SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Longtime Lexus owner looking at used SC please read n help

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-09, 06:52 AM
BigB82
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longtime Lexus owner looking at used SC please read n help

This will be a little nostalgic ...I have had a lexus since I was 16, from the es300, to the is300, to the is350 when it first came out...One thing I can say for sure is the level of comfort, quality, and luxury Lexus provides, NOBODY can touch...and I guess I learned that the hard way...

My lease was up on the is350 last year and there was no other lexus I really wanted since my mom has an RX and has had the ES as well...I ended up getting a deal at bmw and bought a 335i twin turbo...beautiful car, great service but man I guess I learned something about myself....I like luxury over speed....cause man on the bmw the leather is so hard, I love the soft leather lexus has, how the car drives like its floating....granted bmw is amazing at handling and thats what they are known for, at least put some real nice leather lol

Anyhow, I have two years left in my lease and I dont like the car anymore for various reasons, I like the GS but the lease on it is too expensive, so than I figured Im young and single now is the best time to enjoy a convertible. So I started pondering on the porsche boxster and the SC, realizing the porsche is same song different dance, still expensive maintenance, german yada yada...

I see most old people driving the SC, and unfortunately thats most people's perception too lol, how old are you guys? do you think its a young people car? if I pick up an 02 with 80k plus miles is that a long lasting car still with no major issues? Cause all my others have been amazing except the original ES has a tranny issue after like 130k.

Is there any difference between 2002 and 2009 model? If so what is it? When will they do a redesign considering this is the longest standing model lol Is the backseat realistically usable? Regular city driving what kind of miles are you guys getting to the tank? how much you spending on filling the tank? is premium required?

Is the SC comparable to my is350 speed wise considering its 300hp which I didn't realize

give me some feedback, I think you all are getting an idea of what kind of things are on my mind considering what I have said so far...I use to very active on the my.is forums back in the day...it would be nice to get back in the game hehe....

What other performance upgrades are available? I like one thing on the newer cars, which is the ipod integration lol anything like that available?
Old 09-07-09, 08:22 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BigB82
This will be a little nostalgic ...I have had a lexus since I was 16,
Unfortunately, I could not bring myself to read beyond this point.
Old 09-07-09, 08:30 AM
BigB82
Driver School Candidate

haha just some history behind a decision man, im sure others have been somewhat in my position lol sorry dude
Old 09-07-09, 10:42 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

mostly older people drove it early on because it's a $65,000 car. not too many 16 year olds (or even 30 year olds) can go out and drop that kind of cash on a car. but now that you can pick up an 02 for $15,000 - $20,000 that's starting to change.

the styling is a little blah in my opinion if you're driving it purely stock. but with a few relatively standard mods, it's not an old person's car at all - 20" wheels, coilovers and tinted windows. the right wheels are the main thing. it can give it a much more aggressive look.

the biggest change happened in 06. they changed the headlights, taillights, front bumper and transmission. but unless you really know the car, you wouldn't know the difference. people tell me all the time they think my 02 is brand new. i don't think there will even be a major redesign. within a year or two, it will be dropped and eventually replaced with an entirely new model.
Old 09-07-09, 01:24 PM
BigB82
Driver School Candidate

hey thanks man your ride looks real sweet and I totally agree with the right wheels cause I have been checkin out plenty of pics on this thread and damn some are hot like yours and well some like this black one I saw with nasty rims, I would just not bother to look at lol

hows the ride quality compared to an is350? how is it on gas? average miles per gallon in city?premium gas? is the backseat useable? how is trunk space? whats the transmission difference?
Old 09-07-09, 02:45 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gas (use premium though not 100% necessary): ave is 20 with 18ish City and 22ish Hway

backseat: 100% nonfunctional

trunk space (only with roof up): its okay, the 350 probably has more...
Old 09-07-09, 03:21 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

it's much more plush than an IS350. the IS350 has better handling than a stock sc430. but the coilovers improved the ride a lot. i didn't bother with sway bars, but they would improve it even more. the backseat is great for storage. not so good for passengers. if you're out at a bar and have to get a few people home, it'll work. but everyone will be uncomfortable. that's the only times i've used mine for passengers. milage is about 17 city. 22 highway. if you drive conservatively, you can do a little better. i always use premium gas. some people use mid grade or low. but i'm not sweating two or three dollars every time i fill up. trunk space is ok with the top up. not much there with it down. but that's what your backseat is for. they switched from a 5 speed to a 6 speed transmission in 06. i've never driven the 6 speed, but people say it's more responsive. that said, the overall performance is the same. same 0-60 and quarter mile times. as far as performance upgrades go, the standard ones are headers and exhaust. people report modest gains. if you want dramatic gains, you'd probably have to go with a turbo. but that involves rebuilding your engine among other things. it would cost more than the car itself to do it right.

Last edited by Yes; 09-07-09 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-07-09, 03:32 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a four year old and he loves the backseat! He is 44" tall and we have to put the p/s all the way to the front so he can move his legs.

I think the trunk is plenty usable-golf club bag, gym bag, four grocery bags! I had several mazda rx7 convertible before and the SC is spacious compared to it!

I never got less than 20mpg cit/hwy on mine, but I was religious about replacing plugs, k&n filter, fuel injector cleaner, premium gas and shifted manually. One time I got 24 on the highway was my best trip.

I sold my SC a month ago and regret it. I will be getting another. I too was concerned with the "old person" car stigma it has, but jason702 has it right-a few simple upgrades you have already gotten out of that profile! I just had the wheels, but everywhere I went people would ask if the car was new and would compliment me.

I am too looking for a 2002...have looked at many 2002's with higher miles in the 18-20k range. There are a ton out there. The key to buying them is finding out if they have had the 30k, 60k service on them, tires (if you are keeping stock wheels) and fluids, belts, hoses changed. Battery and brakes would be nice at that age too-otherwise the car could nickel and dime you to death once you bought it.

The fun factor and speed/sportiness coupled with the lack of newer technology is the reason why I thought I was going to get rid of the SC for an G37 convertible or a 996 cabriolet. After exhausting efforts finding a Porsche I am back looking for a Lexus again. The G37 has terrible lease rates right now and they are not coming down on price, and there are no used cars out there-so I will wait on this one.

Let me know if I can help you find any, I have been looking 24/7 for about two weeks now!
Old 09-07-09, 03:34 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

I had a 2002 and always wondering about the 2006+ being more sporty and responsive and I have to say the manumatic 6speed feels softer than the c-gate manual shifting on the 2002-2005's, so for me I don't mind buying a 2005 for the bluetooth, add my own 2006+ tail lights and shift the c-gate.

The manumatic six speed on the SC is like the ES, not like the IS. I was disappointed. I knew I was in trouble when I put a post out on CL a while back and no one responded that they liked it and used it. That's a tell-tale sign!
Old 09-07-09, 06:17 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

The IS350 is quicker than the Sc430. At least the one i've ran into. lol
Old 09-07-09, 07:39 PM
Jace_91
Pole Position

I have had four adults in the car before. its kind of tight but possible.
Old 09-07-09, 09:39 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

^were two of them legless...jk ...
Old 09-07-09, 09:39 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

I tried once and my friend had to sit sideways...
Old 09-07-09, 09:52 PM
BigB82
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys....this is very helpful inf....I really like the one guys ride from somewhere in florida that has the NM edition 02 and I want to buy his car but he hasn't gotten back to me yet....um how do you guys deal with people who say oh lexus is an over priced toyota yada yada....i use to believe that to some degree till i bought the is350 and realized that even though es is a camery and gs is an avalon and sc is a solara, they DO put extra stuff to make it a lexus to make it quieter even though people say its all made on the same assumably line...

Its funny when the first IS came out I wanted it bad it was the dream car, than I did end up buying at 02 and loved it,,,and iv always in the back of my mind loved the SC but figured I would never pay that much and now that dream is slowly becoming a reality too...I guess my biggest fear is having an 02 with even less miles like the NM guy with 22k miles, having any major or maintenance issues but I know lexus has yet to fail me, you guys should post up more pics...

Is the leather just as soft as as the newer lexus's? is it made by coach still? I wonder if its perforated leather? it feels so much nicer than the regular for some reason
Old 09-08-09, 03:56 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I never really liked the SC because of the wheels (believe it or not) plus the price, couldn't see spending that much on a toy car (yes a toy car no real trunk, no real rear seat no real purpose other than sun & fun). Take a look at the convertibles around your area, look and see who's driving them (Vettes, SC, SL and the like). It's usually the old farts, I guess trying to get all that sunshine they (us being two of them) can before they go. Never really thought of the SC as a sports car. Don't get me wrong, we are really glad that we did get the SC (04 white/saddle). Wife only wanted a convertible that was a hardtop, so that narrowed the choices quite a bit. Had a Vette didn't want another to low and hard riding, BMW too expensive. We are retired and usually keep the top down most of the time. Stored it last winter. I would have to agree that it's mostly older people, but some of the owners are young and then some at just young at heart and gear heads from way back. Just look at some of the pics in this forum and you know that it's the young people doing some of these things.

Quick Reply: Longtime Lexus owner looking at used SC please read n help