SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Mark Levinson sound system

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-10, 01:19 PM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

Very interested in see photos of the final results and an evaluation of the installation work?
Old 07-10-10, 08:18 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VERY NICE INSTALL!!

What size sub is that? Can you still move your seat all the way back? I'm planning to order a sub right now and want to do something similar. I'm kinda tall so I need to make sure I can move my seat all the way back.

Again, good job!

Originally Posted by bobcat1
FYI, I don't mean to sound like an audio snob, but I consider myself to have somewhat of a trained ear. I have been a 'critical listener' for MANY years-- I've gone through countless hi end amps, processors, and speakers. If you're considering these, then do it-- you will be pleased.

If you want a one-on-one discussion, send me an eMail and we can talk.
Attached Thumbnails Mark Levinson sound system-scsub.jpg  
Old 07-18-10, 04:07 PM
ronsvwthin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by langsdale
im selling my mark levinson system. let me know what you need.
thanks
joe
do you still have the mark levinson system for sale we need the cd ,fm,tape unit let me know
Thanks
Ron
Old 07-18-10, 04:59 PM
jfmjr
Driver School Candidate

Default 6x9 speaker repair

ust had mine repaired and they are like new. This shop is in Florida and they did a great job at the price quoted. http://www.simplyspeakers.com/index.htm
Old 07-19-10, 02:16 PM
bobcat1
Driver School Candidate

Peter - The sub is a JL Audio 13TW5-3.
I wanted to keep it somewhat 'stock' looking, but re-using the existing hole in the back seat was not going to work, as the depth was pretty shallow, and the width was around 8".

After discussing options with my installer, he suggested creating a shelf in the back seat, and it wouldn't be too obtrusive. By using a 'thin' depth sub, the footprint of the box could be pretty low. By using the seat well, we could also save a couple of inches too. I believe this is a 13" sub, based on the model number... I'd have to check the web-site to be sure.

Obviously, the box was custom built, and the seat goes back just shy of the factory limit, but you can have the box built to any specs. If you're willing to give up the stock-look, you can opt for something that utilizes the entire back seat, or even just one side of it. If you want to go with what I did, extend the height of the box so the 'front to back' isn't as deep. Work w/your installer and tell him your requirements, and take the measurements w/the seat all the way back (and reclined to what you need).

After living with the setup for a while now, I wish I would have had the sub placed on the other side (behind the passenger's seat). I carry a briefcase/laptop to work, and it would be nice to be able to utilize the back seat (behind the driver). I fear that the hard drive or screen may not fare to well if placed over that gigantic magnet. Additionally, the exposed amp doesn't do much for me either.

To make full use of the back seat, you may want to have the sub slightly recessed, and have a grating or something over it, so that you could use the entire back seat for as a shelf. Cover everything in matching dyed leather to look even more seamless. You just have to be a little creative... dying the leather, or fabric cover of the sub, etc. Good Luck.
Old 12-18-10, 05:25 AM
defuria
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tfeni52355
You can send your speakers in for repair at SpeakerDoctor in Charlotte, NC and have them fixed for $30-$40 each or upgrade and replace.

I just finished the upgrade/replace. Added the additional amp to drive the sub and couldn't be happier. Much higher quality speakers all around and no ML issues to deal with. No boomy muddy bottom end. Clear, clean sound and as loud as you can stand it.
What did you get? Can you give me the specs. The local shops around do not know squat. Thanks.
Old 12-18-10, 10:30 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

defuria,
Everything you want to know is in here. Please read all of it to get specs, depth etc.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...all-sc430.html

CL members:
There are specialty areas in the bottom section of the main forum page that cover electronics, detailing etc. Please take the time to learn where they are and usual:
search, search, search!
Old 12-25-10, 02:46 PM
Onipse1130
Driver School Candidate

Do you guys suggest doing this yourself if your not really confident in ripping everything apart, or would just bringing the speakers to a local shop for them to install would work to? I was looking into getting the DC gold speakers bobcat mentioned above, but im a little iffy about taking apart the lexus interior.

Last edited by Onipse1130; 12-25-10 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-26-10, 07:13 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You may have answered your own question. If you really don't feel like it's something you could do successfully it might be better to leave it to a professional. Also you could reason that if you're spending the $400 for DC Golds a few additional dollars for the installation shouldn't be a big deal. That said, lots of us have removed and replaced our door panels without serious problems and there is plenty of good information here to guide you. The ZGone post referenced above is especially helpful.

If you decide to proceed in DIY mode you may want to be aware that the service manual procedure requires the battery to be disconnected while the door panel work is being peformed. Besides the potential risk of damage to the audio system there are impact sensors in the doors that are part of the SRS system. Although it's probably not that likely to occur, a surprise airbag deployment could spoil your day.