SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Help me decide: 2002 to 2005 SC430 or 2003 to 2004 C5 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-09, 09:56 PM
nkx1
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Help me decide: 2002 to 2005 SC430 or 2003 to 2004 C5 Corvette

I want to spend at most around $25k for a new (to me) car, and I've been trying to decide between the cars in the subject line. The car would be my daily driver, as funds and garage space limit me to one car. There are a number of pros/cons to each, and I've tried to make a list of them here. Can you give me your thoughts, for and against, each car?

I would be prospectively buying a base-model Corvette, automatic with the 3:15 drive ratio. I know that pretty much everyone is going to nominate the SC, but I wanted to see if anyone will bring to light some rationale (either way) I haven't thought of. The reality is that I know the Corvette would be a more fun; however, I know that fun may come at the expense of quality and fit/finish, and I'm not sure if the fun factor would sufficiently compensate for the lesser quality and the lack luster interior...

--Corvette--
Pros: Much faster (0-60 in 4.9s) and better handling = more fun; arguably better looking (though looks are subjective); better gas mileage (up to +/- 29 mpg highway)
Cons: Slightly less reliable; likely more squeaks/rattles; lack luster interior

--SC430--
Pros: Convertible hard top (though I'd rather have a sun roof than a convertible any day, it still beats the Corvette removable top); interior leaps and bounds above Corvette interior; easier to maneuver on a daily basis (going up/down driveways, etc)
Cons: Slower (0-60 in 5.9s), yet worse gas mileage (23-24 mpg max?); the 2006+ models, which I can't afford, are nicer and that would bug me (for some reason it doesn't bug me with the Corvette)

Thanks for all your thoughts.

PS: PS: Here's my same question on the corvetteforum.com C5 forum, if anyone's interested: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...post1571750208

Last edited by nkx1; 10-07-09 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-07-09, 10:05 PM
Select
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you planing to get an auto vette, then I would rather get the SC430 for sure!

Now if you saying you getting a Z06, than that's a different story!!!
Old 10-07-09, 10:12 PM
nkx1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Select
If you planing to get an auto vette, then I would rather get the SC430 for sure!

Now if you saying you getting a Z06, than that's a different story!!!
z06 is a little rough around the edges for me to use as a daily driver... Thinner glass and less sound insulation = louder interior, stiffer suspension, stick shift (I have a stick shift now, and I'm tired of shifting all the time), etc.
Old 10-07-09, 10:20 PM
Select
Driver

Originally Posted by nkx1
z06 is a little rough around the edges for me to use as a daily driver... Thinner glass and less sound insulation = louder interior, stiffer suspension, stick shift (I have a stick shift now, and I'm tired of shifting all the time), etc.
So you saying you want a crusier? Lexus would me my choice for that, it is smoother and great for everyday driving.
Old 10-07-09, 10:24 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

I sold my 2002 SC red/ecru with 29k miles in search for "something else" which I thought I always wanted a Porsche 911 C2 Cab or C4 Cab. I ended up hating the interior, rough loud ride and uncertainties of maintenance costs for the Porsche and now I am coming back to the SC.

The "fun" is what you make it with both cars. If you get an auto slick top Vette, how much "fun" is that commute? I know that the seats are not as comfortable in a vette and the low posture can wear on you in that car.

If you can find a 2005 SC for the higher end of your range (I have just so you know) you will get the bluetooth technology in SC's.

The SC will give you better resale for sure. And it's like two cars in one. A nice quiet luxury cruiser with respectable power with the top up, and a fun convertible (I know you said you didn't care about the convertible) to enjoy the sun.

The back seat and storage on a SC (albeit small) is better than the vette. Depending on your situation (single, married, kids, no kids, # of people who ride with you, pets, etc) a SC is definitely more versatile than a vette.

Lastly, the Lexus experience is truly awesome. The free lexus loaner cars, the free car washes, etc are all part of the luxury experience like no other. You can also possibly find a 2005 that is still under factory warranty before the end of 2009 (it would have to be a late model year production with lower than 50k miles) and still purchase a 3 year, 100k mile bumper to bumper, no questions asked warranty from lexus to be used at any lexus dealer, which is pretty nice.

Just my two cents. Let us know how you end up.
Old 10-07-09, 10:25 PM
nkx1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Select
So you saying you want a crusier? Lexus would me my choice for that, it is smoother and great for everyday driving.
A cruiser, yes, but I want to have fun at times (such as smoking the car next to you at freeway on ramps and quick cornering). I'm not sure that the Lexus would offer that, but am wondering if it would make up for that in other ways and/or if the Corvette would detract from that in some ways...
Old 10-07-09, 10:37 PM
nkx1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by scdroptop
I sold my 2002 SC red/ecru with 29k miles in search for "something else" which I thought I always wanted a Porsche 911 C2 Cab or C4 Cab. I ended up hating the interior, rough loud ride and uncertainties of maintenance costs for the Porsche and now I am coming back to the SC.

The "fun" is what you make it with both cars. If you get an auto slick top Vette, how much "fun" is that commute? I know that the seats are not as comfortable in a vette and the low posture can wear on you in that car.

If you can find a 2005 SC for the higher end of your range (I have just so you know) you will get the bluetooth technology in SC's.

The SC will give you better resale for sure. And it's like two cars in one. A nice quiet luxury cruiser with respectable power with the top up, and a fun convertible (I know you said you didn't care about the convertible) to enjoy the sun.

The back seat and storage on a SC (albeit small) is better than the vette. Depending on your situation (single, married, kids, no kids, # of people who ride with you, pets, etc) a SC is definitely more versatile than a vette.

Lastly, the Lexus experience is truly awesome. The free lexus loaner cars, the free car washes, etc are all part of the luxury experience like no other. You can also possibly find a 2005 that is still under factory warranty before the end of 2009 (it would have to be a late model year production with lower than 50k miles) and still purchase a 3 year, 100k mile bumper to bumper, no questions asked warranty from lexus to be used at any lexus dealer, which is pretty nice.

Just my two cents. Let us know how you end up.
Thanks so much for the reply- that is exactly the kind of rationale I was hoping for. It definitely sounds like the Porsche may be a little more extreme in most respects that the Corvette, but definitely some food for thought. Luckily (or maybe not), I probably will have a few months to think about it.
Old 10-08-09, 07:28 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

While this certainly shouldn't be a factor, there's something else to consider. It may be something you simply don't care about but, it is a factor...

The Corvette and the SC430 give off a totally different vibe to others.

Pulling up in an SC430 tells people "I've arrived".
The Corvette seems to give off the "mid-life crisis" vibe to a lot of people.

Personally, I don't believe in the "mid-life crisis". Most people who go out at age 50 and buy an expensive sports car do so because they've always wanted one and they're finally at a point in their life when they can afford it and enjoy it.

The only reason I didn't have a Lamborghini when I was 19 was...I couldn't afford one!!!

But, driving around in a 'vette...you need to look into getting chest-hair implants and updating your gold medalion collection.

Is it right? No. Is it fair? No. Is it the way the world works? Yes.

And I agree with others...the Z06 or ZR1...that's something else entirely.
Old 10-08-09, 11:20 AM
karmann
Rookie

Default No comparison

I traded in a 05 SC for a new 08 auto vette. No comparison in power. The ride is no comparison also. The ride is never jarring in the vette unlike the SC and both use run flats. Both have plenty of road noise. The vette does get better mileage, 30 vs about 27 on a trip. The seats in the vette are far more comfortable and consequently I have driven the car far more than I did the SC while I had it. There are far more toys on the vette, like XM radio, heads up display, smart key, ipod adaptor, along with the usual heated and memory seats etc. Luggage space is about double in the vette and is concealed. The only thing I miss is the convertible in the SC. I also agree that the SC gives off different vibes than does the vette, which is regrettable as the vette is so much better than its reputation. I didnt realize how good it was until after I bought it. And as far as rattles, the vette has none after 27k, something I could not say about the SC. Also when you buy a vette you join a family. I think the SC is classy looking from most angles but akward from others but overall still a beauty. The problem I had is that it looks like a sports car but handles like a Corolla. I expected much more.
Old 10-08-09, 11:46 AM
mischief7
Rookie

Originally Posted by Habious
The Corvette and the SC430 give off a totally different vibe to others.

Pulling up in an SC430 tells people "I've arrived".
The Corvette seems to give off the "mid-life crisis" vibe to a lot of people.
I saw your thread on corvetteforums...
I'm 32 and have a corvette 6-speed, I don't think anybody would mistake me for having a mid-life.

I had a '92 SC300 5-speed, and I can tell you, a Lexus has a much nicer interior, and even had features my '03 3.2TL Type-S didnt have.

But a Corvette is a whole different animal, and I picked it over buying another Lexus.
BTW, my other car is an IS300
Old 10-08-09, 11:52 AM
Select
Driver

My point is if it is going to be a sport car like a vette, then it is going to have to be a stick hands down. It is like you are telling me you are going to buy an Acura NSX but in an auto =(

EWWWWW

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with an auto, but not on a sport car like a vette. I know I am going to get flamed on the fact that the SC430 being a sport car but it is an auto, true that but it is a luxury sport car like the Benz SL or CLK. You do not want to stunt in a luxury car shifting gears. It is like buying a seden with a stick, it is not practical!
Old 10-08-09, 11:52 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the vette is a little redneck in my opinion. it's a step up from an '86 firebird. but in most people's minds, it's in the same family.
Old 10-08-09, 11:57 AM
Select
Driver

Originally Posted by mischief7
I saw your thread on corvetteforums...
I'm 32 and have a corvette 6-speed, I don't think anybody would mistake me for having a mid-life.

I had a '92 SC300 5-speed, and I can tell you, a Lexus has a much nicer interior, and even had features my '03 3.2TL Type-S didnt have.

But a Corvette is a whole different animal, and I picked it over buying another Lexus.
BTW, my other car is an IS300
^ NICE WHIP!
Old 10-08-09, 11:59 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

I don't think that you can truly classify the SC430 as a sports car. It is more of a sporty luxury (roadster) car.
Old 10-08-09, 12:14 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harold57
I don't think that you can truly classify the SC430 as a sports car. It is more of a sporty luxury (roadster) car.
^^
Bingo - 2 cars in 2 different classes. You want a luxury cruiser? Get the SC. You want a hot rod? Get the Vette. If you want more performance from the SC, your choices are very limited, and it is very limited what you can get out of it without going through the motor.
If you want a little more performance out of your Vette, simply stop by your local NAPA store, and buy a chip for it. Tons more options to choose from, readily available, with the Vette.

Quick Reply: Help me decide: 2002 to 2005 SC430 or 2003 to 2004 C5 Corvette