SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Headlights Scratched or Discolored? Use This!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-09, 10:40 AM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Headlights Scratched or Discolored? Use This!

I've used this product for about five of my cars now for the past few years and it truly works awesome! On my 2002 SC I started getting that yellowish whiteish fading and it returned it to new. On my 2003 FX35 my headlights were scratched from all sorts of stuff and this made it as smooth as a baby's behind!

I've gotten a little "loose" using it and have experimented with scratches on other colored plastic like tails, exhaust, mirrors and chrome. (Warning: it says NOT to do this, so it is purely experimental, use it at your own risk on colored plastic/metal) but I have to say that it works awesome for lots of things!!! I buy it at Target for about $9 I think.

Let me know what you all think. I think it's a gem. Wish I would have had this for my 95 SC400 I had back in the day...my headlights looked terrible!

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...?T1=MEG+G12310
Attached Images  
Old 10-25-09, 10:49 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to know this stuff works. Lexus also sells it, although I don't know what brand they sell. I'm sure it costs a lot more than $9 though.

I'm like you. I had a 1992 SC 400 and the headlights were almost white. It was like driving a car with cataracts. Wish I had known about this stuff then.
Old 10-25-09, 10:57 AM
scdroptop

One of my other "favs" is the Meguires Gold Class Leather Cleaner/Conditioner. I get a wet micropolish towel (slightly damp) and spray the Meguires generously on the seats, steering wheel leather and door leather inserts.

Professional detailers will tell you that's a mistake most people make with applying the chemicals to a dry/rough/thick towel is that the towel soaks up the sauce! You want a damp towel...microfiber if you can. Target sells some great yellow ones for $5/4pk.
Old 10-25-09, 11:03 AM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use PlastX on my headlights every 2-3 weeks. Now I gotta take apart the headlights and do the inside too
Old 10-25-09, 12:33 PM
scdroptop

wow...now that's surgery!
Old 10-25-09, 12:47 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice post!

I also swear by Meguiar's products. However, for my headlights I've always used its "Scratch X" and it too, does wonders.

Jon
Old 10-25-09, 12:49 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^I'm to afraid to open up the headlights...ever in fear of moisture getting in because then you're screwed...
Old 10-25-09, 02:22 PM
JTMav
Intermediate

I've used it for a long time. It also works great on the interior wood of our 430s. Try it you'll be impressed.
JTMav
Old 10-25-09, 08:13 PM
dag8882
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
I've used this product for about five of my cars now for the past few years and it truly works awesome! On my 2002 SC I started getting that yellowish whiteish fading and it returned it to new. On my 2003 FX35 my headlights were scratched from all sorts of stuff and this made it as smooth as a baby's behind!

I've gotten a little "loose" using it and have experimented with scratches on other colored plastic like tails, exhaust, mirrors and chrome. (Warning: it says NOT to do this, so it is purely experimental, use it at your own risk on colored plastic/metal) but I have to say that it works awesome for lots of things!!! I buy it at Target for about $9 I think.

Let me know what you all think. I think it's a gem. Wish I would have had this for my 95 SC400 I had back in the day...my headlights looked terrible!

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...?T1=MEG+G12310
Scdroptop,
whats the process u recommend for getting the best results? is it better to do this by hand or to use a buffer? thanks in advance.
Old 10-25-09, 10:22 PM
scdroptop

Get two towels and lightly dampen one of them-use microfiber polishing clothes if you can. Target sells them for $5/4pk. Apply with the damp, let sit for a little bit and buff out by hand with the dry one. Be careful not to get on the paint of the hood/bumper.

Repeat process. You may have to rub harder/longer if you have deeper discoloration or scratches. I played around with letting it sit on there for a while like a wax and it was fine...but start off conservatively if you have never done it.
Old 10-26-09, 08:29 AM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Get two towels and lightly dampen one of them-use microfiber polishing clothes if you can. Target sells them for $5/4pk. Apply with the damp, let sit for a little bit and buff out by hand with the dry one.
So I assume it's not necessary to buy their headlight restoration kit, which includes a small microfiber (I assume) buffer for your drill, along with a bottle of PlastX? Elbow grease sounds like it's enough.

Thanks for the great info. Only one of my headlights has hazed (strange), so I'm headed to Target today.
Old 10-26-09, 08:45 AM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

care to post some before/after pics?
Old 10-26-09, 09:07 AM
antigeek
Pole Position

Great idea -- I'll do that tonight, I hope.
Old 10-26-09, 01:42 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

PLASTX is available at PepBoys for 7.99/bottle. It works great, used it on my RX's rear taillights, outstanding results. Just a marvelous product that actually does what it says it will do !
Old 10-26-09, 07:17 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

I found PlastX (10 oz. bottle) at Walmart for $5.24!

Yup, I squeak.
At least my sway bar bushings done -- greased those last week.

Quick Reply: Headlights Scratched or Discolored? Use This!