SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

still no "crisp" acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-09, 11:31 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may be interested in the Blitz Throttle Controller. It adjusts the pedal-distance/throttle-response relationship. It's a fairly inexpensive (around $325-) remedy for the 'dead-spot' many of us experience on initial acceleration. It's a simple DIY install that takes all of 30 minutes, and it's plug-and-play, with no wire-cutting. (There's a lengthy thread about it here if you search "dead spot on initial acceleration" in SC430 forums.)

I have had mine for well over a year and have grown to love it. If I forget to turn it on and my SC is running at stock throttle settings, it feels like my car is towing a 10 ton block behind it.

Good luck
Old 11-17-09, 12:38 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

That's great to know Roofless! Thanks for the tip! That's ECU reset method is way better than the other methods.
Old 11-17-09, 01:43 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to help.

Anyone else notice better acceleration with the ECT turned off? I do.
-

Last edited by Roofless; 11-17-09 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-17-09, 03:46 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Default dead spot on aceleration of the line

Roofless, I am very happy with the 1st fix "ect switch"...but am intrigued with your "fix"..in your opinion, is this MUCH better? Bob
Old 11-18-09, 07:46 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I just tried it yesterday and it works as advertised. It gives you an immediate improvement and you don't have to endure the PWR light or go and reset any settings. It only takes 2 or 3 minutes. I think that it may be more resonsive than with it just being in the PWR mode, but I'm not sure. I recommend it.
Old 11-18-09, 08:20 AM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by azkaty
Roofless, I am very happy with the 1st fix "ect switch"...but am intrigued with your "fix"..in your opinion, is this MUCH better? Bob
Better than disconnecting the battery?
Or better for acceleration?

My posted method clears the drive-by-wire system so it can be retrained for faster or slower driving. It usually helps acceleration, but it is not it's purpose.

Is it better than disconnecting the battery? It's the exact-same effect on the drive-by-wire system. It just doesn't clear other (stereo, seats) systems. There's also a fuse you can pull for 2 minutes, which does the same thing.

My comment about the ECT (and I might be getting the spelling wrong) refers to the traction control system. It's the button just to the right of the Power Mode button. Early on in this forum we figured out the best acceleration is accomplished by turning on Power Mode and turning off traction control. It adds yet another light to your panel, but... you go faster.

Hope that helps.

And congrats on finding a great replacement SC430!
-
Old 11-18-09, 11:07 AM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Tried it and I agree. Must be something with the ECT controlling the torque going to the rear wheels so it doesn't spin out. My off the line with ECT off, ECU reset and PWR on is out of this world! Couple this with manual shifting on c-gate mode and my car sounds like a vette!!! If I only had some exhaust and intake mods!!! Coming soon.
Old 01-11-10, 03:42 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello, not to revive this.... but on Step#4, is the "OFF" position the "ACC" or "LOCK" position? there is no "OFF" position on my ignition key insertion........
Old 01-11-10, 06:34 PM
Scott R
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello all...I haven't posted here in a long while, but I'm very excited to read some of these posts about improving acceleration without modding the car. It's winter now (and I'm in CT) and I've had several days where I could just barely get out of my only slightly inclined driveway due to a very light coating of snow and my all-season tires. Next year I'll definitely have to buy some studded tires or something, but once the weather warms up I'll be trying these tips.

My reason for posting is that I recently read a user review on Edmunds.com where the person mentioned manually shifting their SC430. Have others here done this? Is this as simple as starting things in Netural (or, if that's not advisable, 1st gear) and accelerating and pushing the shifter along or are there special considerations to be aware of? Prior to my SC430 I had an '07 Mazda RX-8 MT and I must admit that I really miss the handling and manual-transmission fun of that car. I'm not sure what can be done to improve the handling of the SC430, so please do let me know your recommendations on that, but as this is a thread about acceleration, I figured I'd throw out the idea about manually shifting to see what everyone's opinions were on that as well.
Old 01-11-10, 06:47 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an I phone APP that measures 0-60. I ran it in power mode, snow mode, and regular. Times were about the same, but the car did feel different. Snow mode was on average about .3 seconds behind, the other two no difference.
Old 01-12-10, 10:33 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

You can run it in the "manumatic" mode by moving the gear shift lever left when it is in Drive and control which gear it is in.
Old 01-14-10, 04:08 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
I have an I phone APP that measures 0-60. I ran it in power mode, snow mode, and regular. Times were about the same, but the car did feel different. Snow mode was on average about .3 seconds behind, the other two no difference.
I'm fairly certain it's not recommended to go that fast in snow-mode.... especially if you're driving in deep snow
Old 01-15-10, 07:22 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

question: so it's OK to go into manual mode while driving in the automatic mode?
in other words, while in auto mode, it's OK to shift into 4th and proceed with manual shifting, on the fly?
or is it advisable to only begin in manual mode from a dead stop?
thanks.
Old 01-15-10, 08:20 AM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

There's good info in your owner's manual on the use of the automatic transmission. While not prohibited, manual shifting refers to engine braking and states the following:

4: Position for engine braking (Shifting into overdrive not possible)

When the cruise control is being used, even if you downshift from ”D” to ”4”, engine braking will not be enabled because the cruise control is not cancelled. For the operation to decrease the vehicle speed, see page 207.

3, 2: Position for more powerful engine braking

L: Position for maximum engine braking
Old 01-16-10, 10:21 AM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

jimmer! I've been driving the c-gate 2002-2005 in manual mode for a couple of years now and have had no problems. In fact, the lexus senior service advisor showed me how to do it back in 2008-that's how I got the idea!

The fastest 2002-2005 options would be ECT off, PWR on and manual mode after you have done the ECU reset. Maybe a K&N filter and cat-back as well as throttle controller as light mods for better accelerator response and better sound. Expectations are low for any real HP gains by the mods, but they may help our SC's breath better and sound more aggressive and feel better too.

Quick Reply: still no "crisp" acceleration