Just detailed.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-09, 08:52 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just detailed.

Hey guys,

I wanted to show off my freshly detailed 04.

Using my old Sears-brand polishing machine, I've polished, waxed and buffed-out to a mirror finish. All but the deepest (past the clear coat) scratches are out.

Before winters sloppiness spoils the look, here's the result of my 2 day, 10 hour labor of love.

You like?

jimmer
Attached Thumbnails Just detailed.-detail1.jpg   Just detailed.-detail2.jpg   Just detailed.-detail3.jpg   Just detailed.-detail5.jpg   Just detailed.-detail4.jpg  

Old 12-01-09, 09:09 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good. Did you photoshop in the blue sky and greenery? Looks a little funky.
Old 12-01-09, 09:41 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks smashing, did you use Zaino products ??
Old 12-01-09, 09:42 AM
adankid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pretty shiny!
Old 12-01-09, 10:15 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
Looks good. Did you photoshop in the blue sky and greenery? Looks a little funky.
yes. the day was very bright and the original images were washed out.
I agree, I could have done a better coloration job, but didn't have a lot of time. the 430 was not re-touched.

btw: I attempted to upload full size images through a 'photo gallery' collection, but the process got the better of me. I've been computer savy for years, but I couldn't figure out the last part of the process. too complicated!
Old 12-01-09, 10:34 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Flawless.. Looks good..
Old 12-01-09, 10:49 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmer!
yes. the day was very bright and the original images were washed out.
I agree, I could have done a better coloration job, but didn't have a lot of time. the 430 was not re-touched.

btw: I attempted to upload full size images through a 'photo gallery' collection, but the process got the better of me. I've been computer savy for years, but I couldn't figure out the last part of the process. too complicated!
that's cool. post an un-retouched pic if you want and i'll play around with it. photography is a hobby of mine. i think you can get a much better look out of it.

btw, the best time to shoot by far is either sunrise or sunset. you have about a 30-45 minute window to get the best light. any other time of day and the sun is too bright.
Old 12-01-09, 10:51 AM
lyyca
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

shiny!!!!!
Old 12-01-09, 11:00 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tromly
Looks smashing, did you use Zaino products ??
I needed to run to the garage for the list:

craftsman 6" buffer/polisher (nothing exotic, but it works)
4 star MGP machine glaze + polish (easy to wipe-off. no residue.)
mothers pure carnuba wax (it's what I had and it works fine)
invisible glass (really cuts through any glass film)
303 aerospace protectant (rubber, vinyl, tires)

I praise you guys who really go the extra mile when detailing (materials, time, process), but for me, this system is simple and the results are worth all the elbow grease.

btw: as I drove to find a good photo spot, it started raining.
only a light sprinkle that let up, thank god.
Old 12-01-09, 12:23 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very very nice!!!! I'm always afraid to use my polisher, so I always do it by hand! I'm always concerned that I'll leave too much residue and leave that haze behind. Maybe next time I'll try the machine. WOW if it took you 2 days & 10 hours I would hate to think what it would take by hand. What Michlins do you have on your SC? I'm looking for something to replace the run flats. If they ever wear out, which they won't cause I want to get rid of them. I like the way they look.
Old 12-01-09, 04:39 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I LOVE the dark colors on the SC!
Old 12-01-09, 06:47 PM
lexus!!!!!
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NICE car jimmer!, are these the Lexus' 10-spoke 18" wheels that is on the 2009's SC? Where did you get them? How much?
Old 12-02-09, 06:28 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SteadyEddy
Very very nice!!!! I'm always afraid to use my polisher, so I always do it by hand! I'm always concerned that I'll leave too much residue and leave that haze behind. Maybe next time I'll try the machine. WOW if it took you 2 days & 10 hours I would hate to think what it would take by hand. What Michlins do you have on your SC? I'm looking for something to replace the run flats. If they ever wear out, which they won't cause I want to get rid of them. I like the way they look.
I've been putting off the detailing, trying to figure out which dual rotary polisher to get. In the end, after starting by hand (and realizing that my arm just wouldn't take it), I decided to use the 'ol Craftsman. It worked fine. With all polishers, it's about the amount of pressure and duration of the polishing passes. My Craftsman polisher is a simple, cheap rotary machine. No swirls or abrasions happened. At this point, I'm stick with this simple machine.

The tires are Michelin Pilot A/S Plus, rated for winter and rainy conditions, so I'm covered. They are great. Plus, they're filled with Nitrogen, making the ride even more comfortable. I'd recommend this system as a replacement for the terrible run flats. Be sure to have AAA in your wallet, possibly a portable emergency tire pump device and a donut (Supra) spare for long, out-of-state trips. That all equals peace of mind.
Old 12-02-09, 06:44 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexus!!!!!
NICE car jimmer!, are these the Lexus' 10-spoke 18" wheels that is on the 2009's SC? Where did you get them? How much?
The wheels are 18" (OEM Lexus GS) TOURMALINEs, that fit both cars. I got this tip from our forum (thanks again). There's a choice between Tourmalines or GS Spiders. I went with 'the simpler the better' for me and my 430.
I bought them from an online source Dealerfit.com They offered them for only $217 ea.

I could have sworn that they went offline (stopped their retail outfit), but here's the url. If interested, I'd give them a call to be sure that they still offer the wheels:

http://lexus.dealerfit.com/store/lex...cat397_411.php

Their service and fulfillment was very good.
Old 12-03-09, 07:58 PM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Beautiful pics-great detail job, nice mods with the Tourmalines and the debadging!

I'm scared to use a polisher on the black PB. I have this nasty bright orange special note in my owners manual just for "black diamond pearl" paint that specifically tells you NOT to use rotary buffers or automatic car washes on this paint! Oh well...

Quick Reply: Just detailed.