SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)
View Poll Results: Which Car? Pick One! Thanks!
2006 White/Camel 51kmi No CPO 1Own CA car, $29.5k 30k done records/keys, local dealer
56.67%
2005 Pebble Beach CPO Lexus Dlr 36k mi $31k need to ship $ books/keys 30k svc 3yr warr Black/Red
43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Choices, Choices...2005 PB Edition CPO 36k for $31kish or 06 white/camel 51k for $29k

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-09, 06:11 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

DH784123-your SC is my # 2 favorite of all time behind the NM Edition that VietPrince has. Those two cars are followed by the Black PB then the red/ecru...then whites, blacks and silver variations. I do agree having the interior dash, nav, tranny and tails are all nice upgrades, but I don't know if the two cars were EQUAL price if that is enough to push the white one ahead? Most 2005 regular model SC's that are CPO even with 40k, 50k miles are going for $35k...some even up to $40 (I think they are HIGH for that price!!!), so either car is priced very competitively.

I agree with all of you on the personal preference thing with the red interior. My driving habits are 5k miles in 3 years on my previous SC, so I don't think either car is a bad choice in terms of running mileage up, BUT although I say I have the best intentions to keep the car for a long long time, what if the LF-A tempts me in three years from now or something? Would the PB be hard to unload because of the red, or would it make me some money since it is so rare? I see a TON of 2006+ white ones on the road along with black, silver, etc. I've actually never seen a 2005 PB in person, just the 2004, 2006 and 2007 PB Editions.

My plans are to make it look similar to MRBLISTER'S...very smooth ride!!! Rear tails are a must for me. I offered them $30k take it or leave it on the black PB and I am still waiting to hear on the white.

Jason702-what upgrades were done to the stereo? I wasn't aware of any? I hope they made the speakers better!

Essentially, 15k of miles is like 5 years of driving for me. I am getting a small note for the car...so the warranty assurance is nice with the CPO. I talked to my guy at Sewell again today about the chances of buying the 3 year platinum on the white one and he said chances are good they will let me, but I cannot guarantee it.
Old 10-06-09, 06:17 PM
scdroptop

Just got service history from PB car in CA...30k was done for $938 to CPO the car and everything was flushed/filled/replaced on it. Brakes are 8mm and tires 7/32. Car has all keys and books. They were asking $37k, then it was on sale for $35k. I have been watching it and they just dropped it to $33k...then I offered them $30k even plus shipping it to me in Dallas. he said they are looking into the #'s and the shipping costs and will get back to me tomorrow. Looks like they paid $25k for the car and have $1k in the CPO process, and will cost them about $500 to ship to me. They will make $3500 on a five year old luxury car...pretty good deal to me and for them too, right?

Hell, the local dealers were going to offer me $16-$18k for my 2002 with 29k miles and turn around and sell it for $28k!!! Damn! There is a huge spread of wholesale and retail on these cars! I mean I always knew this and understood it, but when it is right in front of you it's kind of astonishing!

Personally, I love them both. I agree with the black vs white paint...that pearl white car even looks clean when it's dirty! I have my 2009 FX35 in Black on Mocha interior and it's awesome when it's clean but looks like hell when it's not. That's why I TAKE FULL ADVANTAGE of the free car washes! With self correcting swirl paint (in the sun), I have like zero swirls on the car and I was it weekly sometimes twice and I've owned it for ten months now!

I know the Lexus Pearl Black is a different color, it has the little pearl flakes in it, which actually help with the normal black PITA swirl marks. Black is not much farther off for keeping a red car clean though. No doubt you all are right about the maintenance of the pearl white paint though.

My buddies are all drewling over the black PB saying it's more of a manly car than the white/camel. My wife hates white cars...loves black cars. He he...everyone has their opinions and I love to hear them.

In Dallas I see about 3-5 SC's daily, sometimes more, sometimes less. I have never seen a black on red PB which is kind of neat to me. Down the street there are two white 2006+ SC's...not that it matters, just a point of reference to SC's being so rare. At my gym there is a red/ecru, a gold and a white one there daily too. SC's are very popular in DFW Area for some reason. Very hard to find one too, hence this is why I am buying out of town!

You bet I will drive the white one after the alignment is done...
Old 10-06-09, 06:22 PM
scdroptop

Default Here is what they did for the CPO on the PB car...interesting and nice to know!

$938 of their work would cost you like $1500 to do on your own. Amazing the markup and service. The $938 cost to CPO a car costs more than twice that amount to simply buy the service agreement (LFS Platinum Extended 3 year 100k costs about $2k) and you still don't have this work done on it!!!

I totally am a believer in the VALUE of a CPO car...I just hate paying for it!
Attached Thumbnails Choices, Choices...2005 PB Edition CPO 36k for kish or 06 white/camel 51k for k-bc1.jpg  
Old 10-06-09, 06:48 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

with the '06, you can add full ipod integration. before that, the best you can do is aux input.
Old 10-06-09, 07:50 PM
scdroptop

ah, nice, of course, I was thinking of that. I would do the VAIS unit, I think.
Old 10-06-09, 10:09 PM
dh784123
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow. i guess my car was a STEAL! I picked up my 07 PB back in january with only 6,000 miles on it for $43k. with full factory warranty till november 2010
Old 10-07-09, 09:45 PM
scdroptop

sure was...there is a 07 just like yours at Park Place in Dallas for $45 with more miles right now. A similar white 07 non-PB is only $40k with less miles than it. Shows you PB's can fetch more with the right mileage, market, etc.
Old 10-07-09, 09:55 PM
scdroptop

Default UPDATE: White SC drives perfect after alignment AND they took the $30k offer PB oh no

John Vance Cadillac in OK called me today (3 hours from me) and said the white 2006 has been aligned and drives perfect now. Tomorrow I am going to play a little with them and see if they would let it go for $29k instead of $29,500 just for ease of mind that I have to buy wheels/tires and a 3 year warranty (if they let me) and see where that goes. They have had the car for about 60 days and I know that's a long time in used car dealers mind.

Bob Baker Lexus from San Diego called back today as well (PB Edition) and they ACCEPTED my offer for $30k even shipped to me here in Dallas! 36k miles, CPO, all four keys, books records, 30k service done and the car is immaculate.

ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH I can't decide! You all have polled 13 to 7 so far in favor of the white one. I wonder if it's because the red seats? Are the advancements of the 2006 really that better? I am not seeing it...the manual mode is not as sporty as the c-gate shifting on the 2002-2005, and you can still add an aux to play your ipod (but no text and no steering wheel controls) to a 2005, and you get bluetooth still with 2005. You can add your own rear tails to the PB and have a really nice look with the front headlights like they are too.

I am leaning towards the PB edition based on the CPO piece of mind and the chance that I would not be able to buy the extended warranty on the white one...plus that's another $2k I could be spending on rims/tires, ipod, intake, etc etc.

I love the red interior, I know it's not for everyone. The white on tan is pretty, classy, easier to keep clean but doesn't move me as much as the black on red. I like bright bold things, I guess.

Am I thinking the PB edition is the better value for the mileage, CPO (and the 192 point inspection process) and rarity of the 400 models only made? Is that logical thinking?

The white one had some ?'s on the service...the original owner owned it in CA for 39 month lease and put 51k miles on it and did the 30k service last minute at like 48k miles. It had about four visits for suspension and had some "touch up" paint work done on the front of the car...this dealer says it was rock chip touch up, but what if they were covering up something? Curb damage? Maybe that's why it didn't drive straight too? Not a HUGE deal, but something to consider.

Any other thoughts or perspectives on this very hard decision would be greatly appreciated. You all are great!
Old 10-08-09, 08:52 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you made a formal offer to the guy in CA for the PB, and he accepted it. What's to decide?
Old 10-08-09, 06:33 PM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally go with the '06. It's newer and has more modern upgrades. But to each, his own. GL with the decision.
Old 10-09-09, 04:24 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
$938 of their work would cost you like $1500 to do on your own. Amazing the markup and service. The $938 cost to CPO a car costs more than twice that amount to simply buy the service agreement (LFS Platinum Extended 3 year 100k costs about $2k) and you still don't have this work done on it!!!

I totally am a believer in the VALUE of a CPO car...I just hate paying for it!
+1, you make an excellent argument for the CPO
Old 10-09-09, 10:52 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the red interior, too. I'm planning on driving my current SC and getting the white 2007 PB with the red interior.....in about 2014. LOL....
Old 10-09-09, 01:01 PM
Badfish2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I see a TON of 2006+ white ones on the road along with black, silver, etc. I've actually never seen a 2005 PB in person"

"I love the red interior, I know it's not for everyone. The white on tan is pretty, classy, easier to keep clean but doesn't move me as much as the black on red. I like bright bold things, I guess."

You made your mind up, and I agree completely. I just bought my '05PB and I had a choice of a '06 sitting right next to it, drove both. The red moved me more than the smoother tranny.
Old 10-10-09, 06:55 AM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GET THE PEBBLE BEACH!!!! It is one of a kind and quite rare. The blacked-out headlights in the front are incredible and the red interior is to die for. It screams sportiness yet upholds the luxury and class. With the White SC you will get lost in the masses of typical SC430s (which is still a highly regarded class). If it were me I would go with the PB SC. I have an 05 SC430 silver/black with 36,900 miles and I love it but I would trade it in a second for a chance at a straight trade for a PB edition!
Old 10-10-09, 03:00 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PHXSC
Sounds like you made a formal offer to the guy in CA for the PB, and he accepted it. What's to decide?
+1, offer made, offer accepted - now do the deal

Quick Reply: Choices, Choices...2005 PB Edition CPO 36k for $31kish or 06 white/camel 51k for $29k