scratch removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-09, 11:36 AM
tnovak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scratch removal

Well,

I wasn't careful enough when removing the stereo to install a vaistech unit and I put a couple of small scratches on my shift ****. Any suggestions on how to lessen or remove the scratches. Thanks. Tom
Old 11-16-09, 01:03 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

If you are only trying to remove the visual marks of the scratches, you can get a stain from home stores (hardware stores and the like) that will restain the wood and make the visual portion of it disappear. These are typically a non-color specific stain used for touching up scratches. (They probably come in light, medium and dark colors though.)

To get rid of the tactile portion, you would either have to sand it down or put filler in it and then attempt to stain that. Getting the filler to match in color would be difficult unless you have experience doing that already and then it won't be trivial.
Old 11-16-09, 01:52 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
If you are only trying to remove the visual marks of the scratches, you can get a stain from home stores (hardware stores and the like) that will restain the wood and make the visual portion of it disappear. These are typically a non-color specific stain used for touching up scratches. (They probably come in light, medium and dark colors though.)

To get rid of the tactile portion, you would either have to sand it down or put filler in it and then attempt to stain that. Getting the filler to match in color would be difficult unless you have experience doing that already and then it won't be trivial.
+1,getting filler to match should be left to a professional, let a pro detailer take a look at it, he may provide the solution, good luck
Old 11-16-09, 02:09 PM
tnovak
Driver School Candidate

Default wood scratches

The scratches are pretty light, you can barely feel them with your finger nail. The next time I am to the lexus dealer perhaps I will ask them. Thanks. Tom
Old 11-16-09, 06:07 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn it counter-clockwise until it comes off, then install a new one. Seems there was one in the classifieds a couple weeks ago.
If the scratches go through the clear coat, feather them in with a 600 grit sandpaper, mask it off, and put a clear coat of something compatible.
If the scratches are really light and you have access to a bench grinder, you can use a fabric wheel and some rouge to buff them out.
Then go buy a new one...
Old 11-16-09, 06:19 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if they're really light, i'd try waxing it.
Old 11-16-09, 09:54 PM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

^^^^+1 mrblister has a recommendation on a piano wood polish he told me about to polish your wood.

Also, +1 on finding a replacement. That's why I did not do my Vais install! Anything scratched by the Lexus dealer would be replaced! I can't find hardly any replacements for the rare Pebble Beach red/black interior. I feel your pain...if you have regular colors (ecru/saddle/black/camel) you should be able to find *****.

Here are some on eBay:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
Old 11-17-09, 01:37 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
^^^^+1 mrblister has a recommendation on a piano wood polish he told me about to polish your wood.

Also, +1 on finding a replacement. That's why I did not do my Vais install! Anything scratched by the Lexus dealer would be replaced! I can't find hardly any replacements for the rare Pebble Beach red/black interior. I feel your pain...if you have regular colors (ecru/saddle/black/camel) you should be able to find *****.

Here are some on eBay:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
+1, wonder why that carbon fiber **** is only $18.99 ??
Old 11-17-09, 10:12 AM
tnovak
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice. I may try to polish it a bit as it doesn't penetrate the clearcoat. Tom
Old 11-17-09, 10:43 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

If the scratch is contained within the clear coat, there is a clear coat filler available that may work also. (That is not what it is called but that is what it does. The ones I've seen are for scratches in the body paint though.)