SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What did you pass over to buy your SC

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-09 | 06:21 PM
sc430guy
Rookie

Mine is a 2006 sc430. I almost got an m6 of the same year for 30k more... but I really wanted a convertible and this m6 wasnt. Plus, the m6 convertibles I think look ugly with their soft top
Old 11-20-09 | 06:45 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

^agreed, very ugly with soft top

also very ugly at 8mpg...
Old 11-20-09 | 07:59 PM
scdroptop

Passed on a 2004 996 Porsche 911 Carrera C4 convertible. Red/black 60k miles $30k... you all helped talk me out of it!

Also looked at Boxsters (2005+) and really loved them but decided I needed a back seat.

Closest competitor was the new G37 convertible. Pros: Tech! Nav, BT, headrest speakers, Cooled Seats, Paddle shifters, 20GB music box, ipod full integration, etc etc. nice growl, performance, sportiness
Cons: Price$$$$$ Best lease was $800/month, $600 with a lot down. Purchase was about the same. no real incentives and limited production #'s mean no deals for a while. lackluster interior stuck between an M3 and a CL55 not quite sure which

If my wife and I don't have a second child, I may trade in my FX35 2009 when it's lease is up for a used G37 convertible and have two hard top convertibles!!! Really liked the G37 but too much money---first year model problems may haunt it, too.
Old 11-21-09 | 03:36 AM
carbuff
Driver

When I decided to replace my sedan in 2008 with a smaller size car, I decided to investigate both convertibles and coupes. Next, I established a criteria that met my overall desires in a smaller car.

1. Appealing exterior visual design
2. Luxurious interior
3. Features
4. Clarity/placement of instrument buttons and gauges
5. Performance
6. Comfort of ride
7. Safety
8. Cost

After a preliminary search using Edmunds and KBB on the internet, I reduced my search to concentrate on:

Audi A5
BMW 650
Jaguar XK
Lexus SC430
Mercedes SL

I did a chart comparing features and then visited dealerships in my area. While each of these cars displayed unique characteristics, I found that the SC430’s overall look most appealed to me. I was very impressed that with the top down, it was a great looking convertible and with the top up, a very stylish coupe.

Then too, when I sat in the driver’s seat, the physical fit of my body in the SC felt very comfortable.

In its driver’s seat I also felt enveloped by the elegance and luxury of the interior. Of equal importance, the control buttons and instrument gauges were located perfectly for me to safely control my driving experience.

During the test drive with the top down, I could not keep a smile off my face. It felt so exhilarating to cruise comfortably and smoothly down the street from the dealership to the freeway. It was physically the most comfortable ride of any of the other cars in my comparison.

From a performance standpoint, the SC met my driving habits. I no longer have the desire to peal away when the signal light turns green or to take corners at high speeds. The SC has enough pickup with its power boost engaged and easily accelerates to pass other cars on the freeway.

The most gratifying fact of my choice of the SC after driving all of the cars is that its price with all of its features was financially the lowest of the group.

We all have personal preferences. So my rating of the cars I compared will undoubtedly differ from others. Here is how I rated them:

Lexus SC430: The car that fed all of my senses.

Audi A5: Great build, fit and handling. Would have enjoyed owing it.

Jaguar XK: Very good looking but disappointing drive.

BMW 650: Best handling but luxurious interior missing.

Mercedes SL: Overpriced for what you get compared to the others. Besides, I do not appreciate being patronized by dealer salesmen.

I chose the SC430 and have not had a single instance to regret my choice.
Old 11-21-09 | 11:43 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

(This was in 2006)
Sebring ragtop, 1 year old, biggest problem was reliability, price and roominess (cabin and trunk) was the best

Solara ragtop, 2 or 3 years old, poor visibility and body quakes, decent roominess

Crossfire ragtop, 1 year old, this was my second choice next to the SC430, was nervous about reliability & repair costs, cramped spaces all around, fun car to drive if it was a 6 speed or an SRT

BMW Z4 ragtop, 2 years old, this was my third choice behind the SC430, nice fit and finish, cramped spaces all around, reasonably easy to get out of, good gas mileage, quiet, 1 button to open

Boxster ragtop, 2 years old, cramped, difficult to get in and out of, pain to open the top, fun to drive

Solstice ragtop, not a fan of GM

BMW ragtop, 3 series, too stodgy

S2000 ragtop, noisy

MR2 Spyder ragtop, too small

SC430 hard top, 4 years old, best fit and finish and reliability, Lexus has the best reputation overall, gorgeous interior and exterior, (I've been watching these since they first came out!), back seat for storage or desperate riders, decent trunk with the top up, a hard top was a big seller and this was the only car that made me smile (and still does!), obviously this was my final choice
Old 11-21-09 | 01:20 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CAMAracer
Passed up an IS-F. Personally,I felt that the interior of the F wasn't as..."sporty" as the SC (convertible FTW!) or as luxurious (wood is good). Maybe it was the 4 doors versus the 2, the layout of the dash, or that it wasn't available in blue at the time (2 month waiting period!). Really struggled for about 10 minutes before deciding the SC was a better fit for me. Plus I wanted to rub it in my ex's face because the SC was the car I had promised to buy for her :P
Dude, you got some more pics of your Blue SC? I LOVE that color! Same color as the IS300 I had. I've never seen the blue SC in person.
Old 11-21-09 | 01:38 PM
scdroptop

Harold-I looked at a SRT8 Crossfire-very cool car for Chrysler! Fast, seemed to have that MBZ feel to it (wasn't it based on the SLK???) and was fun too. Very concerned with reliability and resale and no back seat.
Old 11-21-09 | 01:41 PM
Emackny
Racer

I passed up the 6 series BMW.. Since I was buying pre-owned, I was concerned about the reliability. Will I regret..? Only time will tell.
Old 11-21-09 | 01:49 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Harold-I looked at a SRT8 Crossfire-very cool car for Chrysler! Fast, seemed to have that MBZ feel to it (wasn't it based on the SLK???) and was fun too. Very concerned with reliability and resale and no back seat.
Yes, it was based on one of the SL models (could have been SLK, but I don't recall right now). The engine and drive train were MB and the interior and exterior sheet metal were Chrysler. The SRT was my wife's first choice, but this was a car for me, so the SC430 won out. The SRT was one of the quickest cars we drove. Very fun on the freeway. You just kind of look at an opening on the freeway and next thing you know, you're there. (I made the right choice though! )
Old 11-21-09 | 02:39 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Here's one no one mentioned: VW Eros. When I was debating what to buy, the VW was just being introduced and was a (1) small, (2) hardtop convertible (3) with a back seat (my three main criteria). Pluse I could get a brand new VW for about $20K less than a used SC. I was struggling on paying so much more for a used SC. My friend pushed me over the edge with the comment: "You know you want the SC and you'll have regrets every time you drive something else so just buck up and spend the money." She was right.
Old 11-21-09 | 06:08 PM
scdroptop

JC-good advice from your friend. I was surprised how much those EOS cost. I wish the A4 (or really the S4) would adopt the VW hardtop from the EOS if it would fit...not sure and make a S4 hardtop convertible!

My dad has a A4 cabrio that I talked him into buying a few years back and he loves it, but it's just the 3.0. I drove a S4 once and WHOOOOSH very very fast! Nice cars, fit and finish a little sketchy and reliability still not there but they are definitely coming up.

****Are you all looking for this Blue in the SC??? The 2004 Pebble Beach.
Attached Thumbnails What did you pass over to buy your SC-f7_12.jpg   What did you pass over to buy your SC-4843566_18.jpg   What did you pass over to buy your SC-26.jpg   What did you pass over to buy your SC-1290411_3_400.jpg   What did you pass over to buy your SC-dcp_9995.jpg  

Last edited by scdroptop; 11-21-09 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-22-09 | 04:33 PM
sc430guy
Rookie

That light grey-blue looks nice
Old 11-23-09 | 11:40 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 25,000

Close call with a 996 Convertible and M3 convertible.
The SC430 solid reliability, and especially the gorgeous interior won out.
Old 11-24-09 | 12:28 PM
Lapraka
Driver

I passed nothing. The first time i saw a SC430 was in 2001 and for the next 5 years it was just a matter of figuring out how to afford one. There was no question in my mind. All the other cars looked like copies or worse. Back in 2006 got my SC430 off eBay.

Love my SC430.