SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

First time in Snow, SCARY

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-09 | 06:50 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Default First time in Snow, SCARY

I have not driven out of Florida in the snow for over twenty years. For the next few months I am working in DC, and decided to drive my baby up since I have parking downtown. Today it snowed, so I put it in snow mode, and drove around for a while. Car did fine but I was so nervous. The roads outside DC are terrible, the pot holes, the broken streets. The snow only stuck for a few hours, but not sure if this is the car for this weather. Anyone use this as a daily driver with just all seasons in the snow?
Old 12-05-09 | 06:59 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

You must use snow tires to move this car (under control) in anything more than a dusting of snow. Period.

I've had Bridegstone Blizzaks (on my 2nd set as of yesterday) and find them to be very good all around winter tires. You can find RFT and non-RFT versions; whatever suits you best. Good luck.
Old 12-05-09 | 07:21 PM
Habious
Pole Position

+1 - This car is no fun in the snow.

The "snow" mode and the traction control keep you from getting into too much trouble, but it's rough trying to get around because you get no traction at all.

The only reason I don't have a set of snow tires for it is I've got no place to store them in my condo.
Old 12-05-09 | 07:28 PM
Yes

i ran into snow once. driving through colorado when i got up into the mountains. it wasn't fun. i was crawling along at 15 mph holding my breath the whole way. overall, i had to do something like 60 miles.
Old 12-05-09 | 08:10 PM
scdroptop

+1 had snow come unexpectantly last year in Dallas and I crept the entire way 10-15 mph and still slipped all over, fish tailed, spun out, etc etc. Terrible!

Would your LS be any better?

Got an extra $5-$6k cash? There is a SWEET old workhorse LX450 for sale (the first generation LX) I just saw on eBay with 120k miles in great condition for like $6k. That would cruise through the snow with no issues!
Old 12-05-09 | 08:34 PM
langsdale
Pole Position

i have snow tires for sale if you need to protect your investment this winter. it beats the alternative
joey
Old 12-05-09 | 08:40 PM
Bon
Advanced

LS LX
Old 12-05-09 | 09:08 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Thanks for the advice, I am convinced. She sits in the garage during the snow, save a four block trip to the safeway if needed. I am pretty sure Pres Obama will have the streets plowed in his backyard. I am flying the family up for the holidays so our LS will stay in Florida. As another said, living in a condo, and not knowing how long I will be here does not justify buying snow tires. Might be a lot of Pizza if there is much snow in DC this year.
Old 12-06-09 | 03:57 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
Thanks for the advice, I am convinced. She sits in the garage during the snow, save a four block trip to the safeway if needed. I am pretty sure Pres Obama will have the streets plowed in his backyard. I am flying the family up for the holidays so our LS will stay in Florida. As another said, living in a condo, and not knowing how long I will be here does not justify buying snow tires. Might be a lot of Pizza if there is much snow in DC this year.
+1 on the DC terrible road conditions, I was stationed at the Pentagon, worst three years of my life, Marion Barry was the mayor, thought I was in Beirut , Lebanon with the roads in the condition the city kept them !! No way does a SC430 belong in DC during the winter !
Old 12-06-09 | 09:11 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I went through the same snow and ice that scdroptop mentioned. The Pirelli's on my '02 did okay. Yes it slipped more than I'd like especially when I had to slow down. (I have to drive on back roads in the country to get home - black top, two lane roads with no shoulders.) But once the car is moving it does okay. Anything under 10 or 15 mph had problems, especially sliding sideways on the crowned roads.
Old 12-07-09 | 11:25 AM
hayzen
Driver School Candidate

Do all season tires exist for the SC430?
Old 12-07-09 | 11:32 AM
Yes

Originally Posted by hayzen
Do all season tires exist for the SC430?
i'm sure they do for stock wheels. it's when you're on 20" wheels that you run into problems. at that point, your only option it to switch wheels for the winter if you have to drive it.
Old 12-07-09 | 01:29 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

My SC is my only driver, and I've been in the snow with it a few times. Dallas isn't known for prolonged snow or ice, so I haven't seen the need for snow tires.

I'd call my experiences "interesting," and only "fun" when I there weren't any other cars around and I wanted to learn more about how to manage the beast. My observations:

- SNOW mode is a requirement to avoid spinning the tires constantly
- VSC is critical to keep from spinning the tires and going NOWHERE

I was stunned that after turning off VSC that the car wouldn't even move. (Hey, I was experimenting.) I don't recall my '93 SC400 having that much trouble.

Still, if the weather is ridiculous, and the local "news" crews are showing video from more than just one overpass with wrecks (idiots), then I'm staying home. It's the 21st century -- telecommuting is an option. One of the first things my dealer told me was to not have a rear-end collision. The trunk lid hinges are $5K each.
Old 12-07-09 | 04:34 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Question How about rain??

Today I drove Bob's SC in the rain! Wow was that an experience!

I crawled along..took off slow and left so much room between me and the car in front. Still wanted to slide a bit.

Would the snow mode work in the rain? How about driving in 4th instead of D?
Azkaty
Old 12-07-09 | 06:34 PM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

Just got done driving in 6 inches of snow today, our cars suck in snow! Or maybe just mine...

Was visiting a friend in Sonora this weekend and woke up to 2 inches of fresh powder. Fearing I might be trapped up there for the next couple of days if I didn't take action, I decided to foot it 3 miles to the nearest store and buy some chains.

Things I learned today:
1) Chains are heavy. Carrying chains while wading through deep snow for 3 miles only make it worse.
2) Nitto NT05 do not perform well in the snow (even with cables).
3) FR cars also do not work in the snow. Despite our cars being 54/46 weight distribution, the rear keeps losing traction (very easily even with chains).
4) VSC and "snow" mode will not help in the snow once traction is lost.
5) People in Sonora think it's the neatest thing to see a Lexus struggle up a hill (as several people whipped out their cameras to video/take pics of the event).

I got stuck going up this hill (about a 15% grade) for about 2 hours. Finally decided to go back down the way I came, take off the cables and drive around that stupid hill using a 5 mile detour. Was lucky that the snow decided to stop long enough for the roads to melt a little so I could make my escape.

Quick Reply: First time in Snow, SCARY