SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Vaistech installation: Ideas to put your unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-09, 10:03 AM
scdroptop
Forum Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Pics of where the Vais goes

To answer some questions and illustrate about the Vais and install locations and if you can fit other stuff in there:

1) Behind the heated seat controls is DEFINITELY where I would put it! for several reasons, mainly to get to it if there are any problems and the heated seat control unit just pops out with your hands-no tools needed!
2) You can easily fit the largest iPod in there...my little nano was swimming in there...3G, old school "brick" iPod 1st Gen 20GB whatever. Lots of room
3) My Ipod is located in the center console (lower compartment) and a tiny hole was drilled next to the 12v plug. Concealed, clean and out of the way.

Hopefully this and the pics help. This really helps "update" the SC with many other later 2000's vehicles that have ipod plugs, aux plugs, etc.

If you have a 2002-2004 you can get the SLU model by Vais and just plug in the Aux cable like many cars have today stock. No steering wheel controls like this unit, but still a worthwhile mod/investment if you love your iPod and don't do old school cd's. No direct iPod plug in for the older nav systems, only the 2005+ can use the SL2i-UP like I have.
Attached Thumbnails Vaistech installation: Ideas to put your unit-photo1.jpg   Vaistech installation: Ideas to put your unit-photo2.jpg   Vaistech installation: Ideas to put your unit-photo3.jpg  
Old 11-07-09, 10:41 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for the pix -- that really helps. Great clean install. Did you remove the cigarette lighter to get the connector through and then re-install it?
Old 11-07-09, 10:45 AM
scdroptop
Forum Moderator

thx-no he didn't. Just drilled-it's to the right of it little hole just big enough to get the cord through. I laughed about your post for your nav lady's bday. you gotta get a SL2
Old 11-07-09, 04:30 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Thanks for the pictures scdroptop. Those do help. I don't suppose that the cable connections are reachable from that spot, are they? It would be nice if the entire setup could be done from there without having to pull the rest of the console and radio out!
Old 11-07-09, 05:12 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, I finally got my VML exchanged for a SL2i-UP. I followed everyone's lead and installed the box just below and next to the seat heater module. No drama it fit just fine. The VML had just a USB cable and I had routed it into the arm rest but the SL2i has the much larger iPod connector. I have an iTouch that I want to see while driving but I don't really want to punch holes yet.

The first picture shows the cable exiting between the carpet and the center console. There is just, and I mean just, enough room to do this without cutting a hole. I like that. Since the cable is pretty long I have plenty of cord to move the iTouch around and to even hand hold it by the driver or passenger. The excess cable just lays between the seat and console out of the way and out of sight.

Plenty of cord:

I have a silicone skin so the iTouch really stays wherever you put it so I've been experimenting:

Since the iTouch auto-rotates its image I can see the display conveniently from any place that I set it down to suit the moment. Since I don't have any holes I can reverse all of this and "upgrade" if I see something else I like later. Oh, and as everyone else has noted the SLI2-UP does kill the "I agree" hassle. I like using the iTouch in "Simple" mode to be able to use the iTouch screen for selections. The steering wheel and radio controls still allow me to skip forward and backwards in simple mode. I don't see any way to play/pause though. I haven't found play/pause whether I'm in simple mode or not. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Last edited by Bon; 11-07-09 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-07-09, 06:56 PM
scdroptop
Forum Moderator

congrats! Great news you got it changed out. A lot of these mods are personal preference where you put the unit and have the ipod come out.

In simple mode you should be able to move your tracks play, stop, etc on the iPod touch itself. I don't think you can in simple mode---or at least I didn't notice I could on my old school nano.
Old 03-26-10, 04:33 PM
scrdstr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had a Vaistech SL2iup installed in my car. As scdroptop did i had the installer put it right under the seat heater control panel. I put the ipod in the lower center console. It works just fine but you can only have 99 song playlists with it in CD emulation. I was reading a post somewhere else where someone had the emulation changed to MD and was able to have much larger playlists, I believe you can have 999 songs. But it also says in the instructions to make sure you use the right emulation or the head unit may not recognize it. My question is, asuming you have CD and not MD has anyone tried to change the dip switches on the unit to MD emulation? if someone has and it doesn't work I won't bother to try and change mine then. Otherwise I will change it and let you know how and if it works. Good thing I have it where its easy to get at. Has anyone any creative thoughts on how to recognize playlists other than disc 1,2 and so on?