SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2005 SC430 or 2004 Porsche 911 (996) C2 Carrera Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-09, 12:12 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm not so sure if the corvette is as fast as they say it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb4xJRMrAwA
Old 03-15-10, 06:13 PM
SCM3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife owns an SC and I own a CaymanS. Both great cars in very different ways.
Old 03-15-10, 06:45 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay, I hope I am not violating a rule of the board. My pop, a WWII vet had a gig after the war of making sure the machine plants in Germany could not be up and running for weapons again.

He told me about the war crime trial of Sr. Porsche in France for building machines to turns Jews, Gypsys, and other unfortunate targets of the ***** into compost. Yes the designer of some of the most famous cars decided this project was worth his time and skills. He also designed tanks, and various weapons. True there are the photos of the Mercedes Benz logo on gas chambers, and the BMW symbol that remains today is from the prop planes they made during the war, but Porsche was different. He put his design talents to work by choice.

For those interested Toyoda was nationalized for the war effort, and made mostly trucks and a few tanks.

Big difference, Porsche Sr designed instruments of genocide because he wanted to. So out of respect I don't buy Porsche products. I could not stand to own a car, with a legacy to machines dreamed up by this man.
Old 03-15-10, 07:09 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Porsche stuff

SC, I have been here a million times in my life...have had a European 912, AND A 914 2-LITER..AND LOOKED AT A VERY, VERY, NICE '87 911 BEFORE I BOUGHT MY SC. First of all, the A/C is not adequate in the 911, unless you spend about $2,000 to upgrade..no ONE told you this...12 quart oil changes are over $100...and bend over for anything it needs..I mean, really bend over and take a good look at the booty!! I will always love the 911, but the ownership costs and insurance, etc. generally gets you down sooner than later. I am a very young 60 (or so I am told)..but if you want to try it...go ahead....however, forget the quiet interior of your SC, the gadgets, the inexpensive maintenance, the reliability, the comfort, and the relatively cheap registration and insurance costs...anyway, just my opinion for what it's worth. Would I trade my '02 for an 02'911...NO WAY. Bob
Old 03-16-10, 02:32 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
Okay, I hope I am not violating a rule of the board. My pop, a WWII vet had a gig after the war of making sure the machine plants in Germany could not be up and running for weapons again.

He told me about the war crime trial of Sr. Porsche in France for building machines to turns Jews, Gypsys, and other unfortunate targets of the ***** into compost. Yes the designer of some of the most famous cars decided this project was worth his time and skills. He also designed tanks, and various weapons. True there are the photos of the Mercedes Benz logo on gas chambers, and the BMW symbol that remains today is from the prop planes they made during the war, but Porsche was different. He put his design talents to work by choice.

For those interested Toyoda was nationalized for the war effort, and made mostly trucks and a few tanks.

Big difference, Porsche Sr designed instruments of genocide because he wanted to. So out of respect I don't buy Porsche products. I could not stand to own a car, with a legacy to machines dreamed up by this man.
Here's a link you can read if you care to: http://www.deathcamps.org/gas_chambe...ers_intro.html
You find no association with Porsche and the gas chambers here, or anywhere else for that matter. That's simply not true. As all industrial companies in the world did in that time, their efforts were turned towards war products. That's when Porsche designed the "bug" and other vehicles, including tanks. Benz was Hitler's ride of choice, though. Perhaps you should add that to your "do not drive" list. Porsche as an actual car company wasn't founded until 1950 as an fyi.

But using your reasoning, I shouldn't buy anything Mitsubishi either, since they built the Zero.

And more directly pertinent; I shouldn't buy anything U.S. made either, since far more recently than WWII, the State you live in employs gas chambers....
Old 03-16-10, 03:36 PM
stevelaw
Driver

Default SC430 vs 911

I know its not an older version, but last October I got rid of my 2002 SC430 and bought a 2009 911s Cabriolet. Here is my recent post re my comparison:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5225885-post26.html

All I can say is "apples vs, oranges." I have been pleasantly surprised by the ride of the new car, but miss a little of the "luxury." All in all, it’s a personal decision.
Old 03-16-10, 05:00 PM
scrdstr
Rookie

I looked a at 05 boxster test drove it, the clutch almost wore my leg out and all that traffic, nowhere to get it over 40, and then i thought about maintenance the cost of repair for these cars is just so high even if you can do the work yourself, which i could, the parts are just as crazy expensive. Even after all the negative stuff I thought about Porches, I still think; wow they are beautiful and I would love to own a 911 conv just for special drives not a steady diet though. That car looks pretty darn good scdroptop.
Old 03-16-10, 07:12 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PHXSC
Porsche as an actual car company wasn't founded until 1950 as an fyi
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and others may disagree about what did, and did not happen during WWII, but it is common knowledge Porsche as a manufacturer of machines was founded in 1930 by an sworn member of the SS. (Not a soldier)

I encourage anyone interested to start with the Wiki and the NYTIMES article below, and if you are interested read on. It is always best to educate yourself before you educate others. Simply put, Porsche did more than support the war effort, and to carry his name on my key ring is bad karma. If you have true interest PM me and I will translate an article for you, that depicts his machines that are not fit for a public forum.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/03/28/bu...l?pagewanted=2

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 03-16-10 at 07:18 PM.