SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Help Replacing Cabin Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-09, 08:54 AM
rjg776
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Replacing Cabin Air Filter

Can someone tell me how to replace the air filter on SC430?
Old 08-13-09, 08:57 AM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Piece of cake.

Take your glove compartment out, flip the release and replace.

The only warning I have is don't hit the buttons to the right of the glove box. They'll turn on your tire pressure warning and then you'll have to go to the Lexus dealership for them to tell you how stupid you are. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 08-13-09, 12:32 PM
Lapraka
Driver

LOL Jackalope...
Old 08-13-09, 11:13 PM
donaldp
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There is no need to take the glove compartment out. There is a "trap door" at the back of the glove box that is well concealed. You need to push the door up vertically until the tabs on the bottom are exposed. Once exposed, pull the door forward from the bottom and remove the door. Behind the door is a plastic cover that once removed gives access to the air filter. Pull the filter out towards you, taking note of the direction of the elements, replace the filter and reassemble. The whole process should take two minutes. This is how my 2007 is equipped and I have the passenger side knee airbag below the glove box which makes the access half the size of older models.
The following users liked this post:
Wilson2000 (06-27-20)
Old 08-15-09, 03:00 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackalope
Piece of cake.

Take your glove compartment out, flip the release and replace.

The only warning I have is don't hit the buttons to the right of the glove box. They'll turn on your tire pressure warning and then you'll have to go to the Lexus dealership for them to tell you how stupid you are. Don't ask me how I know.
Happened to me too Jackalope !!
Old 08-15-09, 04:50 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by donaldp
There is no need to take the glove compartment out. There is a "trap door" at the back of the glove box that is well concealed. You need to push the door up vertically until the tabs on the bottom are exposed. Once exposed, pull the door forward from the bottom and remove the door. Behind the door is a plastic cover that once removed gives access to the air filter. Pull the filter out towards you, taking note of the direction of the elements, replace the filter and reassemble. The whole process should take two minutes. This is how my 2007 is equipped and I have the passenger side knee airbag below the glove box which makes the access half the size of older models.
If I recall, you can refer to the manual for some pics of the process.
Old 08-15-09, 11:08 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I did this about a month ago, following the instructions (printed below) which I got from another thread and I have added some comments in red. This is one of those things where it makes sense when you are actually doing it compared to trying to describe it. It took me about 10 minutes which includes five minutes trying to find a screw driver.

-- quote --

1. Remove Phillips head screw from right side of the glove compartment door and pull the lifter mechanism away from the post. This is what gives you access -- you need to get the door out of the way by releasing it from the "thingie" which prevents full travel

2. Reach into the compartment and turn the plastic button on each side a quarter turn (can't remember if it is right or left, just try) and then pull the button into the glove compartment. I think I used a little force on this to pop it out -- it is plastic and bends easily

3. Lower the drawer and pull toward you.

4. Grasping by outer edges, pull the compartment containing the filter toward you.

5. Install new filter Pay attention to airflow direction on the filter

6. Replace filter drawer and push in until it snaps

7. With the glove compartment drawer tilted well down toward the floor, engage the hinges so that the bar on the dashboard is BETWEEN the two prongs on each hinge. I have no idea what this means and it wasn't an issue in my 06

8. Reinstall the two plastic buttons and turn a quarter turn to lock.

9. Reattach lifter mechanism Pop it back in and reinstall Phillips head screw.

Last edited by JohnnyCake; 08-15-09 at 02:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bcopeland (10-19-20)
Old 08-15-09, 03:37 PM
robsvdp
Pole Position

I replaced mine without remove the philips screw -- glove compartment opened enough as is to turn/pull the plastic retaining nuts. 2006 model.
Old 05-26-10, 11:03 AM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone know what Pronto part #PC5518 is?
A site says it's a cabin air filter, but with a price of $5.58, I'm skeptical.
Beats the $15-20 I have found online, but may come with a different cost (i.e. suck factor). Perhaps it's not a charcoal filter.
Old 08-03-10, 05:31 PM
Alterious
Driver

i just did mine took 2 mins. you just push the sides in to unhook the sides then you can access it.
Old 08-03-10, 08:09 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

You'd be surprised how many people get suckered into this service at the dealer to the tune of $129-$150. My infiniti is $150 at the dealer and I bought the Nissan OEM filter online for $20 and it took me 10 minutes to also do. On a FX35 the only screw up you can have is to pull out the airbag harness (which yours truly did!!!) by pulling on the wrong harness to undo the glove box light. Rats! Have to get the airbag light reset at dealer now...under warranty of course!

I'd recommend if you live in a high pollen, high temperature/humidity high polution or high dust area (that's everyone isn't it??? LOL) I'd recommend replacing once a year. It really makes a difference with the smell of your cabin...keep that "new leather smell" longer!

My 05 CPO's 30k service was done last Sept and I plan on replacing mine soon. I keep a couple on hand that I bought on eBay Toyota OEM parts.

There has been much discussion for a while on carbon filters versus non, and of course the cheap $5.00 versus the non-oem $15 to the OEM $25, $30 and up. I got my OEM's on eBay for $22. That's a good price considering some of our vendors are selling for $31 plus tax and shipping.
Old 08-04-10, 02:17 AM
Alterious
Driver

yeah i got mine from ebay and i paid $6.50 including shipping and it took me 2 mins to replace it my car is out of warranty and i like working on my sc so i never go to the dealership unless i have to! lol
Old 10-21-10, 03:41 PM
ja928
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by robsvdp
I replaced mine without remove the philips screw -- glove compartment opened enough as is to turn/pull the plastic retaining nuts. 2006 model.
did not have to remove philips screw also

2004 model
Old 06-18-11, 05:11 PM
strattmo
Driver School Candidate

Default sc430 cabin air filter location

I have been outsmarted getting the glove box to drop... I turned the plastic buttons in both directions, and although they move the glovebox remains in place. By any chance are there any pictures out there? Thank you.
Old 06-18-11, 05:39 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I have been outsmarted getting the glove box to drop... I turned the plastic buttons in both directions, and although they move the glovebox remains in place. By any chance are there any pictures out there? Thank you.
Once you rotated the buttons, pull on them until the button pulls out about 3/8".

Quick Reply: Help Replacing Cabin Air Filter