Door-sill aluminum insert removel

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-09, 02:45 PM
dag8882
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door-sill aluminum insert removel

CL,
any1 out there know how to remove the Door-sill aluminum insert (the piece that lights-up 'Lexus' on the lower door-sill) if any1 has pics as to how to remove this piece, even better but if not instructions alone will suffice. reason i ask; is cause today i went for a cruise in my sister's 2010 Cadillac SRX and the Door-sill aluminum inserts glow in a blueish LED kinda hue,looks great. so im thinking of replacing mine in the SC. Also, would any1 happen to know what size LED bulb id need to complete this mod? thanks once again peeps, look forward to reading some responses.

-Dave
Old 11-04-09, 03:06 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

The door sills are just held in with clips just gently pry up from one end front or back use a wide thin screw driver cover the end with tape. Or use a plastic trim removal tool or a putty knife . As soon as you feel one clip release just keep working it around. Once its up
you will find a connector that you unplug and then you can remove the sill. The connector may have a release tab on it that you may have to press in order to remove the connector from the fixture. Take your time. Easy peezy

Buddy
Old 11-04-09, 04:42 PM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually tried to do this mod but couldn't figure out how to get to the LED (was able to remove the part, just couldn't get at the darn bulb). It looks like the entire thing is sealed air tight. Let us know how you do...
Old 11-04-09, 05:00 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dag8882
CL,
any1 out there know how to remove the Door-sill aluminum insert (the piece that lights-up 'Lexus' on the lower door-sill) if any1 has pics as to how to remove this piece, even better but if not instructions alone will suffice. reason i ask; is cause today i went for a cruise in my sister's 2010 Cadillac SRX and the Door-sill aluminum inserts glow in a blueish LED kinda hue,looks great. so im thinking of replacing mine in the SC. Also, would any1 happen to know what size LED bulb id need to complete this mod? thanks once again peeps, look forward to reading some responses.

-Dave
I believe the 2002 Neiman Marcus was the only SC with the blue inserts. Don't know if they are available at the parts counter, never saw them offered on Ebay. Good luck with your mod
Old 11-04-09, 05:05 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

I've seen the blue on eBay!!! Couldn't have been from a NM car, though?? Here is a link to some new sills maybe they can order the blue?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...Q5fAccessories
Old 11-04-09, 05:11 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scdroptop
I've seen the blue on eBay!!! Couldn't have been from a NM car, though?? Here is a link to some new sills maybe they can order the blue?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...Q5fAccessories
Good catch my friend, never thought to go to the Soarer index of parts. Wonder if Lexus parts would sell you NM sills without your VIN # ??
Old 11-04-09, 05:26 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

I bought a set of neiman marcus NEW blue sills from an ebay vendor . My car is the 2005 pebble beach red sills. I thought it would look great with blue . I never got around to installing them I will look at them tomorrow I thought that the bulbs were regular bulbs coated blue I will report after I check them. When I bought them the seller told me that lexus would only sell him the sills if he actually owned the NM model . I just wanted them and I paid a pretty penny for them . I figure they are a good investment . The seller told me he bought the set brand new because his wife allways draged her heels across the face of the sills and his OEM sills were getting scratched . He wound up selling the car and I was able to buy the spare new set from him for $ 286.00 still wrapped in there original paper .

Buddy

Last edited by mrblister; 11-06-09 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-04-09, 05:43 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrblister
I bought a set of neiman marcus NEW blue sills form an ebay vendor . My car is the 2005 pebbel beach red sills. I thought it would look great with blue . I never got around to installing them I will look at them tomorrow I thought that the bulbs were regular bulbs coated blue I will report after I check them. When I bought them the seller told me that lexus would only sell him the sills if he actually owned the NM model . I just wanted them and I paid a pretty penny for them . I figure they are a good investment . The seller told me he bought the set brand new because his wife allways draged her heels across the face of the sills and his OEM sills were getting scratched . He wound up selling the car and I was able to buy the spare new set from him for $ 286.00 still wrapped in there original paper .

Buddy
You have made a fantastic investment, only 100 built, and parts so scarce!! You would have the only PB on the planet if you installed those NM sills
Old 11-04-09, 05:45 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Hey SCDROPTOP, would you put the NM sills in Ebony?? Just wondering ??
Old 11-04-09, 05:51 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

I would and I will wait till spring I am going to try them out.
Old 11-04-09, 05:55 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrblister
I would and I will wait till spring I am going to try them out.
Some pics please after your mod ! Wow, can't wait
Old 11-04-09, 05:57 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

You got it i might just do it now this weekend the car sits in its garage all winter i only drive when i can put the top down

buddy
Old 11-04-09, 08:24 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

ohhhh man! mrblister has a candyland of pb toys he's got...we need to change his username to PB Toys (like the old KB Toys, RIP!)

I would absolutely put the blue sills in Ebony. That would be sweet. I am totally decking this car out with lighting upgrades (nothing crazy, tastefull).

If you can upgrade/update with OEM---even better!
Old 11-05-09, 04:45 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scdroptop
ohhhh man! mrblister has a candyland of pb toys he's got...we need to change his username to PB Toys (like the old KB Toys, RIP!)

I would absolutely put the blue sills in Ebony. That would be sweet. I am totally decking this car out with lighting upgrades (nothing crazy, tastefull).

If you can upgrade/update with OEM---even better!
Hey man, after seeing the toys in your garage, you could be PB Toys or SC Toys !!
Old 11-05-09, 05:33 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

I accept the enw title PB rules

Quick Reply: Door-sill aluminum insert removel