SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Trunk Leak Has Returned-Need Advise!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-09, 12:38 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trunk Leak Has Returned-Need Advise!!

Have posted on this before and now am really frustrated - could use advise or other experiences that might help. Have a 2004 PB, not garage kept - bought abt 2 yrs. ago Certified pre-owned. Would hate to give it up since I love the car, but if can't solve trunk leak not sure what to do!!

Just had a big rain in the DC area and went out this morning and trunk had leaked - looks like from both sides up near top of trunk sides and rolled down - definitely rolling down from somewhere and settled near DVD slot which slopes down. Not sitting water but damp.

A bit of history - last year noticed trunk leak on driver's side only. Took it several times to Lexus of Rockville, MD and they couldn't duplicate leak but the shop forman, Larry S. at Rockville was great and they finally replaced all weatherstripping around trunk and that seemed to fix problem. So haven't checked for leaks until about 2 weeks ago when I noticed it.

So, have a call in to Larry at Lexus of Rockville and plan to take it in. But again I am wondering if anyone else has had these problems with their SC? I realize most might be garage kept so maybe not noticed but now I am not so sure it is the weather stripping and wondering if it could be coming in another way. Back seat and around window inside seems dry.

Any ideas?? Appreciate any help or ideas,

Rustito
Old 09-27-09, 01:14 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

BTW - My comment about most SCs not being garage kept was that perhaps my original weatherstipping had worn in a way garage kept car doesn't, however it was replaced last year. Or - that people are not experiencing this problem because during rain car is either being driven or in garage. Still would leak but maybe not noticed? I for one don't open the trunk that often so people might not notice. But I just can't believe I am the only one who has had trunk leak problems (other than several others who have responded on this forum) - or do I have the rare car that has this problem?

What was also strange was that last year when I first noticed the leak the Lexus dealer couldn't replicate the leak taking it through the carwash etc. - and I couldn't either using a hose around trunk seams.

So don't wish this problem on any SC owner, but am one of the few with this problem?? For a car of this quality this should not be happening!!

Rustito
Old 09-27-09, 05:28 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

While the cars may be garage kept, when the cars are out, they would be parked in a parking lot and exposed to the weather, including rain. Mine's an '02 and doesn't leak. However, your point about being garage kept is a valid one since that will limit the sun exposure that it will receive, especially here in Texas.

With regards to your leak, you might check on several things.
<> Check on the alignment of your trunk when it is closed. That may need to be adjusted.
<> Look for other areas of incroachment. If spraying around the seals doesn't allow water in, then it is likely coming in a different location. Check your antenna seal, rear lights and gas filler door, for instance. Spray in other areas to see if water is coming in.
<> Was it raining hard when it leaked? If so, use a hose end sprayer to concentrate the spray and increase the force.
<> Look for water trails to help narrow down where the leak is coming from. The leak won't be coming from lower than where it shows up. That should help narrow down where the breach in the water seal is.

Good luck and I hope that helps,
Harold
Old 09-27-09, 07:04 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

Harold - Appreciate suggestions. The water trails seems to be coming from both upper sides of trunk. Can see trickle line and then water soaked near lowest point near DVD slot - o rfrom sides.

Back when this first happened last year they checked antenna and gas tank fill opening seals. I sprayed water right into the seams also but couldn't get it to leak. So not sure if this is now another source of leak or old problem come back. Just strange that it seemed fixed last year and now leaking again. My thought is maybe not really fixed before and I didn't keep inspecting after it seemed fixed (checked a couple of times after rains and it no more leak). Or if it involves another issue also.

I will make sure they check trunk alignment. Guess my discouragement is that last year it actually did seem fixed with new seal around trunk but now it is back. So was it never really fixed totally or is the old problem back again or what. Don't want to give up on the car but I also know how this type of thing can be if you can't find source of leak.

Rustito
Old 09-28-09, 06:00 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
While the cars may be garage kept, when the cars are out, they would be parked in a parking lot and exposed to the weather, including rain. Mine's an '02 and doesn't leak. However, your point about being garage kept is a valid one since that will limit the sun exposure that it will receive, especially here in Texas.

With regards to your leak, you might check on several things.
<> Check on the alignment of your trunk when it is closed. That may need to be adjusted.
<> Look for other areas of incroachment. If spraying around the seals doesn't allow water in, then it is likely coming in a different location. Check your antenna seal, rear lights and gas filler door, for instance. Spray in other areas to see if water is coming in.
<> Was it raining hard when it leaked? If so, use a hose end sprayer to concentrate the spray and increase the force.
<> Look for water trails to help narrow down where the leak is coming from. The leak won't be coming from lower than where it shows up. That should help narrow down where the breach in the water seal is.

Good luck and I hope that helps,
Harold
+1 Harold, great suggestions, I'm wondering if it leaks when the car is parked only on a downslope? Or, it's leaking however it's parked ?? Good Luck
Old 09-28-09, 06:14 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

Car leaks when parked basically level in my driveway - maybe a very slight downward slope so the back of the car is only very slightly lower.

So took it into dealer today and I had retracted the trunk pull (screen) for topdown so I could show bottom of trunk to shop foreman. Then when I pulled the screen back out it had moisture on it that it had collected from being retracted for a few minutes!! We noticed that the back seam of the trunk - closest to back window but on floor of trunk was also wet and water had trickled back and settled near DVD opening in trunk. So something is moist behind the trunk area.

So tomorrow leak expert is coming over to look it over. But what was good is that the shop foreman was there to see where it was damp and discuss with me so he can describe to leak expert since it might be dry by tomorrow.

Will let people know what happens. Any ideas still welcome!!

Rustito
Old 09-28-09, 07:31 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

There are a couple of other areas that may be worth checking out. You said that the water trace was in the front of the trunk (the side nearest to the front of the car).
<> It is possible that there is a leak under the back window seal where it sits down after putting the top back up. This sounds like the most likely area.
<> Then I just noticed that there are a couple of trays just under the trunk lid on the right and left front corners of the trunk. Each one has a drain hole in it to allow water that comes in over the seal to drain out away from the trunk. Maybe those are clogged or have a leak. This would come into play mainly if you had just shut the trunk or top when it was raining or just after a rain (or car wash) unless the trunk seal was bad near those corners.

Let us know what the "expert" finds. (I have found that sometimes there are better experts on this forum than in the service bays.) Good luck.
Old 09-28-09, 07:52 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

I am also thinking that there might be something under back window seal esp. after putting top back up. I very rarely open my trunk from the back - but every nice day I have top down to drive home from work - so usually trunk is closed after top is put up - so backwards closure closest to rear window. I am thinking something might not be closing properly or the seal around back window.

I know exactly those plastic little trays under trunk lid with small drain hole and when I open trunk if it is wet then water drips into those trays. Last year when I had the problem the first time they cleared out these drainage areas. But last year the leak was isolated to one area on drivers side back corner of trunk. But the interesting part was we couldn't replicate the leak with hoses - so suddenly this time I wondered if we couldn't replicate because we were closing the trunk by hand vs. closing by putting top down and up - trunk top seats differently when closing each way. But it did leak this time after I specifically closed the trunk myself.

Agree that people on this forum are very knowledgable and so good at figuring out all the details about these cars - I have learned so much and value the forum when I need help or advise or just like to share the fun stuff about owning and driving an SC.

But as you can see, not too many on the forum have had any experience with trunk leaks - not too many replies to this. But brainstorming like you are doing might help come up with an idea which might not the obvious but might be a link to resolving this. So any ideas even if they sound minor or strange are welcome. There is some logic involved and some knowledge about the structure of the car and trunk mechanism.

The shop foreman at the Rockville dealer is really very good and quite knowledgable - he has a good reputation on this forum so I trust him to work with the leak guy and maybe a solution!!
Rustito
Old 09-29-09, 01:23 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

It was from suggestions on this forum that I was able to give the dealer and a separate mechanic (Davenport) ideas as to how to cure the brake clunk noise. (The dealer just said that the noise was normal. Gee thanks.)
Old 09-29-09, 05:35 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
It was from suggestions on this forum that I was able to give the dealer and a separate mechanic (Davenport) ideas as to how to cure the brake clunk noise. (The dealer just said that the noise was normal. Gee thanks.)
+1 Harold, this forum is awesome for gaining knowledge of specific problems. Dealers should ensure their certified techs read our threads !
Old 09-29-09, 05:47 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

OK - Dealer leak found!!! It was the seam/seal at the back of the trunk - it is still good but just needed to be fixed more securely - not sure how they did this nor why it occurred - hope to talk to shop foreman to get answers to this. It could be from last years fix that either was not properly installed so after awhile it pulled away or something. I realize this should not happen or many would be replacing or fixing these seals - and maybe people do. However, mine was just fixed last year so unusual why another problem so soon unless it was not quite right to begin with. Although it was fine for about a year. But this car just should not be having this type of problem. One thing - last year they never really isolated the leak but just replaced all seals and that fixed it. This time they actually isolated the leak.

They also told me to keep seals clear of debris - I did have lots of gunk and debris along the seams just from tree polin etc. Although last year when they totally cleaned debris it still didn't fix the leak!!

So although they said my extended warrenty doesn't cover this, they didn't charge me - and this is a good thing or I might have pursued this because I am not so sure it still didn't have something with last years problem and fix.

So now I wait for rain and see. I think I will now be obsessed looking in trunk to be sure leak doesn't come back!!

Rustito
Old 09-29-10, 04:42 AM
lexxlooger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak

Originally Posted by Rustito
OK - Dealer leak found!!! It was the seam/seal at the back of the trunk - it is still good but just needed to be fixed more securely - not sure how they did this nor why it occurred - hope to talk to shop foreman to get answers to this. It could be from last years fix that either was not properly installed so after awhile it pulled away or something. I realize this should not happen or many would be replacing or fixing these seals - and maybe people do. However, mine was just fixed last year so unusual why another problem so soon unless it was not quite right to begin with. Although it was fine for about a year. But this car just should not be having this type of problem. One thing - last year they never really isolated the leak but just replaced all seals and that fixed it. This time they actually isolated the leak.

They also told me to keep seals clear of debris - I did have lots of gunk and debris along the seams just from tree polin etc. Although last year when they totally cleaned debris it still didn't fix the leak!!

So although they said my extended warrenty doesn't cover this, they didn't charge me - and this is a good thing or I might have pursued this because I am not so sure it still didn't have something with last years problem and fix.

So now I wait for rain and see. I think I will now be obsessed looking in trunk to be sure leak doesn't come back!!

Rustito
Hey buddy i have just come across the same problem after the hard rain on monday, are u still havn the same problem and u said it was the seam/seal..do u need to replace them after a certain time or do u need to make sure they r clear from debris? Oh yeah is Larry S. still at Rockville if so would u have his number i thnk Rocvll is about 30min from Baltimore...THANKS
Old 09-29-10, 06:01 AM
Rustito
Pole Position

Hi - My leak problem was finally fixed, however, if your SC is not garage kept the seals around roof and trunk seams might dry out and become brittle due to sun and weather. The Lexus forman, Larry S. said that because the car is exposed the seals might begin to break down again. It has been about a year and all seems good. I am currently getting a garage put on my house.

Lexus forman told me this is not uncommon with these cars. But on this forum, for example, not many people jumped in to say they had same problem. My thoughts are that most SCs are garage kept or kept under a car cover during the winter so we don't hear from more people about this type of problem.

If you live in Baltimore there might be a closer Lexus dealer service center but if you want to take yours to Rockville Lexus just call main number and ask for Larry. Rockville is within one hour of Baltimore without traffic. Hope this helps.
Old 10-02-10, 09:08 PM
shot
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when we first got my wifes sc experienced same problem. took it to the dealer. there are 2 weep holes located near each side of the trunk hinges. sometimes they fill up w small leaves. water has nowhere to drain so then it stays in the trunk. after the dealer fixed this haven't had a problem in 3 years. now I check the weep holes 1x or 2x a year.
Old 10-03-10, 08:14 AM
m3nv
Pole Position

I would see if they could adjust the trunk to sit a little lower so the weather stripping seals tighter than it is. That might help seal any area that is allowing the water to leak.

Quick Reply: Trunk Leak Has Returned-Need Advise!!