SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Any deals on extended warranties from Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-09 | 04:36 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Default Any deals on extended warranties from Lexus?

I cannot find the thread but I remember there was a Lexus dealer in the Notheast (I think) that was selling extended warranties at a great price.
I have a 2006 with 11,000 miles that will be out of warranty in May 2010.
I plan to keep this one probably for at least 6 more years after that
and was wondering if I should go for the extended warranty? I already had the struts replaced under warranty. I know how expensive repairs are for this auto. Any thoughts and suggestions?
Thanks.
Old 11-07-09 | 04:59 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Go for an extended warranty. Wow, you certainly haven't driven your SC very much. ML speakers are expensive along with any roof repairs, nav is 3500!! Good Luck
Old 11-07-09 | 06:54 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

TOYOTA OF GREENVILLE
TROY DIETIRICH
DIRECT 1 413 772 0989
FAX 1 413 774 8519

HE got me me a 7 year warranty for $ 1590.00 It is same warranty as offered at any Lexus dealership PLatinuum

75,000.00 miles ZERO DEDUCTABLE AND IS TRANSFERIBLE FOR A $ 50.00 FEE

I went for the 7 year which is really just 3 more years more over your factory warranty and 25,000 miles more. The milage was not a problem for me . My car will allways have low mileage , I only drive when I can put the top down .
Old 11-07-09 | 09:02 AM
scdroptop

I have preached about the Lexus Extended Service Plans for a while now and personally benefitted from several of them. Most recently my 2002 SC with 29k miles...bought the ESP in Jul 2006 when it was about to go out of factory warranty. I bought the 3 year 75k miles extension, which is what mrblister is talking about (7year/75k) for $1800 at dealer. I didn't think about going to a Toyota dealer, but after all Toyota is the mother ship! I TOTALLY think it is a tremendous value.

Just an example: Motor Mounts-$1800...Transmission Mounts-$875...ML Speakers $500-$1200 for the subwoofer. I replaced five speakers in my 2002!!! I totalled my repair bills that I racked up over the course of the 3 years I had my 2002 SC with super low miles and it was well over $5k for warranty repairs. This more than paid for the warranty!!! I know, I know many people say they have never had problems on the SC, maybe I am the unlucky one or maybe my R&B and classic soul music choices blows the speakers (doubt it) but either way, ML speakers do regularly go out. Rear trunk struts, motor mounts, transmission mounts, navigation, cd changer reading ERROR 5 on it, etc etc. I also replaced my head unit on the ML system twice (forgot about that)!! Replaced control arm and bushings and tie rods too. My car was a garage queen!! Which actually after learning more about these cars owning my second, I think I am going to drive it more.

My two cents...if you can get the ESP for under $2k you are doing great! Go for the Platinum Warrany...I believe that is what mrblister has and it is what I had. No deductible, they cover practically everything. And-if you have a great dealer they will turn squeaks and rattles (speakers, top noise, etc) into a "malfunction" code on warranty so they can replace stuff. Otherwise, normal squeaks and rattles are not covered. I had the $875 one piece top trim/seal replaced because of wind noise.

I only hope that when my CPO runs out in 3 years that I can too buy an ESP on my 2005

Here are some helpful links about the ESP's:

http://www.lexusfinancial.com/consum...pg_VSAOverview
Old 11-07-09 | 04:44 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Do any of you know where to get lower price used platinum warranties. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, Lexus now sells warranties warranties for cars under 70kmi & 9 years old for the following.

2 yr, 24kmiles $2600 ($1300 / yr)
3 yr, 36kmiles $3250 ($1083 / yr)
4 yr, 50kmiles $3775 ($944 / yr)
5 yr, 60kmiles $4200 ($840 / yr)

I've got an '02 with about 65kmi on it and my previous extended warranty ran out this summer. It would be nice to add the 5 yr 60kmi warrnaty on but I sure would rather pay less than $4200 for it!
Old 11-07-09 | 06:15 PM
EddierRo
Driver

Will this warranty cover other makes and models?
Old 11-07-09 | 06:49 PM
scdroptop

Harold-I don't think your car can be extended once it is out---I asked about my 2002 which expired also this summer in July and Sewell said no.

I would think with this economy dealers would be happy to make an exception...try around...Sewell/PP-maybe try Toyota of Dallas, Toyota of Richardson/Plano, etc. Just a thought.
Old 11-07-09 | 08:45 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Actually, it will scdroptop. I questioned the finance guy at length at PP and was extremely specific about my car and he made it very clear, this warranty is for any used SC430 (or Lexus for that matter) that has less than 70kmi and is a 2002 or younger. For some reason, Sewell didn't know what I was talking about back then (I haven't called back since) and that makes me a little nervous. But the guy at PP was serious and ready to write me up a contract. I've been dragging my feet to extend the warranty out a little farther while I don't have problems, but, of course, the longer I wait the more nervous I get that Lexus may back out of it.

BTW, this warranty is new as of August '09, I believe. (I'd have to go back and check my emails, but I believe that is correct.)
Old 11-07-09 | 09:42 PM
scdroptop

Ah, that explains it. I have a much better relationship with Sewell and questioned them at length with specifics (VIN, mileage, year, etc) and they told me they would love to make an exception but they tried and the regional Lexus service manager who is over the gulf coast denied our application. This is one of the reasons I sold my 2002. I saw the $5k+ in repairs I got done over the course of three years of ownership under warranty and wondering what other issues might be lurking? You mentioned you were concerned about the same--the unknown of what could happen.

At PP, I just asked my buddy who sells used cars. He is the same guy that didn't know the 2006+ was different! Maybe I should have asked someone else. I also remember calling LFS and asking. They told me the standard.

Maybe you could go middle of the road? Get the 2 year, and bring it in like crazy for every little thing for the next two years to get your moneys' worth? Two more years would give you a piece of mind, also buy you some time to decide if you are going to keep this car FOREVER or perhaps the new 2011 SC will be out by then or perhaps you would have a change of heart about a IS-C or G37 convertible or another car entirely?

I see the value in the $800/year but DAMN $4200 for a warranty is a lot. Remember, I paid $1850 for my original 3 year/75k Lexus Platinum Warranty back in 2006. You might have too. I would definitely check around. I can ask my guy at Sewell for you. His name is Mel Warren. 214-353-2105 Tell him you are a friend of Derek Shea, or PM me with your VIN, mileage, etc and I'll be glad to check with him for you.

On a side note, after I sold my SC I later found out that my 02 was one of the first ones made back in August of 2001 production date. I wonder if "first model syndrome" got me? I read somewhere that the first ones were built by hand...mmmm?

At any rate, I would go for it, honestly. Look at my 2005 PB with 36k and what I just got covered under CPO. You never know. Can you
Old 11-08-09 | 05:08 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

So far, I received a quote from Ray Cantena Lexus in NJ. He said my Sc 430 is considred a level 3 car. He quoted me 4 years (for a total of 8 with orig warranty) and 75,000 miles for $2000.
He quoted 3 years for $1800. He couldn't quote me a 50,000 3 or 4 year Extended. I only average about 4k per year. Still awaiting from 3 others including Troy mentioned below. One thing I don't understand is if I purchase the Platinum Warranty from a Toyota dealer, will I have a problem bring it to Lexus for repair? Yes, I know they are the same company but I can just see the Lexus dealer giving me a hassle about that. Obviously, price is the major factor here and I believe the guy from Toyota will be the cheapest. I just don't want to be hassled by the lexus dealer right next door telling me to bring it to the Toyota dealer you bought the warranty from..

Last edited by abbeyrd; 11-08-09 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-08-09 | 06:57 AM
scdroptop

abbeyrd-I am with you...just my luck I'd buy the toyota and my picky lexus dealer would be a snob about it. I would HOPE not, but that is something I would DEFINITELY talk to the Lexus dealer about. Additionally, if your local friendly toyota dealer is cheaper, go back with the quote to Lexus and ask them to match it! I have done this so many times and they do it almost 100% with no questions asked.

It sounds like your quote from Ray Cantena is the same one I bought. Platinum, no deductible, 3 years/75k miles for $1800-$2000. I don't think that if you car is OUT of warranty and is older (i.e. 2002, 2003) you can get the same rate.

I wonder about my CPO in three years?
Old 11-08-09 | 08:04 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Thanks Derek, I'll give him a call. Maybe they've received "the memo" by now.
Old 11-08-09 | 11:42 AM
scdroptop

Harold and anyone else inquiring...

I read some ES owners sites on edmunds town talk and they said they got about 30% of list by using this site to negotiate a Lexus Platinum ESP:

http://www.webargain4u.com/

It's worth a while to check it out...Let me know.

Here are a couple of others:

http://www.extendedwarrantyinformati...-Warranty.html

http://www.autoprotection.com/factory/Lexus/

Last edited by scdroptop; 11-08-09 at 11:45 AM. Reason: added more stuff
Old 11-08-09 | 03:48 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Guys listen to me Call Troy at greenfiels see my post above for his number

He sells the same exact warranty as Lexus and Lexus has to honor it. Troy sells alot of these that why his pricing is lower $ 1590.00 for 3 more years and 25,000 miles over the factory 50,000 I read the fine print it is a LEXIS PLATINUM WARRANTY .Its worth your while to call and talk to him . Requirements are cars must still be under warranty
fax him the mileage . Call him

Buddy

If i spend 1590.00 for anything you better believe I have speant $ 3000.00 of my time researching it complusive disorder you know you own a lexus to cant be helped comes as standard equipment when you buy one new .

Buddy
Old 11-08-09 | 04:01 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Thanks Buddy. I did call Troy a couple of months ago and he said that he didn't carry the "used platinum" policy. I left a message on his machine yesterday (Saturday) so I will hopefully hear from him this coming week. If he does carry the "used platinum" policy at a discount, you can be fairly sure that I'll jump on it faster than a dog on a June bug.

Quick Reply: Any deals on extended warranties from Lexus?