SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

DOES ANYONE HAVE an SC430 with a turbo or supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-09, 12:38 PM
langsdale
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve and the gang. all good ideas. and YES, if you plan on running about 7-8 psi you need stronger rods and pistons. they will bend and it wont go well. i hear anything over 400 hp on this engine and your F'ed. i plan on replacing the internals, porting, polishing, etc. i need to turbo it, but then what about a manual tranny? anyone do that yet? or should i start a new thread?
thanks
joey
Old 10-07-09, 01:01 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by langsdale
Steve and the gang. all good ideas. and YES, if you plan on running about 7-8 psi you need stronger rods and pistons. they will bend and it wont go well. i hear anything over 400 hp on this engine and your F'ed. i plan on replacing the internals, porting, polishing, etc. i need to turbo it, but then what about a manual tranny? anyone do that yet? or should i start a new thread?
thanks
joey
i'd talk to this guy if i were you...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ming-soon.html

if i remember right, he's using a 350z/g35 transmission.
Old 10-07-09, 01:32 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks
joey
If you'll be running a standalone ECU, swapping the tranny shouldn't be a problem. I don't know about the Nissan tranny, but we have several Toyota trannies available. You can use the Getrag 6 speed tranny from the Supra TT 93-98. It's 1 of the strongest manual tranny that I know of that can handle 1000 hp without being rebuilt. It's sold for about $3K used and $6K new. The second tranny is the R154 from the previous Supra turbo. It can handle around 500 rwhp on a Supra, but it may handle around 400 rwhp on the V8 due to the monster torque of the V8. It's sold for around $500. You'll need a custom adapter for the bellhousing with either tranny.

The easiest option is to rebuild your auto stock tranny with hi-performance parts.
Old 10-07-09, 01:44 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/Manual_...ersion-311.asp
Old 10-07-09, 05:12 PM
langsdale
Pole Position

all good info guys. but has anyone DONE IT. i understand adapters are available for the supra guys, i used to be one. but has anyone actually installed all this on an SC
im talking cutting the floor
adding pedals
adding the master cylinder
etc.
but your info is all informative. than you. makes me wished i saved my old supra tranny.
Old 10-07-09, 05:23 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep the white TT on Lextreme was done with a manual. He was a member here but that car has long been returned to stock and sold. If you do a search you can PM him.
Old 10-07-09, 10:18 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know of anyone that did it, except for the one that aquanuke has mentioned. But I really don't think it's impossible. The mechanical and controlling are the same. If you don't want the trouble to fabricate things like that, rebuilding the auto tranny will help you sleep at night better.
Old 10-08-09, 10:05 AM
langsdale
Pole Position

ok, so does anyone know where i can get a cheap used tranny, pedals, etc? it looks like i can get the adaption plate.
Old 10-15-09, 06:08 PM
sc430guy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right now I'm exchanging emails with a local performance shop, discussing options for turbo / supercharging my 06 sc430.

Assuming the car does 0-60 in just under 6 seconds with 288 hp, I want to get it to around 4 seconds 0-60.

1.5 x 288 = 432

So I wanna get about 432 hp out of the engine before exhaust (I think). Then from there I will be getting stronger forged pistons + rods, larger wheels/tires, s n s headers, blitz exhaust, dragon torque converter, iridium tipped spark plugs, an air filter upgrade, and a performance chip.

I think by the end of the day it might cost 20k plus labour

hmm
Old 10-15-09, 07:37 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sc430guy

So I wanna get about 432 hp out of the engine before exhaust (I think). Then from there I will be getting stronger forged pistons + rods, larger wheels/tires, s n s headers, blitz exhaust, dragon torque converter, iridium tipped spark plugs, an air filter upgrade, and a performance chip.

hmm
Last time I did spark plugs on my Sc430, it has iridium tipped plugs stock.
Old 10-15-09, 10:28 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sc430guy
Right now I'm exchanging emails with a local performance shop, discussing options for turbo / supercharging my 06 sc430.

Assuming the car does 0-60 in just under 6 seconds with 288 hp, I want to get it to around 4 seconds 0-60.

1.5 x 288 = 432

I think by the end of the day it might cost 20k plus labour

hmm
If you're using flywheel hp, then 432 hp may not get you in 4 seconds for 0-60. You'll need around 500 flywheel hp with a high stall torque converter to achieve that time. The SC430 is a heavy car with a smooth/slow tranny so it'll need a lot of hp to move. A high stall torque converter will reduce the time respectively.

The car factories always tend to advertise the reduced time number in accelleration, but very unusual for any real world driver that can do it. The other factor is the factories test on the brand new cars with professional drivers. Assuming you practive launching the car a lot, but the car may not operate at its peak performance line new.

I'd think the stock engine can handle 430 bhp fine with good tuning and a proper fuel system.
Old 10-16-09, 10:36 AM
langsdale
Pole Position

so does anyone have detailed instructions or pics of someone converting and automatic to a manual? even on another model? supra perhaps?
anything detailed would help this build.

if i go with the older generation supra tranny, it will need "reinforced".
what does "reinforced" mean to you?
steve? suggestions?
thanks
joe
Old 10-16-09, 04:35 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

so does anyone have detailed instructions or pics of someone converting and automatic to a manual? even on another model? supra perhaps?
anything detailed would help this build.

if i go with the older generation supra tranny, it will need "reinforced".
what does "reinforced" mean to you?
steve? suggestions?
thanks
joe
There're Blizzy that converted the SC4 auto to manual R154, Redphoenix converted the SC4 to manual W58, ScottRunot converted supercharged SC4 to Getrag 6 speed, and I think there're several others that are in the process of converting such as DriftSC400..etc. Mostly they converted the SC400, but not SC430. I think there's a project going on with the SC430 but to put the Tundra 5.7L in it with the 350Z manual tranny. It's somewhere in the SC430 section.

The conversion concept is pretty much the same between SC400 or SC430. You may search in the SC300/SC400 and you'll see some of them or type in R154..etc in the search box.

I think Supraforums.com has a lot of conversions. I almost converted my turbocharged SC400 to a manual, but then decided to rebuild the stock auto.

There're several tranny companies that have the full hi-performance overhaul kits for the above trannies that can handle a lot of more whp and wtq than stock trannies. That's what reinforcement is. To make them not to break down. LOL.

Last edited by stevechumo; 10-16-09 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-13-10, 10:03 PM
Elite Autosport
Former Sponsor

So did this project ever happen? We would be willing to tackle it!
Old 01-14-10, 05:48 AM
langsdale
Pole Position

we are working on it right now. the vehicle is done in paint in about a week, off to the stereo instal for a month, then autorama in february, then performance upgrades.
i have 2 potential turbo sponsors on board as well as a perfromance shop excited about getting into it. hit me up privatly if you have info or support!
thanks!

Quick Reply: DOES ANYONE HAVE an SC430 with a turbo or supercharger?