A New Guy, Hello All

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-09, 04:25 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default A New Guy, Hello All

Hello all,
I have been paging through this great forum, learning about my new baby. A green (looks black) SC430 03 with 47K miles. Price paid
$23000 from an Acura Dealer, with a 12/12 powertrain warranty. I have already put 500 miles on her, and she is almost flawless.
Very happy with 18MPG, the way I am driving, performs great, and everyone thinks my 7 year old baby is brand new. I have envied
the 06LS I bought my wife last year, and felt my mid life crisis deserved something this nice. Sorry for the Newbie type questons but would
love to know your opinions on.

1. Aprox how much a year should I expect in repairs up to 125K miles.

2. Everything works except the Nav never goes to night mode, am I missing something?

3. Is it much faster in Power Mode?

4. Black out tint a plus or minus?

5. Extended warranty offered by Lexus dealer, $4800 for an additional 6 years 60K miles bumper to bumper.

6. Should I be afraid of the top breaking or wearning out?

Gotta say, I love this car, it is my dream car. I know the style is love it or hate it, but as a previous owner of a Subaru SVX, driving something
unusual, with Lexus reliablity is awsome. Bonus is my 5'8 and wife 5'5 allows us to fit the 7 and 8 year old without contortions. We can actually
use the back seat. Your advice is appreciated...
Old 10-11-09, 04:42 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Post up some pics of the new additions!
Old 10-11-09, 05:01 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
1. Aprox how much a year should I expect in repairs up to 125K miles.
I've spent $200 in 3 years.
2. Everything works except the Nav never goes to night mode, am I missing something?
there's probably something in the settings. play around with the menus.
3. Is it much faster in Power Mode?
it's much more responsive.
4. Black out tint a plus or minus?
i have limo tint. it looks good and is nice in warm weather climates.
5. Extended warranty offered by Lexus dealer, $4800 for an additional 6 years 60K miles bumper to bumper.
ripoff. search extended warranties on here. should cost about half that.
6. Should I be afraid of the top breaking or wearning out?
it's not likely
Old 10-11-09, 05:02 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to the forum KaiserSea.

1. If you have the warranty, nothing. There's typically only a handfull of items that go out: the speakers, the oxygen sensor and ..... (I'm drawing a blank, help me guys.) Rare items that go out are the gears in the rearview mirrors. We are starting to see some of the NAV DVD motors go out (it resides in the trunk). If you have the bumper to bumper warranty, the Lexus dealers are typically very good but expensive if you don't have the warranty. But that is typical of dealers.
2. Don't know. (I don't use it much at all.)
3. It responds a little quicker in Power mode, but should be no faster. The transmission computer learns how you drive and adjusts in the non-power mode. So if it becomes somewhat sluggish, run it in the power mode for a couple of tankfulls and that will clear it out. (Kind of an annoying characteristic.) Most folks see no difference in mileage between Power and standard mode, unless you are an aggressive driver.
4. Black out is per taste, tends to be subjective.
5. The warranties are very nice and make life much easier.
6. I haven't heard of a top wearing out yet. There have been a couple of folks that had issues with their tops, but those are rare. Lots of us drop the top every chance we get. So drop it to your heart's delight.

From your last paragraph, it sounds like you are having the same experiences most of us do. We really love the cars and they tend to continue to be head turners even at 9 years old (the '02s built in '01).

Enjoy your ride.
Old 10-11-09, 06:00 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Welcome-

I won't repeat what's already been said/answered but add a different twist to extended warranties. $4800 is a FELONY to pay for a warranty. Call around other Lexus Dealers. I bought a 3 year up to 100k mile warranty for $1850 and it was the best choice ever. About five ML speakers were replaced on my car-yes you will be replacing them. The subwoofer was $1200 by itself and practically paid for the warranty!

The interior dim light ****/switch (left side of steering wheel) is a really easy test to just turn all the way to the left (I think) when you are driving at night and this should dim your interior lights but also turn your nav system into night mode. Check that first.

The actual setting is your "Display" button. You can play with those settings to your personal choice from there. It is very self explanatory. You should be fine.

Any Lexus dealer can actually sell you one. If you don't have luck locally, I can give you my trusted Lexus Dealer rep of ten years at Sewell in Dallas, Mel Warren's number.

I've always driven all my Lexus vehicles in Power Mode-they seem to shift quicker and have a higher range in the RPM's to have more of a sporty feel.
Old 10-11-09, 06:39 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Thanks for the replies, on the warranty issue, an 03 is beyond the Lexus time frame. With such minor issues, 4800$ for a dealer underwritten warranty would be better in my 401k, even in this market. If the ML speakers go, if it is not sacreligious I would go with a good MB Quart for a few hundred bucks all around. I have the ML in my 06LS, and it sounds a bit better than my SC, but still not as good as I hoped.

I read a lot of reviews before buying, and test drove a RUF Porsche and a Vette, so I have a good idea what C&D and MT like better about the competition. For me, the SC is the winner as a daily driver. 0-60 in 5.8 is more than enough power, given that in the other cars I would need some new kidneys after a couple years driving to work.

For me, the interior is as nice as any I have seen, the exterior reminds me of my favorite the 550 porsche, and if my other Lexus is any indication, I will never see the Lexus service dept enough for them to learn my name. My neighbor bought a new 5 series last week, and he is already in the shop for an oil leak.

The added bonus of driving a seven year old car that looks nearly identical to the 2010, and that I have only seen one other on the road in two weeks, makes my smile that much bigger. I have a feelng I am going to keep this one for a while
Old 10-11-09, 06:48 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scdroptop
The interior dim light ****/switch (left side of steering wheel) is a really easy test to just turn all the way to the left (I think) when you are driving at night and this should dim your interior lights but also turn your nav system into night mode. Check that first.
That was it!!! The dimmer was set to full brightness keeping it in day mode. Thanks so much, Okay now my SC is 100%
Old 10-11-09, 06:49 PM
scdroptop

[QUOTE=KaiserSea1;4917859]Thanks for the replies, on the warranty issue, an 03 is beyond the Lexus time frame. With such minor issues, 4800$ for a dealer underwritten warranty would be better in my 401k, even in this market. If the ML speakers go, if it is not sacreligious I would go with a good MB Quart for a few hundred bucks all around. I have the ML in my 06LS, and it sounds a bit better than my SC, but still not as good as I hoped.

Yep-just keep in mind it is an all-or-nothing system so you would most likely have to replace all speakers if one goes out if you want to do some aftermarket speakers. Do a search, it's been talked about before.

I agree on the $4800 wholeheartedly. Mine was a no-brainer at $1850 for 3 years, especially since I had a note on the car too. There is nothing like having a car broken that you can pay for to fix and you have to make payments on it! Still, if you want a warranty check around. I just helped a friend buy a 2003 Range Rover and was able to find him a nice bumper to bumper warranty for about $2500 for 3 years.
Old 10-11-09, 06:56 PM
scdroptop

great news on the dimming of the lights and nav! Did you figure out where the coin tray is yet? It took me about three years, but I went to a public university!

some other common newbie questions or issues might be the top and all of a sudden it doesn't work at all. Check the cargo cover in the trunk. If it is not pulled back, your top will not work!

Need extra programmable keys? Don't spend $250-$300 at dealer! Look on the forum as well on eBay. A lot of us buy stuff on eBay. Also www.lexuspartsonline.com is a good one too.

One other common thing and I will let you go...TIRES!

Most of us who have older model SC430's have custom wheels or have gotten rid of the "pie plates" and RFT's (run flats) due to the aesthetics and the harsh ride. These are easy, fairly inexpensive and HIGHLY recommended upgrades for your comfort as well as aesthetics. Depending on your style, needs and budget you can get some nice 20" custom chrome wheels for around $1,000 and tires for about $1k too. OR, if you just want to replace the pie plates with nice OEM looking wheels, you can get some more 18" Lexus wheels (tournalines, g-spiders, etc) or even non-pie plate SC wheels online for about the same price probably cheaper and keep your tires. RFT replacement only if you like your stock wheels would be to go with www.tires.com and get some yokos or hankooks for about $700-$800 with lifetime air, balance and rotate for free! Just my two cents. My 2002 ride with the pie plates and RFT's was HORRIBLE until I upgraded and it make a 300% improvement in ride as well as aesthetics! You will definitely want to go with a "staggered" set up which is wider in the back to magnify your lady's curves!
Old 10-11-09, 07:25 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Most of us who have older model SC430's have custom wheels or have gotten rid of the "pie plates"
N

I am impressed with myself, a lawyer out of LSU found the coin holder, and figured out the cover in the trunk on day one. I even thanks to you all use the GPS over ride.

The previous owner ditched the run flats, but left the pie plates. So far nothing but compliments on the pie plates, and I am ashamed to admit, they look okay to me. Since there are so few of these on the road, it does not really need custom wheels to stand out.

Not too sure why a car that came with run flats, and has no spare, comes with a jack and tools, and there is a thing in the back called a flux capacitor that I have not tried yet. My first big lesson came from racing my neighbor down a dead everglades road with his Vette. Won't be doing that again.
Old 10-11-09, 07:31 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

It is indeed an interesting car. I was still finding "new" features after having it for a couple of years, I hate to admit. (I probably read about them in the manual and just forgot.) Like the time I ran across a little button on the left and discovered that the car has headlight washers.
Old 10-12-09, 10:21 AM
scdroptop

yep, have to be careful without spare...i got lucky in my three years with mine, but you certainly think twice about where you are going. Another great benefit to the Lexus warranty is free towing no matter what the issue, tire repair or battery jump/repair or lockout service with the Platinum Warranty
Old 10-12-09, 02:30 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the wonderful world of owning, perhaps the best hard top convertible ever made !! I've found that most complaints about the car are the ML speakers, run flats, pie plates, and battery issues. You should be able to find an extended warranty for around $2500. Good Luck