Ding, dang, DARN!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-02, 02:28 PM
stevelaw
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corner parking solution

1. Park in corner spots

2. Carry six pack of empty beer bottles in trunk (trunk is too small to carry the orange traffic control cones you keep in the LS 430) - stand them strategically in empty spot next to yours:

A. Empty bottles will prevent lazy driver from pulling into the spot; or

B. Empty bottles will make useful weapons for revenge upon idiot that ran over bottles, broke them, and still parked too close to you.
Old 04-16-02, 02:32 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ROFL.. This thread is getting way too funny.. Love the bottle idea but if 5-0 views this you will be charged for littering..

This orange cones are the only thing that might fit in the rear seats (I use that term loosely) so that solves that little problem..

When the Mrs comes home I have to let her read this so she knows I am not the only one who does this.. Thanks guys!

Might have to add this to the FAQ..
Old 04-16-02, 07:52 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The beer bottles is great.....basically just bring all of your trash with you and put it in the spots near you. Damn if only a shopping cart with no wheels would fit in the trunk.
Old 04-17-02, 05:41 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Give him hell, Vicki.
Old 04-17-02, 11:50 AM
pot_head
Driver

Originally posted by LexusSC430

I dont want to get off an a sexist thing here. and im not saying all, but many women just dont care about their car at all.
my favorite line to my girlfriend...."CHANGE YOUR OIL!!!"
Old 04-17-02, 12:51 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

Originally posted by NVMYGS3
The best advice I can give on this topic is to ...

PARK NEXT TO MINIVANS! (MINI)

noooooo, no minivans!!! got a nice dent and multiple scratches on my driver side door, from my guess a baby stroller!!

asides from that, they usually carry more people, and each additional person adds one more factor to the overal risk.
Old 04-17-02, 02:31 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Now I see that I am as nuts as everyone on this forum. Boy, do I feel relieved.

I park so far away at malls that everyone asks whether or not "they should adjust their watches to a different time zone...."

Also they ask........."Is this where the shuttle picks us up to take us to the entrance?"

I'm showing this to my wife as well. She already says I spend more time in the garage with my cars than I do with her. Then again, if she were as low maintenence as a Lexus, maybe I'd reconsider.

I guess I'll hear it from the ladies as well with that comment. Then again, Vicky seems to be a really cool car person.
Old 04-17-02, 03:43 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a shovel, Larry.

D---)

You'd better not let your wife see your last message.
While _I_ understand that your comment was reflective of the extraordinarily low maintenance needs of Lexus cars, she may see it otherwise.

And making comments about Vicky being a cool car person (while true -- she IS a Club Lexus member) may also be misconstrued.

So would you modify your will and give me your SC (despite it's need for work) if your wife kills you?
Old 04-17-02, 08:14 PM
vicky!!!
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb Oh Boy, you did it now

I dont want to get off an a sexist thing here. and im not saying all, but many women just dont care about their car at all. Its not to say they arent repsective of other peoples things. My sister drove her car around for a year wondering why it shook and pulled to the right. Finally after getting a flat, I go, "Hit any curbs lately?" Shes like well maybe.....that would explain why her rim was in the shape of a triangle. Im sure I'll here it from whatever women are on this site though. [/B]
O.K. BOYS....and Mr. White SC in North Jersey...I knew this was bound to happen sooner or later!
Come on, just 'cause some women don't seem to care doesn't speak for all of us or even "many". I just happen to know men that could care less about the car they drive, as well. It's all a matter of personal pride, period, regardless of the sex.

Oh, and the mini van thing with the 5 year old kid and their mom.....same thing could happen with a dad driving the kid in the mini van, as well.

I think you just have to use common sense. For instance, If I am parking at the gym or in a school parking lot, where most everyone there is driving alone, I will park a little closer to the passenger's side than to the driver's side.

Also, try to park near the door or windows of a restaurant, etc. I believe that it may prevent someone from unconsciously opening their door into yours if they think someone may be watching. I drove up to a Ruby Tuesday's recently and the hostess (yes, to all you dinosaurs out there a woman) was so impressed with my car that she kept giving me updates whenever she would pass by my table. It was sort of like she was babysitting my new baby.

Good Luck to all of us that care about our ding-free beauties, no matter which sex we may be.
Vicky

Last edited by vicky!!!; 04-17-02 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-17-02, 08:36 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very well said Vicky!!
Old 04-17-02, 10:52 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Hahah, Vicky I think it is the other way around. Many women dont care and few do. I dont know why women get so offended, they will drive around in a car needing an oil change for the past 20,000 miles and then ask their bf, husband or father to do so. I dont think it is unfair to say that cars is a guy thing. I cant see any guy getting mad at a women for saying shopping for shoes is a "girl thing" Many does not mean all. I am simply going by lifes experiences. My "hypothesis," so to speak, is supported by you being the only woman in this forum. I truly mean no ill will or offense. Guys get made fun of cause they cant match (although I can) and girls get made fun of cause the couldnt find the dipstick(im sur eyou can). The day I see my guy friends owning 100 pairs of shoes and my girlfriends washing and waxing their car every weekend is the day I will formally apologize to you.

As for the minivans, I dont know why anyone drives them....go buy an SUV. Ok I could say plenty more but I wont, Ive put my foot in my mouth far enough.
Old 04-18-02, 05:25 AM
vicky!!!
Driver School Candidate

Hahah, Vicky I think it is the other way around. Many women dont care and few do. I dont know why women get so offended, they will drive around in a car needing an oil change for the past 20,000 miles and then ask their bf, husband or father to do so. I dont think it is unfair to say that cars is a guy thing. I cant see any guy getting mad at a women for saying shopping for shoes is a "girl thing" Many does not mean all. I am simply going by lifes experiences. My "hypothesis," so to speak, is supported by you being the only woman in this forum. I truly mean no ill will or offense. Guys get made fun of cause they cant match (although I can) and girls get made fun of cause the couldnt find the dipstick(im sur eyou can). The day I see my guy friends owning 100 pairs of shoes and my girlfriends washing and waxing their car every weekend is the day I will formally apologize to you.

As for the minivans, I dont know why anyone drives them....go buy an SUV. Ok I could say plenty more but I wont, Ive put my foot in my mouth far enough.
Lexus SC430,

Seriously,
Let's not get into a verbal war..........who has time for that? But, I don't get it...Ha ha what? What other way around??? I didn't say "many" men, I simply said that I know of men that don't care about their car. I wouldn't make such a broad statement about the opposite sex. And, please know that I am not in the least offended.....you didn't attack me personally, did you?. Just simply offering my opinion like everyone else in these forums.

And for the oil change thing I have never, nor do I intend to ever change my own oil. That is what a mechanic is for, right? It's like if my refrigerator needs maintenance, I don't pull the monster out from the wall and start tinkering with it. I simply call a professional in that particular field......much like maintaining my car. Oh and speaking of maintaining the car, and you surely know about the FREE service that comes with your Lexus. Now that is a major selling point, if you ask me. I don't mow my own lawn, either.....come to think of it, niether does my husband. My time is much too valuable to learn something that has absolutly no interest to me, when I can pay someone else to take care of it for me. I'll bet you don't cut your own hair, or do you own one of those gadgets that you connect to a vaccum? I know many, yes I said MANY Professional men that wouldn't dream of changing their own oil. Does this make them less a man in you opinion? It makes them seem smart to me. Why should they spend their time doing something that costs $10.00 to $20.00 dollars an hour to do, when they can make more than that in an hour? No official appology necessary......I know your kind exisits, being a woman in the real estate business I have encountered MANY!!! . But, now that I've found this forum you may have to put up with my kind, too. Whew, I can sure see that some of you guys need a little perspective from a female. Aren't you glad that I'm here??????? Now that probably deserves a ha ha ha!

Have you ever seen the doors on an SUV? They are big and heavy. My husband drives an Expedition and you have to be very careful when you open those doors, for sure. I'm not so sure it is a smart move to park next to an SUV over a mini van. But, I do agree with you on that point.....I would never own a mini van when there are SUV's in the world. See, there we do have something in common.
Bye Y'all
Vicky
Old 04-18-02, 06:51 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

I didnt mean change the oil themselves, I meant change the oil in general, it was always my fathers responsibility to do so. Whether you believe it or not I am not one of those guys, just point out the way things are.
Old 04-18-02, 09:24 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"Ding guy" ?? Is that a pack of Australian wild dogs ?
Do they fix cars AND steel babies from Meryl Streep ?
Old 04-18-02, 11:06 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default don't be a target either!!!!

I always park far away.... and prefer a corner spot where no one can bump into my front bumper either... and figure I can ALWAYS use the exercise...

...funny (sort of sad) story.... One of the reasons I was told by my 'x (in divorce court)... for the divorce is my unnatural state-of-mind about my car(s)... the parking in bufu... ...the constant cleaning and waxing.... the driving for the sake of driving... etc. etc.

///ANYWAY... back to the topic at hand....

BEWARE and don't EVER take up 2 or 3 parking spaces EVEN if you aren't near another car... this is just asking for trouble...

AND Don't park so far away that you are not in a clear - well lit area and make yourself a target for vandals and/or petty theft..

AND NEVER EVER give your car to a Valet to park!!!!!!!