SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Important if you add ipod connection

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-09 | 01:15 PM
bcisco513
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Important if you add ipod connection

VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE ! MAKE SURE YOU GET THE SL2i-UP I didn't and got the "old style" SL2i unit, THEY DO NOT CHARGE YOUR IPOD OR IPHONE now I have to pay to have another installed ! this is a very disceptive business practice on the part of Vais I can not believe they didn't tell me or my installer !! they are dumping there old units to people who don't know this ! then they try to sell you an updated cord ! BEWARE and make the correct choice...
Old 11-16-09 | 05:15 PM
Yes

Originally Posted by bcisco513
VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE ! MAKE SURE YOU GET THE SL2i-UP I didn't and got the "old style" SL2i unit, THEY DO NOT CHARGE YOUR IPOD OR IPHONE now I have to pay to have another installed ! this is a very disceptive business practice on the part of Vais I can not believe they didn't tell me or my installer !! they are dumping there old units to people who don't know this ! then they try to sell you an updated cord ! BEWARE and make the correct choice...
same thing i posted in the other thread...

if you have an older SC (pre 2006), you need the unit you have. they're clearly listed on their site this way. if you want to charge your ipod, you can buy an apple AV cable. you can plug the usb connection into a USB lighter plug. the newer vais unit will not work with older cars.
Old 11-16-09 | 06:32 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

I like to think I'm a pretty smart guy, but the VAIS lineup of products seems like a bunch of alphabet soup. The company must be run by engineers without a single marketing guy. It shouldn't be hard for the customer to figure out what they want/need.

bcisco513, did VAIS refuse to permit you to return / exchange?
Old 11-16-09 | 07:37 PM
bcisco513
Driver School Candidate

I am going thru the installer as he ordered it and he told them all the info about make model and year, he says they told him what to install he is not pleased either, Vais should have told him right at the start, he is going to replace and reinstall for me and I will pay the differance... I hope this helps others, Vais needs to clearly state whats what, if the install can make a mistake ordering and he is in the biz where does it leave the average guy like me who just wants to listen to his ipod??
Old 11-16-09 | 07:59 PM
Yes

if he had asked, vais would have told him the correct part. i emailed them just to be sure when i bought one and they told me which models were for which years. what year is your car? he may have ordered the wrong unit this time around.
Old 11-16-09 | 09:25 PM
scdroptop

2005-2009 have same nav systems, so the SL2I-UP charges fine on these and are compatible.

When I had my 02 Vais (on CL) told me that the SLU was the only option and I checked recently for someone else and it still is. This is only an aux cable, no controls and no charge for a 2002-2004 SC.

This retailer should do the right thing by their mfg they represent and sounds like they are. BCISCO has gone through a lot--hope you enjoy it when it finally gets done and you get the nav accept bypass too working fine.
Old 11-17-09 | 05:47 PM
bcisco513
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jason702
if he had asked, vais would have told him the correct part. i emailed them just to be sure when i bought one and they told me which models were for which years. what year is your car? he may have ordered the wrong unit this time around.
My installer called Vais, and they (Vais) recomended the installer to me! and he said they told him what to install! thats why I went to the installer in the first place, he is more upset than I am as he put it.... I have to remove and replace NOT vais, I also said I would not take the cable that they want to sell me that "updates" the older unit so it charges...the older unit may need updated software for all I know but, ask yourself.. if they have an updated cable why would they not just send it with the units?? old or new?? it doesn't make any sence to me, I would still be thinking something was wrong with my ipod/SLunit/install if SCdroptop didn't help me figure it out