buying a used car I wanted to know how much the car costs to maintain in the long-run...
Old 08-11-09, 03:03 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

it doesn't cost much. especially if you have your maintenance done by toyota rather than lexus. they're very reliable cars.
Old 08-11-09, 04:19 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maintenance costs are determined by your driving habits. Drive the ***** out of it, they go up. Under "normal" driving conditions the reliability is excellent, very likely the best of any car you could buy.
Old 08-11-09, 04:55 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IStoSC
Harold57 thanks, I did read that thread, but since its my first time buying a used car I wanted to know how much the car costs to maintain in the long-run...
Good. First, get a hold of the Carfax on the vehicle. If its history looks good, then, find a good independent mechanic that you can trust to give you an appraisal of the vehicle's condition. (If you don't already have one, network around to find one that someone else trusts. I take it that you aren't one who works on cars, true?) Don't use a mechanic from the dealer selling the vehicle or trust an owner to tell you about any issues. (If it is a trusted Lexus dealer, that would be a different story. You should be able to trust them.)

Be sure to specifically check out all the items listed in that thread referred to earlier. Get as low mileage vehicle as makes financial sense.

There are a whole lotta folks driving very high mileage SC430s that still love their cars, so don't worry too much about longevity. However, having said that, you might as well be the one to put the mileage on it rather than someone else, if possible.

This thread will tell you whether you are able to get an extended warranty on the vehicle.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...arranties.html
Old 08-11-09, 05:25 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

^I really appreciate all the advice...haha clearly I'm not one who works on cars. I was hoping my IS would drive me through med school / residency...but that is not going to be the case, so I really hope its an SC

Final amateur question: The timing belts should be changed at 70K miles? I think thats when I got my IS serviced for the belts...
Old 08-11-09, 07:13 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IStoSC
The timing belts should be changed at 70K miles? I think thats when I got my IS serviced for the belts...
Every 6 years or 90,000 is recommended.

That's another thing you should check, if you buy a 2002 or 2003. Both would be due the timing belt service, even if they have less than 90,000. Ask to get a printout of the service history from Lexus from the buyer. That history will show whether or not the timing belt has ever been changed, as well as the total service on the vehicle. In some ways, I think the service history is almost as important as a Carfax history, etc. Try to get the buyer to pay for the timing belt if it hasn't been done, prior to the purchase. Never hurts to ask.
Old 08-12-09, 09:39 AM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

Oh....timing belt...just had that done on my car at 90K. I bought the parts online and had a shop do this for $500, so parts+labor = $750. I do my own oil changes and am using Mobil 1 extended performance oil (15K miles between changes), that'll save some money.

Issues...well, looks like there's some problems with the driver side mirror where the motor can go bad (won't tilt down when car is in reverse). Happens to some people (like me). I can live without it for now, the passenger side one is the more important of the two anyways... Then there's the TPMS which are scheduled to go bad after 5-7 years...these costs a lot to replace ($140 each? x4 plus labor = $$$$). Run flat tires, which come standard on these cars, cost alot too. Most people just switch to normal tires anyways (for more comfort), so you'll save some money there. Then there's the ugly pie plate wheels...again, if you don't mind them, there's no problem, but many people end up swithcing the covers or buying new rims. MPG isn't the greatest, so don't expect to get IS mileage out of this SC. That being said, I probably get the best mileage out of my car then anyone on this forum (up to 29mpg now with the pulstar plugs). Normally it is around 22-24mpg, which works out to be a tank of gas (~$50) every 350 miles, premium is recommended, but honestly, I use regular unless I'm planning to race around somewhere (in which I would need premium). Some people have reported that the shocks that hold up the trunk goes bad too, haven't for me yet. Not to expensive to replace if bought on ebay.

...I think that's about it. As you can see, alot of the issues are things that normally happen anyway (normal wear+tear) or are things that are cosmetic. All in all, this is/was the flagship car of Lexus, so of course parts will be a tad more expensive to replace. I hope you don't get the modding bug, because that's when things can get quickly out of hand (parts for this car are rare and $$$).
Old 08-12-09, 11:18 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CAMAracer
I think that's about it.
I would add two more things. The lower front door (6X9) speakers that separate and buzz, and the navigation system (i.e., no disc detected) that seems to go out on some earlier models. I haven't had the navi problem, but I know lots of others here have.
Old 08-12-09, 11:47 AM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Wow thanks a ton you guys are awesome...I realize SC is the big leagues compared to the IS, but just wanted to know some of the cons to go with the laundry list of pros I read about the SC.
Old 08-13-09, 08:02 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just want to let you know that there are a lot of great SC's on Ebay everyday, that you can find between 18-23K. I buy all of my vehicles off Ebay and have never been disappointed. The SC is the best car in the world, get ready for an awful lot of compliments as the car attracts both friends and strangers!
Old 08-16-09, 12:46 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

just bought a 2002 SC black / black...its getting detailed / timing belt change / few other checks and I should officially have it Tuesdayish!

Thanks for all the help!
Old 08-16-09, 12:59 PM
lyyca
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the club
Old 08-16-09, 01:35 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Congratulations and welcome to the club. Post some pictures when you get the chance.

Quick Reply: Purchasing SC...just lost my beloved IS