SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Any deals on extended warranties from Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-09 | 04:12 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

I am not sure what you mean by used . His only requirment was that my car had to be under current factory lexus warranty . I had 30 days left and we set the warranty to kick in on the day before my OEM warranty ran out. If you have a used lexus that is not under a factory warranty then I guess that is what is meant by a used car, Then his warranty would not apply .

Buddy
Old 11-08-09 | 04:55 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

"Used" is the term that the Lexus financial guy used for the policy. The only requirement was that the Lexus vehicle had less than 70kmi and 2002 or younger. I bought the car when it was 4 years old and got an extended Lexus Platinum warranty on it then, which would carry it out to 75kmi or another 3 years. That policy ran out this summer ('09). This new warranty is available for folks whose extended warranty has run out but still meets the above criteria.
Old 11-08-09 | 05:12 PM
scdroptop

Harold-I think the warranty you are talking about is this new one. Lexus also lowered their requirements for CPO at the same time if you noticed...I think it is 6 years 70k miles now for a CPO when it used to be 5 years 60k (I believe).

Smart by Lexus? Maybe...gives owners and enthusiasts a piece of mind. Especially ole "die hard" SC'ers like us who do not want to let go of our babies. This is in essence a little fountain of youth for our cars---expensive though.
Old 11-08-09 | 06:27 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

^^^Yes, that is correct. This policy was just introduced in the last 3 months.
Old 11-09-09 | 08:12 AM
DDLexus
Racer

so, will "Lexus of XYZ" sell these warranties to anyone who bought a Lexus car, regardless of from who and where? As long as it is less than 70k miles and newer than a 2002?

Who at Lexus should you talk to? Service Adviser? Sales Person?

What price tag are we talking about and does it exclude NAV system, audio speakers, suspension components, ball joints, or anything else that commonly fails?
Old 11-09-09 | 12:21 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I talked to a guy at Park Place Plano Lexus (Ty in finance, I believe?). I listed the price tags on the first page of this thread. It is bumper to bumper Platinum warranty, just as before.
Old 11-10-09 | 09:04 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

It seems like Troy is the best price. He wants for a Platinum with 0 deductible

3 years 75k - $1665 4 years 75K - $1880

I don't put many miles on the car. Purchased May 2006 brand new. I only have 11,500 miles, so 75000 mile extended is fine for me.
I questioned him about him being a Toyota dealer and would the EXxended Warranty paperwork show Toyota or Lexus. He said the paperwork would show it as a Lexus Extended Warranty, not Toyota. He can purchase both.
As for someone posting Webargain4u site below, they were high.
3 years 75k - $1920 4 years 75k - $2181
Ray Cantena in NJ wanted 3 yr 75k-$1800, 4 yr 75K - $2000.
So when I am ready, it looks like it will be Troy for me.
I have until April 2010 to decide as my original warranty runs out in May 2010.
Old 11-10-09 | 09:51 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Harold-I think the warranty you are talking about is this new one. Lexus also lowered their requirements for CPO at the same time if you noticed...I think it is 6 years 70k miles now for a CPO when it used to be 5 years 60k (I believe).

Smart by Lexus? Maybe...gives owners and enthusiasts a piece of mind. Especially ole "die hard" SC'ers like us who do not want to let go of our babies. This is in essence a little fountain of youth for our cars---expensive though.
You mean raised it I assume? As my dealer has a few CPO cars from 62k to 68k miles.
Old 11-10-09 | 06:13 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

I told you Troy was the best deal out there
Old 11-16-09 | 08:19 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Your links were quite useful scdroptop, thanks!

Here's an update and my take on the various choices (from my perspective of owning a used SC430 already and needing/wanting to add a warranty).

Webargain4u requires the vehicle to be under the OEM warranty at the time of puchase. So I couldn't utilize this one as my previous extended warranty ran out in August.

Autoprotection uses high pressure sales tactics, but offers good prices and will knock them down and lengthen the period (miles or time) if you push them (stoprepairbills.com). However, the finance guy trying to close the sale was quite belligerent and fairly rude and used high pressure, time share-like tactics. I told him that I don't make any quick decisions that require an answer based on "now or never". (He got a bit angry from that statement.)

Extended warranty via Paragon sales various policies using different companies. They have decent prices and are much nicer to work with, even pleasant. (I talked to Rodney.) The policies that they told me about didn't not include any $0 deductible plans though (& I asked) but they did have a $50 deductible plan as the lowest one that administrator offered. If they had a longer than 4 year / 48kmi warranty, I probably would have gone with them. This warranty could be used at any repair facility, including Lexus.

The Lexus plan pricing I mentioned earlier in this thread was the "retail price", I just found out. I used the above pricing to request a lower price. They dropped their "retail price" by over 10%. This policy is the same bumper to bumper policy as the platinum warranties of the extended warranty Lexus offers. The limitation here is that it is only good at Lexus dealers. It is cancellable and transferable though.

Things to look out for when you go warranty shopping:
<> Check on whether the policy administrator insists on aftermarket parts or allows Lexus OEM parts as the first choice.
<> Check on what shops that the policy is accepted.
<> Check on whether the policy will cover the posted going labor rates, including the going Lexus labor rate of $125 / hour (I may be in the wrong business!).
<> Ask what the claim threshold is. This is the dollar threshold where if the estimate falls above that level, an inspector has to come out to the facility to verify and approve it before the repairs can be made (this can be longer than a day or two).
<> Determine whether it is an inclusionary (small list of covered items) or exclusionary (small list of non-covered items) policy. Then determine what is not being covered.
<> Make sure the underwriter and administrator have good reputations and are accepted by the shop where you take your car to the most.
<> Most of them offer payments in some variation of a 10% down payment with 18 payments with 0%.
<> Other features to check on and get details on are: road hazard, towing, rent car, per diem if you are far from home.

Just in case you are curious, I decided to stick with the Lexus policy to get the extra year and 12kmi of warranty at this price scheme.

I hope that helps anyone else in the hunt.
Old 11-16-09 | 09:19 PM
scdroptop

What a great write up Harold!!! Glad you found one that worked out. You certainly did your research! I had a hunch that the Lexus warranty would win, no matter what the price. After all, we want the best for our garage queens, don't we?

At the end of the day, I see some value in using the dealers (not for everything), but there is a piece of mind that these are trained, certified and familiar with your car professionals that can catch things and know things that your average mechanic may not know. I know you pay a pretty price--but sometimes it's worth it. Not everything, but some services/parts/warranty are just better off bought at the dealer. One side note: At our dealer in Dallas, you seem to get a premium car wash when you have a higher priced Lexus (SC, LX, LS) versus the IS/ES/RX, maybe just a coincidence, but also another factor is when I had the platinum warranty and CPO my cars were always returned practically fully detailed!!! When we had my wifes Rx it was dripping wet and barely cleaned. Always love the loaner cars and having the opportunity to drive a four door sedan on rainy days or for longer trips for work (I plan this!) with the loaners!

You will enjoy it--now you have the fun task of getting your monies worth!