SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

bad news ... got into an accident

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-09, 08:13 PM
dh784123
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much will they cover for me for a rental car? something equivalent to the value of my car? or just a set $per day limit which the other person pays for?
Old 10-27-09, 09:29 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How come you don't have CA license plates if you bought your car 9 months ago? The car still has temporary dealer tags.
Old 10-27-09, 09:37 PM
dh784123
Driver

Originally Posted by TooCoolSC
How come you don't have CA license plates if you bought your car 9 months ago? The car still has temporary dealer tags.
lol.. the plates are in the trunk. After getting one of those $500 red light camera tickets with my other car, i am willing to risk driving around without plates and get a $25 fix it ticket than a $500 red light camera ticket.

as long as i keep my car looking clean (which i do), people think the car is a brand new 2010 SC.
Old 10-28-09, 04:19 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After the repair, I think your car will be worth 33k, that accident will hurt you in the wallet. Glad you were not hurt, hate to see a gorgeous PB involved in any accident.
Old 10-28-09, 07:19 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dh784123
lol.. the plates are in the trunk. After getting one of those $500 red light camera tickets with my other car, i am willing to risk driving around without plates and get a $25 fix it ticket than a $500 red light camera ticket.
Just get a photoshield cover. It obscures the plate from an angle, but no distortion from straight on, meaning that the red light camera can't see it, but the cop behind you can. No ticket at all!

how much will they cover for me for a rental car? something equivalent to the value of my car? or just a set $per day limit which the other person pays for?
If you are going under your own policy, that is in the contract. If you are going against the other driver's insurance, that may be something you have to hassle over if since they will argue that an econo box provides the same transportation. A good counter argument is that you need something with equal safety features to the SC, including ABS, electronic stability control, etc. That will usually get you bumped up a few grades.

Originally Posted by chauss
Make sure you get a loss of value payout from the insurance company included in your settlement. Some insurance companies automatically do this - some do not. But you are more than entitled to it since your vehicle is worth less after being repaired than it was before the accident.
If you go under your own policy, this is probably waived by your policy as is the right to demand OEM parts, and the right to demand new parts. If you go against the other driver, you can get diminution in value, which some cases put at 10% for a big crash like this.

Unfortunately, you may have to file a lawsuit to get all that you are entitled to.
Old 10-28-09, 09:24 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

about the loss of value payout, how much do you think it'll be? what do i do? just ask for it? or do i gotta bother them for it? im insured by state farm.
talk to your insurance agent and ask them to go after the other guy's insurance for it. same with the rental car. when you're in an accident and it's not your fault, your agent will work for you to make sure you get everything you deserve.
Old 10-28-09, 10:39 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Just get a photoshield cover. It obscures the plate from an angle, but no distortion from straight on, meaning that the red light camera can't see it, but the cop behind you can. No ticket at all!
I see there are a couple of other options there as well, one being a clear spray on product that reflects light.
Old 10-28-09, 12:31 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TooCoolSC
I see there are a couple of other options there as well, one being a clear spray on product that reflects light.
...and doesn't work worth a crap. I tried it. OTOH, the shield works so well that Virginia where I live passed a law against having any cover over the plate, as did the District of Columbia which set the automatic fine at $500 to encourage compliance.

I know the cover works cuz once I definitely got "flashed" and never received the ticket. It took awhile for the cops to learn of the new law, but I started getting pulled over too much for the cover so I gave up.
Old 10-28-09, 02:57 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
...and doesn't work worth a crap. I tried it. OTOH, the shield works so well that Virginia where I live passed a law against having any cover over the plate, as did the District of Columbia which set the automatic fine at $500 to encourage compliance.

I know the cover works cuz once I definitely got "flashed" and never received the ticket. It took awhile for the cops to learn of the new law, but I started getting pulled over too much for the cover so I gave up.
Thanks for the info, because the videos and pictures make the spray stuff look pretty good. Not that I would be interested in any of these things.
Old 10-28-09, 04:00 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.... glad to hear that your ok

let me know if you end up getting it totaled
Old 10-28-09, 07:36 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Here are the facts..

as long as i keep my car looking clean (which i do), people think the car is a brand new 2010 SC.
You are entitled to LKQ--Like Kind and Quality for your rental..in other words..you own a luxury car-you are owed a luxury rental.

I am an adjuster of 20 years..so I know.

Diminished value.. that is your right to claim, as you now have structural damages that has diminished the car .

What you have to do is go get a quote from a dealer--asking what he would pay for you car if there was never any accident damages- vs. repaired accident damages.Get it in writing from several dealers..then you have proof to document your claim.It will hold up in a court of law..

Value of your car.. get a good market survey done. Do the research, find you car--as close as possible, on the web ( Auto Trader-Cars.com etc).. and, then submit your info to your carrier or to the other carrier.

I have fought and won these battles all the time..If you feel that your carrier or the other carrier low ball you on repairs or or replacement.. you have lots of ways to fight this. Also, get quotes to repair the car at the best shops you can find. A vehicle totals out at approximately 70% of its Actual Cash Value. Total loss cars will not be repaired. If you want the car totaled out.. again-- go to a high end shop to get your repair estimate.

If you want more info on how to go about this.. PM to me.
AZKATY
Old 10-29-09, 08:05 PM
dh784123
Driver

Default Update!

got the call today from the other driver's insurance company (mercury) saying that they their driver was at fault.

i told them i wanted to get a rental and have them pay for it. they first told me theyll offer me $40 a day, but i told them im entitled to a car that is the same kind and quality of my 07 sc430. they told me theyll call me back (which they did in about 10 minutes), and offer me $68.20 + tax per day for a car.

i also notified them that i will want to recover the diminished value of the car. and they said they said they would send someone out to take a look at the car. im sure theyre gonna low ball me, but im gonna get an accident attorney and push for at least $4-5,000

i also have some pain my neck and back, and will be going to the dr. tomorrow.
Old 10-30-09, 10:15 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

got the call today from the other driver's insurance company (mercury) saying that they their driver was at fault.

i told them i wanted to get a rental and have them pay for it. they first told me theyll offer me $40 a day, but i told them im entitled to a car that is the same kind and quality of my 07 sc430. they told me theyll call me back (which they did in about 10 minutes), and offer me $68.20 + tax per day for a car.

i also notified them that i will want to recover the diminished value of the car. and they said they said they would send someone out to take a look at the car. im sure theyre gonna low ball me, but im gonna get an accident attorney and push for at least $4-5,000

i also have some pain my neck and back, and will be going to the dr. tomorrow.
Great job with all your follow-up, Stick to your guns and don't let up, remember the insurance company is only watching their bottom line, not your back
Old 10-30-09, 06:40 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Great advice azkaty! I hope I never need that information, but if I do, I hope that I can remember it.

dh, I'm glad you are going to get yourself checked out. Wreck injuries often don't show up the first several days, sometimes it takes even longer than that and if you don't get the issue taken care of, it can become chronic.