SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Replacement key - Dallas

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-09, 01:04 PM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement key - Dallas

My key is broken in pieces, and need to have it replaced. Can someone recommend a cheap locksmith in Dallas? Also a cheap place online to buy one?

It's for a 02 SC430, its the smart key with the three buttons on it. Thanks!
Old 10-14-09, 01:17 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ogramming.html

I'm also in Dallas, I'm working on a solution, and I'll post it there.
Old 10-14-09, 01:32 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Gang-I am in Dallas as well. A few years ago I found a sweet dealer in CA who sold me three of them for less than the dealers were selling new. I only had one key for my 02 and it kind of bothered me.

You can go a few routes...but first let me caution you that there is a lot of "junk" out there and do not buy an already cut key, it cannot be retrofitted! I've been there!

Also, you have to ensure your FCC ID numbers match and it is for the right car. Believe it or not, some SC and LX keys were same FCC ID #'s but they just didn't work.

Here are the options:

1) Buy the whole damn thing for like $250 at dealer (not recommended)
2) Buy the shell only with uncut key, have them cut it at dealer ($60 total) and then program yourself (recommended if your brains are good still)
3) Buy a new one or used one on eBay and have it cut/programmed yourself locally at dealer for $30-$50 I believe is what I paid.

Like I said, it has been a few years but I remember researching the HELL out of it!

Basically you cannot just go to a locksmith to have this done. Park Place did my cutting the cheapest and I programmed myself. I think I bought three keys and paid with programming what one new key would have cost!

I priced both Sewell and PP out together and found that by FAR PP had the best pricing on the key itself. Good news is that you can program it yourself, it is really easy. I will post directions in a while if you need them. It's a series of turnkeys, opening and shutting doors, window down, etc etc. Trust me if I can do it, so can you!

If you have time to wait for eBay shipment, here is a good price for a brand new one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...Q5fAccessories

Here is a new shell (plastic outside and key) with reconditioning and new battery in the brains...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! I will list two different sellers for you. I can't remember which one I bought from it was a few years back....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNCUT...Q5fAccessories

If you have the brains/battery, you can take them out and put into one of these really cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...Q5fAccessories

Feel free to PM me I can help if this wasn't clear. Like I said I spent a good time researching, programming and finding the best deal. When you buy something and have it cut, do it at Park Place they are much cheaper.

Good luck!
Old 10-14-09, 04:57 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Last I checked, Davenports was about $63 for a new key, cut but without electronics. No need to replace the electronics in your key if they still work.
Old 10-14-09, 07:48 PM
scdroptop

sounds like davenports is making PP be more competitive (both within a few miles of each other), which explains why my plugs were $250 at PP and $300 at sewell. competition makes a difference!
Old 10-14-09, 08:10 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Yes, I've noticed that also. Somethings are much cheaper at PP and others at Sewells. Labor tends to be cheaper at Davenports, though I haven't checked everything they do yet.
Old 10-16-09, 09:05 AM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

update: i bought a replacement key off eBay, and the listing clearly says it'll work with a 2002 SC430, but when i just received the replacement, the new key is about a centimeter longer than my OEM key. will this just get chopped off once they cut the new key? if i cut the new, longer key, will it still work, just stick out a centimeter from the ignition?

listing website
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AQ:MOTORS:1123
Old 10-16-09, 10:26 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

(See my reply to your other post.) No, it won't get cut off and yes it will stick out a tad more.
Old 10-16-09, 08:32 PM
scdroptop

yes, you should be fine. I had a couple keys longer than the other two I had in my set of four---just as long as the FCC ID's work, etc.

I did run into a strange deal one time where I got a key for a Lx470 for 2002 and the FCC ID matched, but the key would just not work for some reason. These key sellers on eBay run into that stuff all the time and they were very accommodating to help me get the right one out---so even if it's worse case scenario you will be fine.
Old 10-17-09, 01:06 AM
Azn2nr27
Driver School Candidate

I know that this is for the SC model but I have a 1999 GS model. I only have the valet key. Will I be able to program the key with just the valet key or do I need the master key?
Old 10-17-09, 05:52 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Azn2nr27
I know that this is for the SC model but I have a 1999 GS model. I only have the valet key. Will I be able to program the key with just the valet key or do I need the master key?
I don't believe any Lexus model can be programmed without the master key
Old 10-17-09, 08:08 AM
scdroptop

man, unfortunately I think you are right tromly....

I think this is the case where you have to buy the new ECU with complete set of keys. Check around for prices...but last time I checked that kit was over $1k. Ouch.

I've always been super **** about these keys for that very reason. My last 02 only came with one master key and I bought extra just so I was never in this situation. My 2005 coming has all four keys that came with the car...two masters, valet and emergency key. I got lucky...I just don't understand why previous owners don't keep the keys with the car or why dealers don't "require" all keys to come in on a trade. As expensive as these are, that really does deter me from buying a car and certainly makes me adjust my price I'm willing to pay. Not only is it a PITA but also $$$.
Old 10-18-09, 03:17 AM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TEXAS83
I see that you only bought the shell + blade and re-use the old electronics so no need to program the remote. Was going to mentioned it to you with this route but noticed that you already there. As for the cutting part, either the dealer or locksmith would be fine.

Side note, someone on the second gen RX forum had his key cut at Lowes Not sure if this is recommended, but ballsey non the less. Also, when our key break, it's maybe a good time to try the 'switch blade' style key that also sells on Ebay.
Old 10-18-09, 08:21 AM
scdroptop

do the switch blades work on our cars? I thought the FCC ID's had to match?
Old 10-18-09, 11:58 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

If the electronics fit from the regular key into the switchblade key, then there is no problem. The FCC ID relates to the electronics.

Quick Reply: Replacement key - Dallas