SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Getting Rid of Pie Pan Rims, but with what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-09, 03:54 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Getting Rid of Pie Pan Rims, but with what?

I hope some of you can help me pick new rims at a reasonable price. I'm confused why some rims are as little as $139 and as much as $800 each. What makes it worth the increased cost? I drive my '02 SC as my daily ride and never run above 90 mph. Tire Rack had the Kazera KZ-J for $139, ASA AR2 V2 for $169 and Volk Racing RE30 for $779, yet they all had a similar design and look on the vehicle. So help me understand why the big differences in rim prices and should I pay for higher priced rims.
Old 10-13-09, 04:15 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

you get what you pay for. cheaper wheels = cheaper quality. they don't look as good in person. and you're likely to have problems with the ride. i'd recommend watching the wheels classified forum. my wheels would have cost about $5000 new with tires. i got them for less than half that.
Old 10-13-09, 04:40 PM
Yes

a quick look turned up these..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/whe...-03-tires.html
Old 10-13-09, 05:06 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Great feedback. I didn't realize this site had a wheels classified forum. I've been looking at that location. I like the style of 10 -14 spoke wheels. You indicated ride could suffer with cheaper wheels.....is this a wheel stiffness issue?
Old 10-13-09, 05:24 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Has anybody had experience with Enkei Performance G5 wheels($200). It has black accent that looks pretty good against Egyptian Sand IMHO. They are constructed as 1 Pc. Gravity Cast w/MAT Technology.
Old 10-13-09, 05:26 PM
Yes

they bend easier. and you may have problems with vibration.
Old 10-13-09, 08:02 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Honestly and truthfully any 20" rims with 30 series, 35 series that hit a curb, MAJOR pothole or whatever will have a high incidence of bending, it's just inevitable.

I've had BBS, iForged, Foose, ADR, RPM, Zenetti, Enkei, Konig wheels and I cannot say that one was "stronger" than the other, but I will agree with jason702 that you do get what you pay for. I like the bigger flashier wheels at the best price, so I am not as concerned with the wheel quality as long as they don't flake.

As far as vibration-you will get this on a lot of wheels unless you get the RIGHT hub centric rings. One time I made a mistake and did not buy them and I never got the wheels right! So, I sold the car with the two year old wobble problem!

I'm a bit of a "new stuff" guy and tend to want to get new stuff so I always look on eBay for wheels and go to www.tires.com to price out tire options and get it done at Discount Tire because they have great service, free air, balance, rotate, etc.

I have even had my wheels shipped to my local store so I don't have to be at home to sign for them and have to lug them in my SUV to the discount tire to have them mounted. Just my two cents.

Tell us what kind of wheels you are looking for...maybe we can help with more specifics. Sounds like you want a black inlay? What size? Staggered or not?
Old 10-13-09, 08:16 PM
scdroptop

these are some nice 20" staggered and non-staggered with the "gunmetal" grayish tint to them with a polished lip. First one would be sweet set up with staggered 285/30/20 in the rear and 245/35/20 in the front. Tires would be $800 at discount tire, so this entire setup would cost you under $1900 for everything, mounted, balanced, etc.

These are Stern wheels, probably one of the most popular brands, good quality (but not the best):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20-HB...Q5fAccessories

Here are some cheaper Stern if you are looking for value....about $600 for the set of black chrome with polished lip 20", very nice cheaper example...staggered set up too!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20-WH...Q5fAccessories

Here is a link with a whole bunch of them:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=20%...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 10-13-09, 08:27 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on the final look you're after, you may want to consider an OEM rim, such as a G-spyder or a Tourmaline. I think both look good on the car, are hub-centric, and are a good value with the discount codes you can find here. too.
Old 10-13-09, 08:38 PM
scdroptop

+1 to PHXSC...if you are not going to go to a 20" and get the wheel you REALLY want, a nice set of alternate OEM's like the spyders and Tourmalines look great.
Old 10-16-09, 01:21 PM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PHXSC
Depending on the final look you're after, you may want to consider an OEM rim, such as a G-spyder or a Tourmaline. I think both look good on the car, are hub-centric, and are a good value with the discount codes you can find here. too.

Spyder-G's - Can't be beat!
Old 10-16-09, 02:47 PM
Yes

You should check out the G35 forums. Their wheels will usually fit our cars. Just make sure the offsets aren't too aggressive. You'll see a lot of high quality 10-14 spoke wheels for sale there.
Old 10-16-09, 06:51 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm not sure if they are the best wheels, but I just ordered a set of Verde Kaos V55's in silver. Should be here early next week. I'll post pictures and see what you think.

Last edited by Poqman; 10-16-09 at 07:01 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 10-16-09, 08:30 PM
scdroptop

I have the Verde Kaos on my infiniti current and absolutely love them. I have them in chrome...very easy to keep clean, don't bend/scrape easily and look fabulous. You won't be disappointed. Great choice and good luck!!!!
Old 10-17-09, 05:57 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Poqman
Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm not sure if they are the best wheels, but I just ordered a set of Verde Kaos V55's in silver. Should be here early next week. I'll post pictures and see what you think.
Great choice Poqman, I think you'll be happy with the new look

Quick Reply: Getting Rid of Pie Pan Rims, but with what?