SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New wheels. Did I make a mistake? Will Tein CSs still work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-09 | 12:19 AM
ERicincal
Driver School Candidate

Default New wheels. Did I make a mistake? Will Tein CSs still work?

So, I finally decided to replace my 18 inch stock wheels and runflats with some new wheels and tires. I have been reading the boards for a while and decided to get the wheels shown below. I am pretty new to changing things on my car, so this is the first time I ever did wheels. I was originally going to get 19s, but read a lot of people regretted getting 19s. 8.5 in the front and 9.5 in the rear. They are wearing 245/35/20 and 285/30/20. Falken FK452 Tires. 2005 SC430.

So the first thing I noticed when I walked up to the car was the way the rims seem to hang over the wheels when looking at them from the rear. The first day I came home, I actually curbed them a tiny bit when I drove up my driveway. Not the curb mind you, but the 2 inch little lip. Granted I approached the curb at an angle.

So the 3 questions I have are:

1. did I buy the wrong size rim? Being that I didnt increase the diameter of the front wheels,perhaps I shouldnt have increased the width of the aftermarket wheels?

2. I was thinking to do the Tein CS coilovers next. Will I be able to lower the car without rubbing with this current wheel setup? How much can I lower without rubbing? 1-1.5 inches?

3. Does the car look silly without being lowered?

Stern ST-1s.

Old 12-31-09 | 04:55 AM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Car looks awesome with the wheels in my opinion. I personally don't have 20s but I am assuming you'd be able to lower about an inch. Idk if there would be rubbing, I'm sure other CL members would chime in and giver better advice. I think the width in the front seems alright. I had 8.5" in the front before and experienced minimal rubbing (We both have 2005s as well). Probably would have been an easy fix if it really bothered me. 9.5 seems adequate for the back too; I've even seen some 10" widths on SC430s before. Congrats on the new wheels and don't be worried. Some tinkers here and there and then your setup would be just as you expected. GL!
Old 12-31-09 | 06:26 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ERicincal
Does the car look silly without being lowered?
Yes, your car looks silly. I would rip those wheels off today, and sell them to me for half price, and save yourself future embarassment.

Great choice, your car is rolling art, enjoy.
Old 12-31-09 | 07:25 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Looks great, but now you have to do something about the calipers and maybe the rotors. I think the wheel people do it so those other guys get some business. Then maybe lowering it.
Old 12-31-09 | 11:10 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

They look terrific .

I am running

DONZ PRO GENOVESE 20 X 10 HYPER SILVER [ PAINTED ] 38 OFFSET
REAR TIRES ARE TOY0 PROXIES T1-S 275/30ZR20
3 " chrome lip

DONZ PRO GENOVESE 20 X 8.5 HYPER SILVER [ PAINTED ] 35 OFFSET
FRONT TIRES ARE TOYO PROXIES T1-S 245/35ZR20
2 " chrome lip

I also curbed mine once because of the angle as well as incline and depression in the driveway. I keep my air about 38 to 40 lbs.

I have same color as you but its a pebble beach so it has the black diamond metallic and red interior
Old 12-31-09 | 12:24 PM
scdroptop

beautiful! simply beautiful.

Wheel size looks great, same sizes as many of us on CL. 8.5 front and 9.5 rear is great. You didn't mention offset, but not sure it will help in your situation at all since your chief concern seems to be curb rash incidents and rubbing. The front looks a little less aggressive than my set up, and rear looks as aggressive as you can go without sticking out of the fender! I'd say you did a great job!

Your tire size is good also with that set up, similar to mine with 20's. Your offset on the wheels and tires are different, so each tire brand, make, etc will fit wheels slightly different. I forget where it was, but there was an actual tire spec chart that showed tires measurements vs others.

My wheels/tires look a little more "meaty" than yours despite the same size wheels and tires. Could be the tire brand, tread, etc. My old wheels on my 02 looked more skinny like yours, hence curb rash on practically all four wheels despite my best efforts to be meticulous about turning, parking, etc. Just something you will have to get used to. Happens to the best of us! Looks fabulous though.

If it really bothers you, check out yokohamas or other dunlop direzzos they make similar tires for that staggered set up for similar prices and check out their measurements. Perhaps they will have wider footprints and allow you to have more meat around your wheel. I wouldn't go to 285's or anything wider, just perhaps change tire brands if the shop you bought from would allow you to exchange and it's really bugging you. Do you think the retailer that sold you the tires would let you exchange?

If not...stick with what you've got. They look AWESOME and you'll get used to being and expert with bologna skins for tires-basically nothing protecting your wheels!
Old 01-01-10 | 01:43 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

They look a little fat to drop the car on. You might want either to go to a 245/30 and 285/25/20 and drop or leave it the way it is and enjoy the tire life and ride quality. I will admit I think slammed black SCs look hardcore
Old 01-01-10 | 06:18 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ERicincal

1. did I buy the wrong size rim? Being that I didnt increase the diameter of the front wheels,perhaps I shouldnt have increased the width of the aftermarket wheels?

2. I was thinking to do the Tein CS coilovers next. Will I be able to lower the car without rubbing with this current wheel setup? How much can I lower without rubbing? 1-1.5 inches?

3. Does the car look silly without being lowered?

1. No wheel size is fine you can go wider. I have 20x9 +24 front 20x10.5 +27 rear, Falken 245/35 & 275/30 But you did not post your offsets.

2. Well with the CS you can adjust it to where its best for you so not really a problem. The back you can get real close with minimal rubbing and front you can take out the rubber edge trim on the wheel arch to stop rubbing if need.

3. Yes, but on your way to looking real good

mine look like so

Last edited by aquanuke; 01-01-10 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-01-10 | 07:09 AM
Yes

i don't think you'll have any problem in the front. but you may run into trouble with the rear. one option is to roll your fenders. my advice is to go ahead and get the teins and lower it first. they're adjustable, so if they rub, you can raise it up until you can roll your fenders. but chances are, that won't be necessary. and like someone already said, look into doing something about your stock brakes. with an open face wheel, you want something pretty to look at back there.
Old 01-01-10 | 09:56 AM
talwang

The fitment looks really nice. Lower it to get rid of the SUV stance.
As for the rubbing issue, it is usually not how wide your rim is, it is mostly how aggressive the offset is relative to your rim width.

If you know how to choose offset, the 8"/9" setup can look as aggressive as the 9"/10" setup.

For example, the wheel specs of this particular SC430 are only 20"x8" in the front and 20"x9" in the rear, but the owner is very knowledgeable about choosing +12 all around for the offset.

Therefore, not only his wheel setup saves some weight but also looks much more aggressive than most of the SC430 members here that are running 20" with bigger width.

Old 01-12-10 | 06:00 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Imo any car with aftermarket wheels looks silly unless its lowered.

Do you know what your wheel offsets are? I had the same combo 245/30 and 285/30 on my Sevas wheels and its lowered about 1.5" and I have no problems rubbing. As long as the wheels are not super aggressive it should be no problem to lower.

My rears are 20x10 so your setup should be fine lowered depending on offset