SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

DOES ANYONE HAVE an SC430 with a turbo or supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-10, 11:50 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just curious. I have put nitrous in 3 of my last cars. We already hit 60 in the 5's, you want to hit 60 in the 4's. Instead of changing out half the mechanicals, why not just install the juice, which requires very few mods. I had a nitrous kit on an 07 RAV 4 and got the 0-60 from 6.3 to around 5.2 for $500 bucks. My Subaru SVX went from 8.4 to 7 seconds flat. How often do you really punch it that way. The best thing about Nitrous is when you don't use it, no other parts of the car get stressed. The only reason I won't do this to my SC, is a car in the 5's is quick enough, and the warranty. The new crop of cars, including the M's the V's the AMG's and the supercars will toast you regardless as they are down in the 3's. My thoughts now is to pick up a Supra TT for race car joy. You can get them on ebay now for around 20K.

Does anyone out there think nitrous could be installed in a way, that I could remove it if it has to go into Lexus. I tried that with my RAV, but the extra plumbing made it too obvious.
Old 01-17-10, 06:44 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by langsdale
we are working on it right now. the vehicle is done in paint in about a week, off to the stereo instal for a month, then autorama in february, then performance upgrades.
i have 2 potential turbo sponsors on board as well as a perfromance shop excited about getting into it. hit me up privatly if you have info or support!
thanks!
You may need a twin turbo system because the front of the engine is short and may not fit a big single turbo. Rear mounted turbo is another option.
Old 01-17-10, 06:50 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve's right, the SC430 has a short amount of real estate from engine to fans. Big singles are out of the question.
Old 01-17-10, 07:37 PM
langsdale
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we actually already ripped out the battery, airboxes, etc to see what room we do have. actuallt there is a way to single or twin the passenger side like the supra with them both on top in that gap, but you wouldnt use supra sized turbos. a t77 or t88 would never ever fit, but to 35 trim or 40 trim turbos could work

as for rear mounting like exhaust mounting? there is a spot where the 2 exhaust manifolds meet BEFORE the large catalytic converter is that would fit a descent sized turbo. but remember, then you need to plum tubes to go BACK to the engine, and that is where is become cramped. also remember, exhaust mounted turbos dont produce very much power, so its kinda of a last resort. but trust me, i thought about it to when we put it on the lift.

speaking of which, i am cutting out the exhaust because there is a LOT of wasted power in there. do you know we have 3 catalytic converters??? three. t-h-r-ee 3? 3 o2 sensors? im putting straight pipes back with 2 muffler cans and 2 sidemount exhausts on a switch, if i can find the space...
but 3? really?
Old 01-18-10, 06:38 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,301 Likes on 1,402 Posts

sks, c0wboy, IS_250, exvelocity: I've removed a bunch of posts similar to what caused another recent thread to be closed. Please exit this thread immediately.

Let me make this perfectly clear.... If that drama continues to be dragged out on our forum in the future (including responding to posts of others), you will be permanently banned. Keep it off of CL.

SC430 guys, let's get this thread back on topic please.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-19-10 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-19-10, 01:58 PM
langsdale
Pole Position

ok guys, next question:
single or twin? i kinda like the single look from the modified supras.
ideas?
Old 01-19-10, 11:25 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

ok guys, next question:
single or twin? i kinda like the single look from the modified supras.
ideas?
Single is more simple to build for less piping, but is hard to find 1 big space for it. Twin is harder to build, but you can squeeze each small turbo on each side.
Old 01-20-10, 05:47 AM
langsdale
Pole Position

I've/We've tossed around both and the idea of 2 smaller turbos on each side makes sense, but a single in the passenger front where the airbox is seems reasonable too. less plumbing, and less moving parts to maintain. i did some initial research and is seems we can get very similar HP either direction. im simply at this point considering cost vs. efficiency.
my only thought is something like the supra. twin turbos we the best (i saw a 3 turbo setup once and WOW), but a lot opted for the single set up for that BIG HP number on the dyno, but it was completely unusable power, spooling up very late and and not really pushing the car. plus with this being and automatic (for the time being), a big single is a complete waste of time and money, so the suggestion is a 67 series turbo.
anyone have additional suggestions? the supra makes me want twins, obviously set up very differently, but small and fast spooling. but i think a single might have similar response and power.
ive decided we are 100% DEFINATLY TURBOing this project car in the next 2-3 months, and when the dust settles, i have all of you to thank for your input.
Old 01-20-10, 08:18 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

anyone know how this guy did his turbos? might be a good place to start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC3t3PcNspo
Old 01-20-10, 09:01 AM
langsdale
Pole Position

he did it himself i think, and i heard be blew up the car.
that might be inaccurate.
Old 01-20-10, 09:32 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

that wouldn't surprise me. but i meant the placement and type of turbos. he could have got that right. and not rebuilt the engine to handle it.
Old 01-20-10, 10:38 AM
langsdale
Pole Position

he did rebuild the engine. and the company who did the work's website doesnt exist anymore? no website at all? they might have gone out of business? but looking at the placement, it looks like things like the A/C etc were removed.
Old 01-20-10, 10:49 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

I've/We've tossed around both and the idea of 2 smaller turbos on each side makes sense, but a single in the passenger front where the airbox is seems reasonable too. less plumbing, and less moving parts to maintain. i did some initial research and is seems we can get very similar HP either direction. im simply at this point considering cost vs. efficiency.
my only thought is something like the supra. twin turbos we the best (i saw a 3 turbo setup once and WOW), but a lot opted for the single set up for that BIG HP number on the dyno, but it was completely unusable power, spooling up very late and and not really pushing the car. plus with this being and automatic (for the time being), a big single is a complete waste of time and money, so the suggestion is a 67 series turbo.
anyone have additional suggestions? the supra makes me want twins, obviously set up very differently, but small and fast spooling. but i think a single might have similar response and power.
ive decided we are 100% DEFINATLY TURBOing this project car in the next 2-3 months, and when the dust settles, i have all of you to thank for your input.
I'm running a T67-1 on the 4.0L and there's no lag whatsoever. You have 4.3L and it'll kick in even quicker. You strongly believe you can use T70 with no lag. But the key is piping size. The main reason the Supra has lag is because it has small displacement and the owners just love to throw a big turbo on it.
Old 01-20-10, 01:55 PM
langsdale
Pole Position

looking for 500+ hp on only 6-8 lbs of boost. the engine cant take a ton of boost without shredding until we upgrade certain key parts. same with the tranny. not sure if a 67 will acheive that, but again, more thought than effort at this point.
Old 01-20-10, 10:08 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe with bhp, but not rwhp. The disadvantage of this engine is its skinny rods. But I'm positive it can take 10 lbs with a good ECU and good tuning. A T67 is capable of 600 bhp. Just for reference, this picture below is created by Lextreme and it has most Toyota rods.
Attached Thumbnails DOES ANYONE HAVE an SC430 with a turbo or supercharger?-lexus-toyota-rods.jpg  

Last edited by stevechumo; 01-20-10 at 10:11 PM.

Quick Reply: DOES ANYONE HAVE an SC430 with a turbo or supercharger?