SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What service should I do ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-09 | 06:07 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Default What service should I do ?

I have 2005 sc 430 PB. Bought new mileage is now 6400 miles only service done has been yearly oil and filter mobile 1 synthetic. I did the 5000 miles service. The car is now into its 5 th year. Obvious I dont use it much except on top down days.

Should I do a special service on it. Brake fluid change, coolant change, transmission fluid change ?? I hate to waste any money but since it sits alot I want to be sure I dont miss anything and cause problems down the road.

Buddy
Old 12-02-09 | 04:47 AM
tromly
Pole Position

I'd do it for peace of mind, just change the tranny fluid, not a flush. How are the tires, any signs of dry rot on the sidewalls ?? You need to drive the car more, aren't there more sunny days in PA that you can use it ?? Good Luck
Old 12-02-09 | 05:22 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Yeah! We have sunny days, but the heater isn't that good. I feel your pain brother!
I'd do the brake fluid, maybe not a whole flush, but just some out (I'd use a turkey baster, won't need it again till next Thanksgiving HaHa!!!) and then refill, (I had my 07 ES to the stealership for it's 30K mile service and I think that's all they do at least that's what it sounded like), and maybe the trans fluid drain. I'd look at the trans fluid first, then decide. If it looks good, leave it. Also I would do as tromly suggested, check the tires over, lost my first car in an accident due to dry rotted tires.
Buddy, hope you had an enjoyable Thanksgiving, haven't typed you in a while.

Ed
Old 12-02-09 | 08:11 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Had a great Thanksgiving. I have staggered 20 " rims with toyo t1 proxies . Tires are fine
Even though the car sits I do move it so I dont get flat spots on tires. I will tell you between my business and my motorcycle passion I really dont have a great deal of time,I have to make choices. If the weather is good and its on my day off or sunday. Then I either ride one of my bikes or else its the sc 430. I really love the car and expect that it will be the last car I own.

Buddy
Old 12-02-09 | 09:34 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

You have this car:

Originally Posted by mrblister
2005 SC430 Pebble Beach. Black Diamond with red pimento interior,black birds eye espresso maple, nav tool, vias siruis radio, daizen front and rear anti sway with greaseable zerks, blitz throttle controler in ash tray, windscreen deflector, 8 disk dvd trunk changer, dvd/tv tuner in glove box, r1 slotted and drilled rotors, axis pads, 20 " donz genovese staggered toyo t1 proxies, 1 toms tower strut bar,cnc aluminum frame stiffiner plates,lux link remote start, remote top, and 1/4 window mod.
And you only drive 1000 miles per year?!? Your other rides must be fabulous!!
Old 12-02-09 | 07:05 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Yeh but what a 1000 miles. I just have to many toys and I dont which one to use on any given day. My sc430 is black and that is not a color it is an occupation called car washer and detailer [ That me ] I do look at it every day though.
Old 12-02-09 | 08:25 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Mrblister...if I had a dollar for every time you mentioned that black was an occupation ...

this reminds me that I NEED A CARWASH...
Old 12-03-09 | 04:32 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Default Tire stuff

Originally Posted by SteadyEddy
Yeah! We have sunny days, but the heater isn't that good. I feel your pain brother!
I'd do the brake fluid, maybe not a whole flush, but just some out (I'd use a turkey baster, won't need it again till next Thanksgiving HaHa!!!) and then refill, (I had my 07 ES to the stealership for it's 30K mile service and I think that's all they do at least that's what it sounded like), and maybe the trans fluid drain. I'd look at the trans fluid first, then decide. If it looks good, leave it. Also I would do as tromly suggested, check the tires over, lost my first car in an accident due to dry rotted tires.
Buddy, hope you had an enjoyable Thanksgiving, haven't typed you in a while.

Ed
I read that car tires should be changed out, no matter how good they look, after 6 years from when they were manufactured..here is an interesting piece on how to figure out when your tires were manufactured..

"The DOT Code begins with the letters "DOT" followed by a plant code (two numbers or letters) that identifies where it was manufactured. The last four numbers represent the week and year the tire was built. A three-digit code was used for tires manufactured before the year 2000. For example, 178 means it was manufactured in the 17th week of 8th year of the decade. In this case it means 1988. For tires manufactured in the 1990s, the same code holds true, but there is a little triangle (Δ) after the DOT code. Thus, a tire manufactured in the 17th week of 1998 would have the code 178Δ. In 2000, the code was switched to a 4-digit code. Same rules apply, so for example, 3003 means the tire was manufactured in the 30th week of 2003."

And a question for all of you..why does the Tire Rack show that we should have larger size tires on the back? The car did not come that way, right??
Old 12-03-09 | 07:54 PM
scdroptop

Buddy-just confirming what others said-might be a nice idea to do a quick flush and fill on the basic fluids-brakes, coolant, power steering, tranny and obviously oil. I'd go by the book which states mileage or months. 60 months of car ownership you would definitely want to have these fluids changed out. Maybe next year do the plugs.

Although my 02 was not NEAR the puff yours is, it had about 25k and was five years old when I did these fluid flushes. I agree on the turkey baster for the brakes, power steering and you could go to toyota or valvoline instant oil change to do the coolant and tranny flushes fairly inexpensively and quickly. Otherwise, I'm sure the stealership will be glad to take your $400 for both services!

I would do the a/c cabin filter and air filter (do a K&N drop in if you still are running OE).

Just my two cents.