SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Ding, dang, DARN!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-02 | 07:17 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Default Ding, dang, DARN!

So much for perfection...

After almost 5 months, I'm up to 2 scuffs on the rear quarters of the fenders (not too bad), and a ding on the driver's door, near the front. No paint chips from them, but I do have a couple on the hood. Highway driving isn't very forgiving. Thankfully, they're small.
(And while I agree on the Xpel's effectiveness, the chips are high on the hood -- higher than Xpel would be applied.)

I guess I'll wait until I get a few more imperfections before I take it in for some paintless dent repair.

So why post this? Maybe for some discussion on others' handling of these situations. Do you park 0.5 miles from any densely populated parking lot? For me, I won't allow my ownership of a car inconvenience me. I guess it comes with a price.

Also, this is another chance for me to express my disagreement with Lexus' choice to do away with the superior door hinges available on the SC3/400's (also found on the new CL500's, to my disdain). They did an excellent job of reducing the door's extension from the body while allowing a full entry to the car. Not sure why the did away with them.

We've had some windy days in the last couple of months here in Texas, and if you're not thinking about it, it can blow your door wide open, possibly into another car. I guess the same goes for others into my car.

I guess this fulfills one of my notable quotes:
"Perfection is a goal, not an achievable goal."
Old 04-15-02 | 03:39 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

> For me, I won't allow my ownership of a car inconvenience me. <

Good for you, anti ... I wish I could muster up that attitude. I always park way far away if I'm at a normal parking lot. When I'm going to a place with limited parking and small slots, I just take my winter car - an Outback.
Old 04-15-02 | 06:05 PM
LexusFamily
Driver School Candidate

Sadly, entropy is in store for everything in this world and everything is downhill from the moment the car leaves the dealership. Dings are inevitable and normal. After having 2 moderate sized chips on my SC430, I too have had xpel installed on the the hood, front spoiler, lights, and mirrors. (A reputable dent/paint shop wanted $75 to paint the 2 small chips and another $75 to pull the small dent underneath one of them.)

I too have had a "second tier " car which I recently got rid of (a 1985 Saab 900T, of which I was extremely fond of), but found it beginning to get to be a bit of a hassle/waste to maintain, inspect, insure for the rare times when I would need it. Plus, what's the fun in having a nice car if I'm afraid to drive it?

A car is definitely not a financial investment. (My 2000 LX470, over $60K new out the door, is now only worth $35K if I were to trade it in at the dealership.) Because it degrades over time, it also degrades in monetary value. For me, the key issue is how much to spend vs how much to save. If it makes sense for me to divert money for an expensive car, money that I could have financially invested, and instead enjoy nice drives to the mountains, beaches, hiking trails, etc. at this point in my life, then I have accepted the natural fact that the car is going to degrade and just have fun with it. And try not to let dings bother me too much.

However, having said all that, I still find myself guilty of parking far away at the mall, restaurant, long term parking lots, etc. Everytime, I see a car that later parks next to my new SC430, I grimace, knowing that I am being exposed to a potential broadside. Hey, it's still a new car for me. I'll try to keep both my Lexi 10 years if I can. And I'll probably loosen up as the years go by and start to park "normally". It's only natural.
Old 04-15-02 | 06:09 PM
LexusFamily
Driver School Candidate

P.S. Good new thread by the way. I'm guessing that dings are the minds of a lot of owners of new SC430s.
Old 04-15-02 | 06:13 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default If a tree falls...

When my car was new (June 2001) I parked at a local nursery on Long Island (away from other cars) and in a freak accident a large tree (balled up in burlap) rolled over onto the hood. It dented and scuffed the hood before I even had my license plates.

I was so angry and bummed that I wouldn't even drive into town - I didn't want to "deal" with the pitiful stares from people seeing my now "imperfect" car.

Well the nursery paid for the quick repair (although not for the necessary psychotherapy!) - the car looks perfect and now I treat it - not as a priceless irreplaceable work of art - but as an expensive piece of sheetmetal.

I don't worry about where I park. I've learned my lesson and gained my perspective - you never know when a tree will fall on you!

Last edited by Knicksfan; 04-15-02 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-15-02 | 09:09 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

I am so guilty of parking FAR FAR away from all the other cars.. I even purposely look for parking spots that can't access another car to one side (ie. against a curb) and leave lots of room to the exposed side if anyone parks near me..

My better half thinks I am psycho but its my little vice in the world and until it gets its first ding I guess I will be like this (Sad to say.. ).. Now if I could only Xpel the whole car then I wouldn't have to worry.. LOL (Woo just had a flash back of my aunt who use to put plastic on her couch and chairs.. hehe)
Old 04-16-02 | 04:33 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

>parking spots that can't access another car to one side (ie. against a curb) and leave lots of room to the exposed side if anyone parks near me.. <

2savvy ...
I do exactly the same. But have you ever noticed when you leave lots of room next to your parking space some a**hole will use it and park right on top of you anyway?

Still, I just cannot bring myself to park diagonally, taking up three parking spots as some do.
Old 04-16-02 | 09:21 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

1NICESC430,

Funny enough this just happened to me when I went out to get a coffee.. Left tons of room and some a$$hole decides to slide in nice and tight.. Had to open my door easy and slide myself in.. Pain in the butt.. Oh well good thing he didn't have a passenger..
Old 04-16-02 | 10:03 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Hahaha....I so dont want to be that guy though. i try to leave distance, but some people are ridiculous. i passed by the mall the other day and this guy in a Corvette is like 40 spaces away from every other car. And you say well Corvette is a nice car....yeah, but this thing was like a 1990. I was like yeah buddy lots of people wanna mess up your POS Chevy

I always look for corner spots too. Or if there are none of them, I will look for the spot with the nicest car next to it and get closer to them then I normally would. There is sort of a bond between people like that....LMAO
Old 04-16-02 | 10:52 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Default Rules of engagment when parking your car..

1. NEVER park near mini-vans or station wagons (Fear of little kids and house wives who just don't understand.. LOL)

2. Always park beside a car that is nice but not someone who you think is jealous (This takes alot of mental fortitude to figure out.. ROFL)

3. Corner parking spots are very much preferred but are at an extreme premium.

4. NEVER go to the malls on Weekends or Holidays in your good car (ie SC430).. Try to con the wife or friend to take you for these occasions in their ride.

As you can see I am bored at work today.. Anyone want to add to my little list here..

Ken
Old 04-16-02 | 11:04 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Okay, 2savvy, I'll add a couple to your list ...

Don't park next to two-door cars - their doors are way too big. Well, unless it's another SC430 whose owner you know will be extremely careful

Retire (like me) so you can go out at 10am or 2pm when everyone else is at work. This takes a while.
Old 04-16-02 | 11:15 AM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

The best advice I can give on this topic is to ...

PARK NEXT TO MINIVANS! (MINI)

Minivans have doors that go sideways (never opening up) therefore the chance of dinging your car is less. However, this rule only applies to minivans because on regular vans, I've seen elderly people try to get in with their wheelchairs and well, in that case, say bye bye to perfect ding free doors.
Old 04-16-02 | 11:20 AM
LexusFamily
Driver School Candidate

Let me just add the following to the excellent "rules" already listed:

1. Try to avoid at all costs parking next to a car that is higher on a slope, especially a 2 door. Gravity can easily pull the door beyond the 1st bump stop and give you a good broadside.

2. Park far enough away to be away from another car, but not too far away lest it dare someone into parking next to you.
Old 04-16-02 | 01:25 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

My additions and a rebuttal:

1. Be aware of windy days. They can catch YOUR door and smack someone else's car (which would be hypocritical). Not to mention the paint chip on your door and what the wind can do to others' doors hitting you.

2. Don't assume that another owner is as respectful of your car as their own, even if it's a nice car. Many people live their lives unconsciously, and don't take the time to consider the results of their actions, even if it risks themselves or their belongings.

3. It's kind of a toss-up on which side of another car to park (driver's or passenger's). There's no guarantee that a passenger will be in that car, but in my experience drivers are more responsible, considering that it's their car. See #2 for possible negation of this half-a**ed idea.

BTW, I also look for a curb to park against. The only issues there: sprinklers and lawn equipment.
Back to my notable quote...

Thanks, everyone -- this is a great thread.
Nice to collaborate with appreciative owners.
Enjoy the Spring -- tops and hammer down!
Old 04-16-02 | 02:00 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

NONONO, dont ever park next to a minivan. Small doors or not, when the mother is loading her 5 year old kid into the car and hes carrying every toy ever made and swinging them around. Just because the doors wont hit your car doesnt mean people dont walk up against them brush them and etc.

I dont want to get off an a sexist thing here. and im not saying all, but many women just dont care about their car at all. Its not to say they arent repsective of other peoples things. My sister drove her car around for a year wondering why it shook and pulled to the right. Finally after getting a flat, I go, "Hit any curbs lately?" Shes like well maybe.....that would explain why her rim was in the shape of a triangle. Im sure I'll here it from whatever women are on this site though.

Quick Reply: Ding, dang, DARN!