Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing front sidemarker bulb - 2002 430

Anyone have any experience or photos on how to replace
these yellow side marker light bulbs? I hate taking this to
the dealer to replace a bulb!

The bulb that is out is on the front.

Note: I searched all the past posts on this site and i never found anything
that specifically addressed this problem.
Old 09-29-09, 02:14 PM
dh784123
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont have any photos, but all you have to do is turn your steering wheel to the left or right (depending on which side you want to change) pull aside the black wheel well cover and put your hand in and you can see / feel twist the socket and pull out and you can swap the bulbs. if you really need photos, i can have em up by thursday
Old 09-29-09, 02:22 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You have to loosen about 2or3 bolts on the fender/splash guard to gain access as this first picture shows in this link for front headlight removal.

http://web.ace.net.au/soarer/removal1.html
Old 09-29-09, 04:23 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

dh: I would greatly appreciate photos if you can later this week...thank you in advance
Old 09-29-09, 04:24 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

does the wheel well cover have to be removed for the fog lights as well?
Old 09-29-09, 04:36 PM
dh784123
Driver

fog light swap on the sc430 is a pain the ***. i still havent come around to doing mine just because of what everyone says about it being tough.

to answer your question, yea u do need to remove the wheel well cover to access the fog lights, but theyre nearly impossible to see.
some people claim that they can feel with their fingers or use a special type of mirror to help them, but im not really sure cuz i havent tried. ive even heard of some people removing their hole bumper because they say its easier to access it that way.
Old 09-29-09, 05:23 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

^jeez, I don't know if the hassle is worth it...I was just going to through in some yellow bulbs to contrast with the xenons...kind of like the IS300...

Right now I find the fog lamps useless in utility I feel like they barely make a difference when turned on, on my IS300 the difference was very noticeable...
Old 09-29-09, 05:41 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dh784123
fog light swap on the sc430 is a pain the ***. i still havent come around to doing mine just because of what everyone says about it being tough.

to answer your question, yea u do need to remove the wheel well cover to access the fog lights, but theyre nearly impossible to see.
some people claim that they can feel with their fingers or use a special type of mirror to help them, but im not really sure cuz i havent tried. ive even heard of some people removing their hole bumper because they say its easier to access it that way.
+1 dh, the engineers really want to send you to the stealership for the fog light swap
Old 09-29-09, 08:00 PM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Gang-I ran into this as well, and I have to agree it's not worth the PITA to DIY, especially if you have never done this. There are not a lot of CL SC430's that have done these mods, BUT I HAVE AN IDEA:

Go to the dealer to get your tires rotated or brake rotors turned (or whatever "regular" maint you have to do) and they will only charge you 1/2 hour of labor to do as many bulbs as they can in that time, especially if they have your car up on the lift and tires off. I believe I had my brake rotors turned and got them to do six bulbs that I either would have had to pull the wheel well covers or drop the bumper to get at...I think the actual labor cost was $60. Considering the time it would take to DIY, I thought it was WELL worth it!!! IMHO, of course.
The following users liked this post:
DJHydrogen (02-18-20)
Old 09-30-09, 08:26 AM
mhoepfin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, I'm still trying to figure out how to change a REAR side marker bulb.

Anyone done this that could provide somewhat detailed instructions? Is it also through the wheel well?
DJHydrogen (02-18-20)
Old 08-19-11, 11:58 AM
davidskelm
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone out thre know how to replace the rear side maker bulbs on a 2004 SC430? It's crazy!
DJHydrogen (02-18-20)
Old 08-19-11, 12:16 PM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

To get to the rear sidemakers you must remove the garnish (carpeted panel) in the trunk or drop the bumper cover. This PDF should help you out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
rear bumper.pdf (132.1 KB, 938 views)

Last edited by VVTiBob; 08-19-11 at 12:24 PM.
DJHydrogen (02-18-20)
Old 08-19-11, 07:02 PM
mdpuff
Driver

Unfortunately pulling the trunk liner out will gain you nothing, the lights are mounted in the plastic rear bumper cover not the body it's self. I found this out when I stripped the trunk liner to pull the rear struts and all there is in there is the wiring harness going through a rubber grommet in the sheet metal to the side marker light. When I changed the rear bulb I did it when the rear wheel was off and like the front there is a plastic wheel well liner that has to be unbolted and pulled back to gain access. Things are very tight and I literally had to pull out on the bumper to get my fat hands in there to pull the bulb but it can be done! Hope this is of some help? Good luck!
DJHydrogen (02-18-20)
Old 08-22-11, 07:28 AM
davidskelm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mdpuff
Unfortunately pulling the trunk liner out will gain you nothing, the lights are mounted in the plastic rear bumper cover not the body it's self. I found this out when I stripped the trunk liner to pull the rear struts and all there is in there is the wiring harness going through a rubber grommet in the sheet metal to the side marker light. When I changed the rear bulb I did it when the rear wheel was off and like the front there is a plastic wheel well liner that has to be unbolted and pulled back to gain access. Things are very tight and I literally had to pull out on the bumper to get my fat hands in there to pull the bulb but it can be done! Hope this is of some help? Good luck!
Tire has to come off? bummer, thanks guys
Old 08-24-11, 07:42 AM
edmondt
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did this myself, as well as replacing the Fog Lights, its not that hard, just take about 2 hours because its my first time and I wanted to be careful...

It is much easier removing the bumper, because you do not have to take out the tires, there is about 8 - 10 screws...

Check my post here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ml#post6632064
DJHydrogen (02-18-20)

Quick Reply: Replacing front sidemarker bulb - 2002 430