SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)
View Poll Results: 2006+ Tail Upgrade: What choice did you make, why and how do you like it?
Just did the Lights/Bulbs only, VERY HAPPY least expensive mod
30.00%
Just did the lights/bulbs, UNHAPPY with the indicator light on dash
10.00%
Did Lights/ECU altogether and JUST HAPPY but it was $$$ and a PITA
10.00%
Did Lights/ECU and VERY HAPPY well worth the money and wasn't a PITA
50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

2006+ Tail Light Conversion-Is there a FINAL Verdict?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-09, 08:17 AM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 2006+ Tail Light Conversion-Is there a FINAL Verdict?

Gang-been reading all the posts after I searched about this very popular topic (moderators: maybe we can make a sticky?) and it seems like everyone is happy with the mods they made, but I wanted to get a FINAL verdict from those of you who did not opt for the expensive ECU option and have been living with the light indicator on and if you regret.

I guess it's time for another survey!

Also for those of you who dropped the cash for the ECU how much harder that install was? Is it still DIY?

I am thinking for $600 or so from lexusparts or carson toyota, some careful labor and those great chrome coated amber blinking lights that this is a no brainer to go the cheaper route and live with the indicator light, but that's just my initial take. Hoping to get your thoughts/opinions now that you all have been living with this upgrade for a while. Thanks!
Old 10-17-09, 09:28 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Changing the ECU is easier than changing the lights. ECU is 2 mins job and very simple to get to.
Old 10-17-09, 11:38 PM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just swapped out my tail lights and boy what a big difference in appearance. 10 minutes is all it'll take to swap the ECU, the pain is getting off all the trunk trim pieces to get at the stupid thing. But all you need is a 10mm socket to do the job. It took longer installing the lights.

Now everytime I look at my car, I wonder how I lived with those ugly lights before :P

I say, pony up and get the darn thing. Disabling the TPMS, the tail light indicator, etc, you're missing out on a useful function of your car. I've seen countless IS300s driving around with their lights out...and wonder how many fix-it tickets they've gotten. And with the "mods" I have on my car, I don't want to give the five-oh any reason to stop me
Old 10-19-09, 10:16 PM
scdroptop

lol...big response. sorry if the poll was boring...just wanted to see opinions about the value of doing the ecu vs the annoyance of not. I think I am leaning towards NOT doing it...$1k for rear tail lights that don't shine your shoes or brush your teeth is a lot!
Old 10-20-09, 07:27 AM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I tell you if there is any mod to do this is the one... it makes such a huge difference..day and night..I did the lights and the ecu and couldnt be more happy..
Old 10-20-09, 07:52 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Yep makes a big difference, Ive even had ppl who are not into cars at all notice and say how much better it looks.

But the price has gone up alot on the ecu since I bought mine.
Old 10-20-09, 10:22 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
lol...big response. sorry if the poll was boring...just wanted to see opinions about the value of doing the ecu vs the annoyance of not. I think I am leaning towards NOT doing it...$1k for rear tail lights that don't shine your shoes or brush your teeth is a lot!

there is a much cheaper option. you can tint the taillights red. it covers up the amber for a cleaner look. that's what i did and it's a big difference in my opinion.

Old 10-20-09, 01:11 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

My son is color blind. One time, we took a long trip in the spring and we were all commenting on how the fields of Indian Paintbrush flowers looked so pretty. My son never said anything. Finally, after hearing us continue to marvel at the beautiful colors in the fields, he yelled out, "What are you LOOKING at?" LOL....with his color blindness, he couldn't see a darn thing.

I feel the same way on this tail light mod thing. I've compared the lights and tried to see what everyone else sees, but I just don't see any significant difference or improvement at all. I'll just never understand this mod. What am I supposed to be looking for?
Old 10-20-09, 01:21 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

LED vs bulbs. LED's look cool and modern. But yep daylight pics you wont see that
Old 10-20-09, 10:22 PM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

Sewell sells the whole setup for ~770.
Old 10-21-09, 12:42 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aquanuke
LED vs bulbs. LED's look cool and modern. But yep daylight pics you wont see that
Ahhh, thank you. I wonder if there's a vid of this on YouTube.
Old 10-21-09, 07:10 AM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is how they look like...
Originally Posted by TooCoolSC
Ahhh, thank you. I wonder if there's a vid of this on YouTube.
Attached Thumbnails 2006+ Tail Light Conversion-Is there a FINAL Verdict?-dsc03508.jpg  
Old 10-21-09, 07:18 AM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jason that looks amazing
Old 10-21-09, 07:55 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IStoSC
Jason that looks amazing
thanks. personally, i like it a little better than the LEDs. i know i'm in the minority there. but i like the cleanness of one solid color. and i spent a total of $60 installed. so that's a plus
Old 10-21-09, 11:09 AM
scdroptop

nice option jason....I agree your look is much better than the amber/red mix. If I didn't want the 2006+ tails I would definitely do your mod!

for me the mod is for the led look and the modern look of it all, and I actually like the white stripe on the 2006+ lens

interesting that the sewell deal is only $770 for everything...I cannot find that link and have searched like crazy. On the sewell parts online site you price everything out and it's like $900 even with the CL discount code.

Can someone send this to me? Maybe I searched wrong...tried sewell group buy, searched for 2006+ tail light group buy, "mod", etc. etc.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2006+ Tail Light Conversion-Is there a FINAL Verdict?