SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Bluetooth for music streaming in a 2002 SC

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 01:19 PM
redmr2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth for music streaming in a 2002 SC

Hey all . . . any recommendations for Bluetooth integration for music streaming in my 2002 SC ? I installed the VAIStech solution a few years ago, so I could have a hardwire connection, but now that I'm using an iPhone 3GS I'd like to migrate to an all wireless solution with hopefully the same fidelity. I did do a fairly thorough search but did not come up with too much info. Any help or tips would be appreciated . . .
Old 11-11-09, 04:44 PM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Not sure what kind of car you have or year, but I can tell you this is a common question and there has been a lot of posts about it.

If you have a 2002-2004 SC430, you can go with a SLU Vais Unit for an Aux cable and run your Pandora or Slacker Internet Radio on that. No direct iPod integration is available that I know of for a 2002-2004 SC. Maybe Parrott or Soundgate, I'm not sure.

I have a 2005 and bought a SL2I-UP Vais iPod adapter and you get plug in integration, steering wheel controls, NAV screen welcome (I accept) bypass and it charges your iphone.

Is this what you are trying to do? Not sure if you are talking totally bluetooth wireless streaming? Not sure if SC's can even have that technology? Hell, my phone barely connects and is not great sound...I'd hate to hear what music sounds like via BT! LOL
Old 11-11-09, 05:28 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Traditional bluetooth is mono and designed for voice. Newer bluetooth systems offer greater fidelity and offer stereo. If you can find an add-on module for your radio that gives you an auxiliary input you might be able to find a stereo bluetooth adapter that will pair up with your bluetooth music source. I haven't yet seen a good review of such a device; only bad. Hopefully someone else will come along that has had a good experience.
Old 11-11-09, 05:32 PM
scdroptop

+1...I would assume same technology that is in my crappy over-priced $100 bluetooth headphones that I wasted money for on my iPod. Not good...sound like music in a can
Old 11-11-09, 05:35 PM
redmr2
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks . . .

Hey scdroptop . . . Thanks for the quick reply . . . sorry I wasn't more clear. I have a 2002 SC430. Thanks to the assistance of some members of this forum I installed the SLU Vais Unit several years ago, and it works great. My wife's vehicle has a radio head unit with integrated bluetooth (Sony) that works seamlessly with the iPhone (hers and mine) As soon as we enter the car, all audio (phone calls or music) are transferred to the radio speakers. The fidelity for music streaming is excellent, though it's tough to compete with the Mark Levinson w/hardwired connection. I guess I was hoping I could find a bluetooth receiver that I could connect to the VAIS to do the same thing. I don't really need the phone/microphone integration just the audio streaming. In searching through previous posts I just couldn't find much that matched what I was looking for. Parrot seems to be more useful for enabling handsfree phone integration, but I'll look into Soundgate products. Any other suggestions ?
Old 11-11-09, 05:41 PM
scdroptop

As far as I know the ONLY post I've ever seen on a good BT unit for the 2002 is a Parrott. Do a search on Parrott bluetooth and it should come up. It wasn't that long ago. I bet this technology will evolve very quickly and ipod adapters will be dead in a few years and BT will be the way to go. I have BT connections at my home for everything, music is just a matter of time that they perfect it. Sorry for the misunderstanding...
Old 11-11-09, 06:49 PM
redmr2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scdroptop
As far as I know the ONLY post I've ever seen on a good BT unit for the 2002 is a Parrott. Do a search on Parrott bluetooth and it should come up. It wasn't that long ago. I bet this technology will evolve very quickly ...

Well . . . you were absolutely right! Parrot does offer at least 3 music-specific Bluetooth kits that appear to fit my situation. As far as I can determine, it seems that I'd need to purchase the Parrot unit ($200-$300) and a listed 2002 SC430 Vehicle Harness Kit ($99). It looks like the harness kit attaches directly to the radio, so I'd have to get rid of the VAIS SLU, which has been bulletproof (if a bit clunky) so far. If the promotional literature is to be believed, though, the sound quality is supposed to be very good, though I'd love to compare it to my current hardwired solution. This is very tempting and at the end of the day, I'm likely to go this route. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction . . .
Old 11-11-09, 11:51 PM
dag8882
Driver

Originally Posted by redmr2
Well . . . you were absolutely right! Parrot does offer at least 3 music-specific Bluetooth kits that appear to fit my situation. As far as I can determine, it seems that I'd need to purchase the Parrot unit ($200-$300) and a listed 2002 SC430 Vehicle Harness Kit ($99). It looks like the harness kit attaches directly to the radio, so I'd have to get rid of the VAIS SLU, which has been bulletproof (if a bit clunky) so far. If the promotional literature is to be believed, though, the sound quality is supposed to be very good, though I'd love to compare it to my current hardwired solution. This is very tempting and at the end of the day, I'm likely to go this route. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction . . .
redmr2,
i can vouch for the parrot system, recently installed the MKI9100 in my SC430.Sound quality is pretty good and the BT works like a charm. I personaly think, with all the features the Parrot MKI9100 provides; it brings our SCs up to date,considering all the technolgy the SC lacks on. good luck on ur search and keep us posted.

-Dave