SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Vaistech installation: Ideas to put your unit

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-09, 04:04 PM
daryltrinh
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Vaistech installation: Ideas to put your unit

I just got my '03 SC430 about a month ago to replace my '08 GS350.

The one feature I miss is the auxiliary input for my MP3 player.

I'm looking for ideas as to where you can put the Vaistech SLU unit while keeping it hidden.

I currently have it right under the ML head unit and I'm cautious of overheating it.

Any ideas?

Thx CL members.

Last edited by daryltrinh; 10-30-09 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-30-09, 06:40 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

^^^ lexus dealer just installed mine sideways behind it with a bracket and soft velcro so it doesn't have a metal on metal sound if it were to move. I asked...no pics (sorry) but I think you can imagine it. This way it is secured but not blocking any venting of ML.

Also, per the instructions manual, here is what they show (from vaistech.com)
Attached Thumbnails Vaistech installation: Ideas to put your unit-vaisinstall.jpg  
Old 10-30-09, 06:42 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I have an '02 and I installed my SLU unit in the console near the forward side of the shifter unit sitting flat on the floor with the aux connections pointing to the rear. It wedged very nicely with no side to side motion or rattles. The cables are wire-tied under the ML head. The cable ties effectively anchor the SLU in the fore/aft direction.

I also attached a Harmon/Kardon play+drive to one of the aux plugs for IPOD control. I placed the H/K head unit in the bottom of the glove box with the IPOD. Have not experienced any overheating.

Good luck with your installation.

Last edited by Poqman; 10-30-09 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-31-09, 09:34 AM
scdroptop

Just had mine installed and it fits perfectly right behind the heated seat module! It's almost like it was made to fit there!!! . They wrapped it in foam anti slip paper so it doesn't move or make any noise if it does on a hard corner or speed bump. Very easy!!!! I should have installed but he did say my stereo was a beast to take out.
Old 10-31-09, 10:24 AM
daryltrinh
Driver

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Just had mine installed and it fits perfectly right behind the heated seat module! It's almost like it was made to fit there!!! . They wrapped it in foam anti slip paper so it doesn't move or make any noise if it does on a hard corner or speed bump. Very easy!!!! I should have installed but he did say my stereo was a beast to take out.
Do you mean within the armrest box or right under the heated seat controls?
Any pics?

Thx scdroptop.

Last edited by daryltrinh; 10-31-09 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-31-09, 11:20 AM
scdroptop

Right under the heat seat controls. That small piece/module pops out and there is enough room just to slide the Vais right in there. I can take some pics tomorrow or later today when I clean her up.
Old 10-31-09, 04:55 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Right under the heat seat controls. That small piece/module pops out and there is enough room just to slide the Vais right in there. I can take some pics tomorrow or later today when I clean her up.
That's where the extremely smart guy who did mine put it. It also provides for easy no tool in/out when it needs to get sent back to Vais for firmware updates.
Old 10-31-09, 06:15 PM
scdroptop

was that smart guy you johnnycake? he he

That's what my installer said. Just pop out the seat heater module (one second, two hands gently pull) and voila! You have instant access. He didn't even unplug the wiring harness to it. It fits perfectly.
Old 11-04-09, 12:46 PM
daryltrinh
Driver

That's what my installer said. Just pop out the seat heater module (one second, two hands gently pull) and voila! You have instant access. He didn't even unplug the wiring harness to it. It fits perfectly.
For my model (2003), the car cigarette lighter of the center console gets in the way.
Old 11-04-09, 03:33 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

The seat heater control module is where I hid my Blitz throttle controller brain. I hid the sirus sat tuner and the vias module inside the floor of the console . I made a bracket up to hold it and I have all of the metal boxs grounded to eliminate any noise. If any one opens there console there is a 2 wire connector that plugs into to a plastic female socket that has no contacts in it. When I did my install I went nutz trying to find where this connector went. Turns out it goes no where other then just plug it into a socket which is on teh bottom of the console top. I believe this wire connector is for what they call it in the UK [ May day device ] I think its a cell phone opperated like north star. They offered it some model years and then discontinued it. They did have it here in the USA but phased it out. In any event its a connector that was prewired in the harness and you dont need it. I think according to the shop manual it leads to the navigation unit in the trunk where you will find the other end not connected to anything as well

Buddy
Old 11-04-09, 08:26 PM
scdroptop

^^^wow, good stuff buddy. great find! What does the Blitz throttle control unit do for you?
Old 11-05-09, 05:58 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

The blitz throttle control allow you to have 3 settings controlable from a small opperating panel. [ In my case I put it in the ash tray so I can close it and no one knows that its there

What it does is increase the sensitivity of your throttle . It basicaly allow you to press on the gas pedal as you allways do but the travel of the gas pedal is more sensitive. It eliminates the lag that some of us experience when mashing the pedal. Its debatable if it it really makes a diiferance. I find the car is more fun to drive since the gas pedal is more sensitive the car responds faster. Its kind of like you need to experience it for your self. Its really a plug an play device . The throttle connector is located above the gas pedal. You just unplug it and plug in the blitz harness and replug the harness back into the system. Hide the brain controller in my case i hid that under the seat heat module. I then custom installed the control panel into the ash tray . Unit costs around $ 325.00

Buddy [ the link wont work for some reason do a search for blitz throttle controller you will find it ]

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...eration-5.html

Last edited by mrblister; 11-05-09 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-05-09, 06:14 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Nope, he's actually a video star.

I'm thinking of getting the Vais iPod unit mostly because it will defeat the I AGREE and will be an easy daisy-chain install with the Vais Sirius unit.

Where did you put the iPod? Wonder if both will fit in the heater module area. I haven't looked there recently.
Old 11-05-09, 09:59 PM
scdroptop

I put the ipod in the lower middle console. I just leave it in forever. It's an old beater 8MG workhorse nano. I am about to upgrade my 3G iphone to the 3GS so I will use my iPhone 3G in my infiniti, and promote the nice nano in there to the Lexus and retire the old beater nano or let my four year old listen to Beyonce all day on it!!

I know that my nano fits in the heated seat module...yes. I know that my other nano the 3rd gen fits too. I don't believe an IPhone or Touch would fit---maybe too long? The Vais unit fits great because it's a square.
Old 11-06-09, 09:45 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

I put the ipod in the lower middle console. I just leave it in forever. It's an old beater 8MG workhorse nano.
So you drilled a hole between the heater control area and the lower middle console? Or did you run it in the cigarette lighter hole?

I didn't think of putting the nano in the heater control area. Wonder whether I will be able to get that in as well as the VAIS ipod controller and the VAIS Sirius controller.

Quick Reply: Vaistech installation: Ideas to put your unit