SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Help! Sold my 02 Red/Ecru SC430 Need New BABY...Can't Find What I Want..

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-09, 07:25 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Help! Sold my 02 Red/Ecru SC430 Need New BABY...Can't Find What I Want..

Okay, call me crazy, but in the midst of a scare at work as well as getting a little bored with my out-of-warranty 2002 SC430 with only 29k miles, I sold it on eBay for $24k to new worthy owners and car collectors.

I had every intention of buying a Porsche 911 996 cabrio, but cannot find one that measures up for the price (under $40k would be great) and the more I look at p-cars the more I am having my doubts I will "love" it like I loved the SC.

I was concerned about dropping long term money into the SC and still not being fully happy without a turbo swap, manual transmission or some serious mods to make it more "fun". Got kinda tired of seeing every other one on the road a 55-60 woman drive! Granted, they were not sitting on the same wheels as me, but hey, it's just wheels, right???

So...I am actually looking at SC's again. This time I will look at either a super cheap 2002 with higher miles and mod the hell out of it, OR buy a cream puff 2006 or newer for the transmission.

I am also looking at XK8's (2007 and on), older Aston Martin DB7 volante or even looked at a Mustang Saleen S281 convertible all under $40k.

Also considering leasing a NEW G37 convertible, while I love the tech and the look with the top down, the top up reminds me SO MUCH of a Pontiac G5 convertible and can't help to think that I am not alone. The SC430 just does it all so well...except for perhaps the fun factor, one of the main reasons why I got rid of it. Any thoughts? Was a stupid to sell for $24k?
Old 08-30-09, 08:06 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

When you find an Aston Martin DB7 Volante for under $40K, drive it to the police station. It's stolen.
Old 08-30-09, 08:15 PM
scdroptop

lol, believe it or not, there are some out there...2000 model year and under. They are a "steal" value wise, but I have heard they are a nightmare mechanically. There is a gorgeous 2001 (new front grill and bigger lights/fogs) for $41k navy blue, blue top.

I just don't know if it makes much sense paying $40k for a ten year old car...or even $35k for a 8 year old car in the case of the porsches, ya know?
Old 08-30-09, 08:16 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I vote for an 06+ SC430. They are beautiful, especially with the midlife updates. I like the new wheels, the LED taillights, and color choices that came in 06. On top of it, the 4.3 V8 is an amazing engine. I have had zero issues with ours.
Old 08-30-09, 10:08 PM
fotch
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought an '06 to replace my '93 SC400, it's going to be my granddaughter's first car. I've enjoyed the '93 for 13 years and 150K miles but my '06 is so nice to drive. I had a choice between identical (color combination) '05 & '06's, the guys here helped me decide on the '06 and I can't thank them enough. I look forward to every chance I get to drive it and every chance I get to put the top down. I'm perfectly content with the stock setup and lack of fun everyone seems to complain about, I personally can't stop smiling. Although, I do like the look of bigger wheels and a little height adjustment. Anyway... go with an '06 for the technology, you can still do what you want with it to make it yours.
Old 08-31-09, 02:06 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
When you find an Aston Martin DB7 Volante for under $40K, drive it to the police station. It's stolen.
+1 JohnnyCake, and enjoy the bracelets they put on you and your new jumpsuit !!
Old 08-31-09, 02:09 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
I vote for an 06+ SC430. They are beautiful, especially with the midlife updates. I like the new wheels, the LED taillights, and color choices that came in 06. On top of it, the 4.3 V8 is an amazing engine. I have had zero issues with ours.
+1 jjbenzo, next year I'll sell my 03 to move up to a 06, can't wait, hope the prices go a little lower
Old 08-31-09, 08:19 AM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look into a Maserati CambioCorsa. You can find about an 02-04 for around $30K. I really like the new Jaguar XKs too. Keep us updated!
Old 08-31-09, 10:44 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going through the same decision process, although I haven't even tried to sell the SC. I've decided not to do any mods to the SC, since it's limited in what you can get out of the engine without yanking it out and going through it.
I've been looking at Porsche's, and found you can get a decent late model Cayman for about the same coin as your budget. Since I'm looking for more performance than the SC, I was considering the "S" models. I found that if you want more room than the Cayman has (I'm 6'4"), you have to go up to a 911.
I'm all over the place though - been looking at Z06's, and even the 2SS Camaro's. All I'm certain of right now is I've got the "itch"
Keep us posted!
Old 09-02-09, 09:36 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Recently sold my SC430 as well. Though I miss it, it rarely served my current needs compared to my RL. I find that I am also in the same boat as yourself but am not seeking another convertible. I'm eying a very clean 08 550i at the moment though the bug for a unreliable AMG E55 keeps pinching me. I did shop 996 convertibles years ago before the SC430 purchase and was pushed off by many factors including power, interior appointments, etc. The SC430 just fit my needs better back then.
Best of luck with your search.
Old 09-03-09, 04:38 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Recently sold my SC430 as well. Though I miss it, it rarely served my current needs compared to my RL. I find that I am also in the same boat as yourself but am not seeking another convertible. I'm eying a very clean 08 550i at the moment though the bug for a unreliable AMG E55 keeps pinching me. I did shop 996 convertibles years ago before the SC430 purchase and was pushed off by many factors including power, interior appointments, etc. The SC430 just fit my needs better back then.
Best of luck with your search.
Hey PearlPower, please don't buy that AMG E55, my friend has one, it's been a nightmare !
Old 09-03-09, 10:23 PM
scdroptop

Default okay...i've narrowed it down...another SC or a G37 Convertible...3 options

Okay, I finally drove a 2006+ SC and experienced the bluetooth in that car and the manumatic for the first time and I liked the bt, but the manumatic wasn't much more exciting than the c-gate shifter on the 2002-2005's that I reported on previously--basically manually shifting from L-2-3-4.

So, I have decided that I love the absolute red so much that if I do get another SC, it will certainly be a 2002-2005.

Remember-I have to have a backseat and I was somewhat bored with my 2002 and wanted to sell it as soon as my warranty expired so I could get out before I sunk more money into it. I sold it for $24k. My payments were $550 per month and I had about three more years on it. I am looking for something around the same payment range, or my wife will kill me!!! 3 cars!!!

***As far as I know, the only difference in the 2005's are that they have voice nav and bluetooth, right? No other changes, right?

I found a red/ecru 2002 72k miles, I negotiated down to $18,500. It needs: one speaker replaced (front ML tweeter I think), antenna is broken, brakes feel a little soft, new RFT's (I would put 20's and tires on anyway), major interior detail and leather refresh, trunk struts and a couple of extra keys. Serviced partially at Baton Rouge Lexus and a one owner. I believe it had the 30k service but nothing else past that. I would say it is a 7.5/8 out of 10 for condition. Great luster on the paint...interior needs most work with the seatbelts and reconditioning of the seats, but I can do that.

I figure, this car after I am done with it will cost me about $22k, which is pretty damn close to what I sold my baby...2002 SC red/ecru with only 29k miles that I invested a TON of money in. THIS DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE DOES IT??? On a positive note: this car would only be about $300/month!

So...we go to my last SC option. A 2005. Get the last year they made the red/ecru...get the bluetooth. I found a 2005 in Alabama, one owner, always dealer serviced red/ecru again. 61k miles. Those standard 18" chrome wheels which are nice, but I would definitely put wheels on it. It's had the 30k and 60k service and been pampered. It is probably a 8.5/9 out of 10, maybe higher. I can get it for around $24k or so, which would make me feel better that I am getting a 3 year newer car than my old one for about the same price. Payment: $400 per month-$450.

Lastly I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the new G37 convertible. It is refined, fast, classy, four cars in one (i'll explain further), modern, has all the features you would ever want, but unfortunately it's close to $50k. OBVIOUSLY I would have to lease this car to get a decent payment.

So...Red on black 2009 G37 Convertible, Premium package gives you ipod, XM, bluetooth, cooled seats, paddle shifters (only with auto) all the other stuff like heated seats, HID, etc etc, 19" wheels, wood package and lighted kick plates package. Has the sweet bose headrests and filtration air system.

This car's MSRP is $50k. I am paying VPP pricing which is like employee pricing becuase my wife works for AT&T. I can get it for $650/month for a 42 month lease with $2500 down. It is in Atlanta so I would have to drive it back to dallas (ugh, 12 hours!) or ship it for $700. It's a little more than I would spend on the other two cars AND I WOULD NOT OWN IT!

Pros on the Infiniti vs the Lexus: Excitement. It's fast, it's got the gadgets, it's unique and new. I don't know it...I wouldn't get bored and if I did get bored, I could dump it in 3.5 years and get something else.

Cons: Price, lease vs buy and it's not a Lexus. not as plush inside, but still very nice. harder to turn over, no equity, have to put cash down to get payments in the $600's.

Another note: In this economy, obviously a "fun car" is a rather stupid thing to buy, but is it REALLY STUPID to lease one, considering if you lost your job or something it would be much harder to get out of a lease than it would to sell the Lexus cars? Or would it be harder? It seems that I am buying the Lexus cars at wholesale pricing...whereas I am paying a premium for a new car with the infiniti.

Also, since I would own and upgrade and keep the Lexus cars in tip top shape, would I have more options to possibly turn them and make some money like I did on my older 2002, than I would obviously getting out of a lease earlier if I needed to in a pinch?

Let me know your thoughts and opinions.
Old 09-03-09, 10:50 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Decision is yours. As much as the gadgets are a load of fun you can add BT, satellite to the SC as well though it will not be as seamless as a factory option. Interior wise the SC is in another league. The new G37C is also very heavy so overall acceleration is around the same between the two from what I gather.

Comes down to what you really are looking for. A 2002 is still 8 model years old and items will break. I generally do not recommend leasing to anyone, but that is just me. The SC is less than half the price and it's a Lexus, not an Infiniti if that matters-to some it does.

On the car you listed I would offer up 17.5K and not pay up more than $18k

Interior shot of the G37

And our favorite
Old 09-04-09, 03:29 AM
tromly
Pole Position

That lease for the Infinity doesn't make sense, waste of cash, buy used, you'll be miles ahead. Please stay with Lexus !!
Old 09-04-09, 07:01 AM
Jace_91
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

even if you do decide to go with an infiniti, I would wait a little longer and try to pick up a 2009 infiniti G37c used, and buy it.

Quick Reply: Help! Sold my 02 Red/Ecru SC430 Need New BABY...Can't Find What I Want..