SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

I have to use Run Flats, which are best

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-09, 08:26 PM
Louis48
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have to use Run Flats, which are best

I have read dozens of posts here on the many advantages of using a non run flat tire. I agree that they will ride better and give better road handling. But our 2004 SC430 is my wife's car, I have a 2010 RX (great SUV by the way!). My wife doesn't ever want to be out driving without run flat tires. And as I'm out of town on business at times, I would feel better that she did have them. She never goes more that 50 miles from the Lexus dealer in the SC anyway. The SC has 20,00 miles and the tires need replacement now.

So having said that, which run flat will give the best ride. Handing is not a big issue as my wife never drives over 70 mph and doesn't take corners that fast. We do have light snow here in norther VA, but on those days she just stays home.

Any help on brand and model would be very helpful. BTW, this is my first post here but I've found a lot of good info on these pages, thanks!

Louis
Old 09-14-09, 11:13 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

in your post, you kind of set yourself up for thinking that your wife would be fine NOT going with run flats....50 miles from the dealers, etc etc.

I drove for three and a half years with no spare no run flats and many on club lexus do as well. Lexus has excellent roadside assistance!!!

Having said that not only do you severely compromise road noise and ride quality, you more than double your price. Example: Set of four Dunlop Direzzo tires mounted and balanced for under $800. Set of Dunlop Sport SP Run Flats =$1600.

I would seriously reconsider...but I understand about the safety. My SC was only driven 5k miles in that time and yours is a daily driver.

Look at what the ratings are from end users on the run flats from www.tires.com

Looks like the Dunlop at $350/each are your best rated, plus discount tire gives you lifetime balance/rotate for free and free air check.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tog...&fcb=&sw=false
Old 09-15-09, 01:16 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scdroptop
in your post, you kind of set yourself up for thinking that your wife would be fine NOT going with run flats....50 miles from the dealers, etc etc.

I drove for three and a half years with no spare no run flats and many on club lexus do as well. Lexus has excellent roadside assistance!!!

Having said that not only do you severely compromise road noise and ride quality, you more than double your price. Example: Set of four Dunlop Direzzo tires mounted and balanced for under $800. Set of Dunlop Sport SP Run Flats =$1600.

I would seriously reconsider...but I understand about the safety. My SC was only driven 5k miles in that time and yours is a daily driver.

Looks like the Dunlop at $350/each are your best rated, plus discount tire gives you lifetime balance/rotate for free and free air check.

Don't think you can say it any better than scdroptop has.

BTW, welcome to CL, Louis48.
Old 09-15-09, 05:50 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not get a donut spare like the supra space saver and use normal tires.
Old 09-15-09, 06:09 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

I bought two cans of fix a flat (Yes I know about the TPM Sensors) a small but good quality air pump and took my wife out to the garage. I let the air out of a rear tire, showed her the warning on the dash, showed her how to either use the Fix a Flat or hook up the pump and inflate the tire. I then let the air back out of the tire and told her it was her turn. She had no problem inflating the tire and putting everything away. We went back inside and she felt comfortable about being able to handle a flat if she picked up a nail.

At the same time I showed her the battery booster (From Harbor Freight) for jump starts that is in the garage and explained that it was red on red and black on black. This information was used recently as she went and jumpstarted my daughters car with it when my daughter had left her lights on at the mall.

Don't tell them how to do something, show them and they will understand.
Old 09-15-09, 06:52 AM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Well said norman
Old 09-15-09, 04:47 PM
scdroptop

great idea...can you train my wife too? lol...what is your rate? Do you provide lunch too? Can I drop her off all day? he he
Old 09-15-09, 05:06 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

I put the Pirelli P-Zero M+S Run Flats on and they've been quite good, much better than the previous tires. After about 14kmiles they started being a bit noisy though. They are fairly cheap too from Discount Tires.
Old 09-15-09, 05:55 PM
GTPMAGNA
Driver School Candidate

I have heard that once you use "Fix a Flat", you will need to replace the tire. Is this true?
Old 09-15-09, 08:56 PM
scdroptop

in my experience yes, something about how the run flat hardens to fill the leak/hole and causes the tire to become permanently out of round. I actually kept a tire for a while with run flat fluid in it and it was a wobbly ride!
Old 09-16-09, 03:32 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TooCoolSC
Don't think you can say it any better than scdroptop has.

BTW, welcome to CL, Louis48.
+2 TooCool, roadside service either from the dealer or AAA makes better sense and is much more inexpensive
Old 09-16-09, 05:59 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Almost all of the Fix-A-Flat type products remain liquid. As you drive the centrifugal force will spread them around the tire and normal balance is resumed. Once you get the tire to a repair shop, if you tell them you used Fix-A-Flat they will blow the tire up to about 45 lbs of pressure, remove the tire valve core and the remaining fix a flat will discharge out through the valve stem. They might have to do this twice to get it all out. This isn't a problem if they dismount the tire and put a proper patch on the inner wall instead of a plug through the nail hole. If they are using a patch they just wipe the tire out with a cloth and the tire is back to normal. I have had them wipe the TPM sensor off with denatured Alcohol and have never had a problem with those either. I used to have AAA but twice we waited almost 2 hours in rush hour traffic for their service truck. Fix-A-Flat and an air pump and we are on our way in under 10 minutes.
Old 09-24-09, 01:27 PM
igorxx
Driver

I have gotten three nails in my tires over the years. As soon as the pressure lights came on I stopped and pumped them back up. { I have a portable pump** Rode on to the next tire service shop and got them fixed.
Old 09-25-09, 08:48 PM
Louis48
Driver School Candidate

Smile Thanks for all the help

I want to thank all of you for the replies and help. I might ask my wife if I could train her on the use of a pump and a can of Fix-it compound. But if not, the two tire recommendations will help me pick a new set of tires. I really like this Forum, and thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Louis
Old 09-26-09, 06:39 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop

I had an '02 and an '03SC the first thing I did on both was get rid of the Run Flats and put on Dunlop Direeza's. She became a totally different car, much more enjoyable to drive. My wife once took a nail in PA and the tire dealer was the problem not the tire. She didn't have a flat but he refused to plug the hole because it was a performance tire. other than that never had a problem. Also kept a can of flat-fix in the trunk. AAA works real well with assistance

We both considered the Run flats dangerous because because on the road they picked up on any and every rut they found and wanted to take off on their own.

The last blow out I had was on my ES300. I had changed wheels and had not yet gotten a spare. We were in the middle of nowhere in Limerock,CT and it worked out fine (on July 4th). We were towed to a local shop near the track. they picked up a tire and we were back on our way in couple of hours. I'm not sure how the Run Flats work with a blow out.

My new Boxster also has no Run Flats and no spare. Porsche supplied the flat-fix as well as a compresor.

Quick Reply: I have to use Run Flats, which are best