SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Towing damage?!?!?Alarm???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-09, 11:15 PM
John007
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing damage?!?!?Alarm???

I recently got my car towed illegally... I am wondering what I should be checking for in damage wise that they may have been cause by lifting the car up vertically. Also, how do I prevent future illegal towing from ever happening again? Also, how does my alarm respond to slim jimmying the locks? The tow trucks company had done this to my car. I am wondering how they manage to get in?
Old 09-04-09, 05:57 AM
Jace_91
Pole Position

why did you have your car towed illegally, or were you parked illegally so they towed your car?
Old 09-04-09, 11:57 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

they shouldn't have had to pick your lock to tow it. even if you had the parking brake on, they could have put it on a flatbed without damaging it mechanically. if it wasn't set, they could have towed it from the back. the front wheels would roll freely. so the only damage i'd be looking for is the obvious scratches around the bumpers. most car alarms are designed to disable when the car is lifted at an angle. that tells it your car is being towed. the assumption being that you are illegally parked and should be towed. i'm not positive our alarm does this. but that's probably the case.
Old 09-04-09, 04:21 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Point of inquiry on to how they do manage to unlock all towed car without slim jimmy-ing?

Also I remember as a kid once our Ford Explorer was locked and the locksmith came up to the car with a remote key and "magically" unlocked it? I have no idea how he did that he had some weird mystery device...
Old 09-04-09, 05:09 PM
Yes

Originally Posted by IStoSC

Also I remember as a kid once our Ford Explorer was locked and the locksmith came up to the car with a remote key and "magically" unlocked it? I have no idea how he did that he had some weird mystery device...
they get the radio frequency/signal from the VIN.
Old 09-04-09, 06:35 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

^interesting, thanks for the enlightening me...
Old 09-04-09, 06:50 PM
Yes

no problem. thieves can also use the VIN to cut a key and steal your car. it's a little harder with ours with the mobilizer chip. theoretically, you can't start it without the computer chip in the key. but that's pretty easy for professional thieves to hack.
Old 09-04-09, 11:47 PM
John007
Driver

Well, please dont assume I was parking "illegally" cause I was parked in front of the store and ordered togo than went to the restroom. Looked out the store window and it was gone. The manager of the store told me he didnt and did not know that was my car or he would have stopped it... and gave me a phone number to the tow company that he claimed he didnt call. I saw some minor scratches in the fender. And stuff taken and moved to my back trunk. I dont know how they are able to get in still... My spare key is also missing from the car now... Also, my insurance card was taken out and layed on the seat. I am wondering if they are gonna drive by my house and pick up the car now. I blocked my car in with a Mercedes Sl550. Any one have any review if they are able to pick that car or lift it away. BASICALLY WOULD MY ALARM ON MY MERCEDES RING IF LIFT OR DOOR IS PICKED??? To warn me before they drive away with my lexus. Just being safe I have gated fence with motion camera sensor around the property but I am a hard sleeper the motion sound doesnt wake me up quick enough.
Old 09-05-09, 03:43 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IStoSC
^interesting, thanks for the enlightening me...
+1 IStoSC, never knew that, probably enlightened many CL members
Old 09-05-09, 07:24 AM
Jace_91
Pole Position

wow, that tow company sounds pretty sketch, I would give them a call and talk to the manager, or better yet go down and talk to the manager. And then file a police report, saying that your spare key was stolen.
Old 09-05-09, 05:12 PM
John007
Driver

Houston is one of the few cities that does not have a towing police enforcement detective. so tow truck companies do what the want when they want. They get a slap on the risk with a 100 dollar fine. If you think about it 100 dollar fine but how many cars they tow = alot more than a few hundred dollars lost. Most of the judge here that deals with towing are pretty much "owned" by tow truck companies here (no offense to elected judges). They get campaign money for reelections from tow truck companies. And Jace_91 I did talk to the manager today nicely and explain to him that i do have the receipt for my food and gave him the phone number to restaurant to verify it. He than ask me what time and I told him than he said thank you and begin to laugh and preceded to tell me that he just changed the check in time for my car 2 hours before the time I told him and said the "parking yard and I do plenty of business we split the money" I told him that was illegal and I will see him in court and he said bring me to court "I own the missable court judges here" you will not will.and hung up the phone. I called again and he preceded to laugh at me again and hung up.
Old 09-05-09, 05:38 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

^yea Miami is a *****show when cars get towed here as well...they ravage through all of your belongings and I've heard horror stories were the cars were broken into at the towing place itself were they will take out radios, navis, tvs basically anything they can screw off / unplug and make life a real hell...

My friends C class was towed and the douche bags scratched up the front fender really bad and claimed it was there when the towed the vehicle. His car was on rims and seemed to have been "dropped" off the towing bed as well with damage to the bottom and his rotors started screeching...
Old 09-05-09, 06:36 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

call the f$cker back and record the conversation.
Old 09-05-09, 10:40 PM
Jace_91
Pole Position

thats some crazy ****, hopefully you have a good lawyer because that is bull. defiantly record any future conversations with the douches at the towing company, and good luck, keep us updated with the outcome.
Old 09-06-09, 01:36 AM
Ned Vo
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi All,
I'm from Worcester MA. In my city, private towing companies can't tow any car on the public ways UNLESS being AUTHORIZED BY POLICE OFFICERS. Every vehicle that being towed, each one will be reported by Police....regarding the vehicle condition, inventory and on.....!!!! In the last 10+ yrs, I haven't authorized any tow co. to haul away any of our beloved sc430's. Now, you guys now what I do for living

Quick Reply: Towing damage?!?!?Alarm???